Jump to content


Offically retired rush now after this r40!!!!!! dvd


62 replies to this topic

#41 fraroc

fraroc

    Solar Federalist

  • Members
  • 2464 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Rock music, roller coasters, aviation, writing novels,

Posted 26 November 2015 - 06:28 PM

View PostSlim, on 26 November 2015 - 06:21 PM, said:

View PostTony R, on 26 November 2015 - 04:56 PM, said:

View Postfraroc, on 26 November 2015 - 04:54 PM, said:

View Postnicky6, on 24 November 2015 - 05:14 PM, said:

Ok, I love rush and will always be my fav band. But for me. things have to end and i'am not fooling myself anymore. They are done. But to me. the ending (at least for poor Geddys voice) was the end of the first leg of the snakes tour, he still sounded really good here. I feel there wasn't  a need for all these 2 nd legs and clockwork angels tour could have been better vocally without  a second leg and  a much unNecessary  time machine tour.. So, this lastest r40 dvd, I really wanted to like. I didn't. that horrible straining singing is atrosich...Just cant stand to hear it. Guy sounds like hes recovering from a stroke.. So, the fist leg of snakes and beyond a lighted stage is my final send off. I will always think of r30 as a great tour were Geddy still sounded reasonable. But I will always cherish my past tour bootlegs too..R.I.P. RUSH.. The only thing new I will buy from them unless its old shows from 1976-1997.. that's it...

Listen to R40.

Geddy's voice is just fine

No it isn't.
At times it's so bad it is tragic. Lakeside Park :facepalm:

I do think you have to be a Rush fan to accept Geddy's voice these days I'm afraid. Rush fans are used to it; have a certain affection for it. Stepping back and listening more objectively, he yelps and howls through their classic tunes like a wounded labrador.

But he's NEVER EVER sang out of tune before. He may struggle to hit high notes, but he's always remained in tune. To say he sounds anywhere remotely near the level of "tone deaf" is pure f***ing garbage.

Edited by fraroc, 26 November 2015 - 06:29 PM.


Sponsored Post

#42 Union 5-3992

Union 5-3992

    A Pale Boy with only Half a Brain

  • Members *
  • 21099 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The rich and sunny planet Ursa Minor Beta (or Buffalo NY)

Posted 26 November 2015 - 06:43 PM

View Postfraroc, on 26 November 2015 - 06:28 PM, said:

View PostSlim, on 26 November 2015 - 06:21 PM, said:

View PostTony R, on 26 November 2015 - 04:56 PM, said:

View Postfraroc, on 26 November 2015 - 04:54 PM, said:

View Postnicky6, on 24 November 2015 - 05:14 PM, said:

Ok, I love rush and will always be my fav band. But for me. things have to end and i'am not fooling myself anymore. They are done. But to me. the ending (at least for poor Geddys voice) was the end of the first leg of the snakes tour, he still sounded really good here. I feel there wasn't  a need for all these 2 nd legs and clockwork angels tour could have been better vocally without  a second leg and  a much unNecessary  time machine tour.. So, this lastest r40 dvd, I really wanted to like. I didn't. that horrible straining singing is atrosich...Just cant stand to hear it. Guy sounds like hes recovering from a stroke.. So, the fist leg of snakes and beyond a lighted stage is my final send off. I will always think of r30 as a great tour were Geddy still sounded reasonable. But I will always cherish my past tour bootlegs too..R.I.P. RUSH.. The only thing new I will buy from them unless its old shows from 1976-1997.. that's it...

Listen to R40.

Geddy's voice is just fine

No it isn't.
At times it's so bad it is tragic. Lakeside Park :facepalm:

I do think you have to be a Rush fan to accept Geddy's voice these days I'm afraid. Rush fans are used to it; have a certain affection for it. Stepping back and listening more objectively, he yelps and howls through their classic tunes like a wounded labrador.

