Romo vs Brady, who's better?

laughedatbytime

who's better?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Who's better, Romo or Brady?

• Tony Romo
    • System guy Tom Brady

So, the Cowgirls went 0-7 without Romo in the lineup, including 0-4 with Matt Cassel starting. In 2008, they went 11-5 with Cassel QBing, including the first game where he played three quarters

This would seem to indicate that Brady seems to indicate that he could be replaced by any other system guy, while Romo is more of a unique talent. And that doesn't even take into account other "advantages" Brady has that wouldn't translate to another team.

So, who's better, Tony, or Tom?

Who's better, easily Brady. Who's more important to their team? I think that question is a toss up, but likely would be Romo

in what way is he better?

Wonder how lcc is going to vote :LOL:

You cannot plug just anyone in and expect the same results that Brady gets. He is a bigger down field threat.

Why do you think he isn't?

His downfield accuracy is actually pretty poor over 20 yards.

Cassel was closer to reproducing Brady's results than Romo's. Brady runs his system better than anyone, to be sure, but the system is at least an equal partner in his accomplishments,

• Like 1

Wonder how lcc is going to vote :LOL:

You cannot plug just anyone in and expect the same results that Brady gets. He is a bigger down field threat.

Why do you think he isn't?

His downfield accuracy is actually pretty poor over 20 yards.

Cassel was closer to reproducing Brady's results than Romo's. Brady runs his system better than anyone, to be sure, but the system is at least an equal partner in his accomplishments,

yes, I can see looking at it from that angle. Who is the bigger playmaker? Romo I would say. He finds a way to make more happen when he's in trouble

I am not saying Matt Cassell has ever been anything spectacular.... but throwing out Cassell stats from 2008?

Come on, man. 7 years ago. That's a *long* time in the NFL.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know you are just trolling your SOCN spouse, but I expect better of a stat geek.

PS Romo is statistically a very good quarterback and definitely in the top 10 in the league. Romo haters either just don't want to admit it, or don't know enough about the game to realize it.

PS Part 2 Brady certainly benefits from a system. But so did a guy named Montana. The QB still has to execute.

• Like 3

I am not saying Matt Cassell has ever been anything spectacular.... but throwing out Cassell stats from 2008?

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know you are just trolling your SOCN spouse, but I expect better of a stat geek.

Good point. Cassel was seeing his first NFL action when he took over in the first quarter against the Chiefs and Bernard Pollard PBUH. He had years of experience when he settled into his interim role with Dallas and knew much better the speed of the game, etc...

Passer rating of 89.4 in 2008 as a Pat, 75.4 as a Cowboy...in a league where overall rankings are much higher today.

Sure, it's a small sample, and given the opportunity he might have gone 253-396 with 2884 yards, 17 TDs and 6 Ints with a 10-1 record, but I wouldn't wager too much on it...

Wouldn't it be fun to see Brady in any other offense? Does anyone really think he'd be just as successful in ANY other?

• Like 1

Romo has 2 fewer playoff wins than Mark Sanchez and Trent Dilfer, and one more than Tim Tebow.

Some players can't handle the big time.

And Bucky Dent was a greater player than Ted Williams, because he's "clutch".

Reductio ad absurdum arguments may work in the cesspool, but not here.

I assume youre kidding. :) Romo is the most overrated QB of all time.

He's not necessarily overrated. Look what happened to Dallas without him. It's just his career body of work doesn't merit any discussion among the all-time greats. He's similar to the Don Mattingly of his era. The difference mainly being when it came time to truly deliver, he was usually at his worst. What was it, 3 seasons in a row that a win in the final game would have gotten them to the playoffs, and he blew all three?

• Like 2

Romo has 2 fewer playoff wins than Mark Sanchez and Trent Dilfer, and one more than Tim Tebow.

He's been pretty damn good in big games. He's had a couple of serious bone head plays but the Romo haters seem to focus solely on those and forget about some of the more spectacular plays. Not to mention dropped balls. Including one against the Giants, in the end zone, to seal a game.

You could insert the name of any Dallas Cowboy QB in that statement and be fairly accurate. Aikman, HOF be damned, is equally overrated and, like a guy named Brady and a guy named Montana, benefited from a solid system and some great talent around him. But those guys also have the heart of a champion and I think the one fair knock on Romo is he does not appear to have that. He's been a very good regular season QB, but Romo does appear to tense up during the big moment, especially in the playoffs. That said, I would be willing to bet the fans of 20 to 25 teams in the league would absolutely be willing to trade out their QB for Romo.

The Cowboys are the Yankees of the NFL. The glamour team and all that. They get all sorts of unnecessary attention for it. The "America's Team" is sort of accurate. Very few fans have a "meh, so what" attitude toward Dallas. It's a love/hate thing.... just like our political system. 'mericuh! That's really not Romo's fault.

Good point. Cassel was seeing his first NFL action when he took over in the first quarter against the Chiefs and Bernard Pollard PBUH. He had years of experience when he settled into his interim role with Dallas and knew much better the speed of the game, etc...

Passer rating of 89.4 in 2008 as a Pat, 75.4 as a Cowboy...in a league where overall rankings are much higher today.

Sure, it's a small sample, and given the opportunity he might have gone 253-396 with 2884 yards, 17 TDs and 6 Ints with a 10-1 record, but I wouldn't wager too much on it...

Wouldn't it be fun to see Brady in any other offense? Does anyone really think he'd be just as successful in ANY other?

I would agree that Cassell has overall declined. I would also agree that he certainly benefited from the system he was in during his tenure in New England.

I would also agree that Brady very much so benefits from his system. But I would continue to suggest that he executes in that system. Like I said in another post here, there are a few system QBs with a few rings in the HOF, particularly recently..... Aikman and Montana come to mind immediately.

But, yeah, those system QBs still have to execute.

I guess the real test of any QB, though, would be to stick them in a place like Jacksonville. It's just an awful, poorly run, disaster of a franchise. Exhibit A: Blaine Gabbert. Don't get me wrong... Gabbert is a dud. But he was just awful in Jacksonville and is now somewhat serviceable in San Fran. Sure, we could argue he benefits from some experience and a change of scenery, but he also has better talent around him now. QBs, no matter how good they are, are still at the mercy of their line and the position players around them. So, sure, stick Brady in Jax and he's not going to have all those rings or a HOF nod. But does that say anything negative about Brady, or something very impressive about Belichick and what he has built/accomplished?

• Like 1

You could insert the name of any Dallas Cowboy QB in that statement and be fairly accurate. Aikman, HOF be damned, is equally overrated and, like a guy named Brady and a guy named Montana, benefited from a solid system and some great talent around him. But those guys also have the heart of a champion and I think the one fair knock on Romo is he does not appear to have that. He's been a very good regular season QB, but Romo does appear to tense up during the big moment, especially in the playoffs. That said, I would be willing to bet the fans of 20 to 25 teams in the league would absolutely be willing to trade out their QB for Romo.

The Cowboys are the Yankees of the NFL. The glamour team and all that. They get all sorts of unnecessary attention for it. The "America's Team" is sort of accurate. Very few fans have a "meh, so what" attitude toward Dallas. It's a love/hate thing.... just like our political system. 'mericuh! That's really not Romo's fault.

Aikman was deadly accurate in the playoffs and to cast him off as an overrated "system" QB is ignorant. Same with Brady. I think Brady is the only player left from his first Super Bowl win. The only constant, other than Belicheck, is Brady.

He's been pretty damn good in big games. He's had a couple of serious bone head plays but the Romo haters seem to focus solely on those and forget about some of the more spectacular plays. Not to mention dropped balls. Including one against the Giants, in the end zone, to seal a game.

They focus on the boneheads that's what he did in the biggest games of his career. No one remembers regular season games. The knock people have against Peyton Manning is that he chokes in the playoffs, which may or may not be the case. But he at least gets the team there. Romo is good, but being in Dallas makes him overhyped. A lot of teams would take him. I prefer Eli for my team. The Giants could be 9-1 right now except for a few boneheaded clock management issues from the coaches. They'll still make the playoffs and get a home game, and then who knows from there?

They focus on the boneheads that's what he did in the biggest games of his career. No one remembers regular season games. The knock people have against Peyton Manning is that he chokes in the playoffs, which may or may not be the case. But he at least gets the team there. Romo is good, but being in Dallas makes him overhyped. A lot of teams would take him. I prefer Eli for my team. The Giants could be 9-1 right now except for a few boneheaded clock management issues from the coaches. They'll still make the playoffs and get a home game, and then who knows from there?

He made those bone-headed plays for sure. But it's not one-sided as most Romo haters make it out to be. Wade Phillips set Romo back three years (at least) in his development. .

Have you forgotten 4th and 2 against the Packers last year?

I consider Tom Brady to be the best NFL player of all time, and I'm not a Patriots fan. Anyone who has won multiple super bowls and still yells at players when they make a mistake during a preseason game is the kind of guy I want on my team. Unfortunately for me, I have Sam Bradford and Mark Sanchez.
  • Like 1

With all of the skins on Brady's wall? Brady of course. He's been the best QB of his era.

Would you trade Romo for Brady for the 2015 Cowboys?

Aikman got into the HOF based on his work as a broadcaster.

I hate the Cowboys more than any team other than the Patriots. I wouldn't even hate the Patriots if they weren't cheaters. Romo has been good, if not great, in the clutch, by any measure.