But he's NEVER EVER sang out of tune before. He may struggle to hit high notes, but he's always remained in tune. To say he sounds anywhere remotely near the level of "tone deaf" is pure f***ing garbage.
Yeah, he isn't David Lee Roth or anything

#43 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

    Beauty and the Bass

  • Members
  • 21779 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Phoenix, Arizona
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 26 November 2015 - 08:11 PM

View PostUnion 5-3992, on 26 November 2015 - 06:43 PM, said:

View Postfraroc, on 26 November 2015 - 06:28 PM, said:

View PostSlim, on 26 November 2015 - 06:21 PM, said:

View PostTony R, on 26 November 2015 - 04:56 PM, said:

View Postfraroc, on 26 November 2015 - 04:54 PM, said:

View Postnicky6, on 24 November 2015 - 05:14 PM, said:

Ok, I love rush and will always be my fav band. But for me. things have to end and i'am not fooling myself anymore. They are done. But to me. the ending (at least for poor Geddys voice) was the end of the first leg of the snakes tour, he still sounded really good here. I feel there wasn't  a need for all these 2 nd legs and clockwork angels tour could have been better vocally without  a second leg and  a much unNecessary  time machine tour.. So, this lastest r40 dvd, I really wanted to like. I didn't. that horrible straining singing is atrosich...Just cant stand to hear it. Guy sounds like hes recovering from a stroke.. So, the fist leg of snakes and beyond a lighted stage is my final send off. I will always think of r30 as a great tour were Geddy still sounded reasonable. But I will always cherish my past tour bootlegs too..R.I.P. RUSH.. The only thing new I will buy from them unless its old shows from 1976-1997.. that's it...

Listen to R40.

Geddy's voice is just fine

No it isn't.
At times it's so bad it is tragic. Lakeside Park :facepalm:

I do think you have to be a Rush fan to accept Geddy's voice these days I'm afraid. Rush fans are used to it; have a certain affection for it. Stepping back and listening more objectively, he yelps and howls through their classic tunes like a wounded labrador.

But he's NEVER EVER sang out of tune before. He may struggle to hit high notes, but he's always remained in tune. To say he sounds anywhere remotely near the level of "tone deaf" is pure f***ing garbage.
Yeah, he isn't David Lee Roth or anything

He's never quite sung out of tune but he's been slightly off pitch live in the past. (i.e. AFTKs on DS disc 3) He's actually gotten a lot better with that in the last 20 years or so.

Edited by EagleMoon, 26 November 2015 - 08:13 PM.


#44 ReGorLaTroy

ReGorLaTroy

    Modern Day Alice Cooper

  • Members *
  • 12548 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North of Dragontown

Posted 26 November 2015 - 08:44 PM

View Postnicky6, on 24 November 2015 - 05:14 PM, said:

Ok, I love rush and will always be my fav band. But for me. things have to end and i'am not fooling myself anymore. They are done. But to me. the ending (at least for poor Geddys voice) was the end of the first leg of the snakes tour, he still sounded really good here. I feel there wasn't  a need for all these 2 nd legs and clockwork angels tour could have been better vocally without  a second leg and  a much unNecessary  time machine tour.. So, this lastest r40 dvd, I really wanted to like. I didn't. that horrible straining singing is atrosich...Just cant stand to hear it. Guy sounds like hes recovering from a stroke.. So, the fist leg of snakes and beyond a lighted stage is my final send off. I will always think of r30 as a great tour were Geddy still sounded reasonable. But I will always cherish my past tour bootlegs too..R.I.P. RUSH.. The only thing new I will buy from them unless its old shows from 1976-1997.. that's it...
Ged and Alex just left, we had them for Thanksgiving dinner...they are devastated by your decision! :)

#45 x1yyz

x1yyz

    The Shark Whisperer

  • Members
  • 8821 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Oakland, CA
  • Interests:Stuff. And things.

Posted 27 November 2015 - 12:20 AM

View PostTony R, on 26 November 2015 - 04:46 PM, said:

The rest of you...locked in with me.

:scared: :outtahere:

#46 krlowe

krlowe

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 913 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Murrells Inlet, SC
  • Interests:Professional Musician, Music Educator

Posted 27 November 2015 - 10:44 AM

Preface: I hold a degree in vocal performance, and am a full-time choral director.

Good:

Geddy is holding up relatively well, considering that he may be suffering from vocal atrophy. Essentially the cells in his voice box, and muscular area are weakining, or may be damaged.

Bad:

Geddy sings as if he is young, and he needs to sing as if he is older. I'm not sure if he has worked with a vocal coach in recent times, but a few examples below will illustrate what i'm saying.

1. His middle/upper tessitura shouldn't sustain long notes anymore. Currently he holds out notes, and sings with that slower 'old person' vibrato. That needs to           stop. He needs crisper ends of notes. He needs to pop the word, and decay. He lacks breath support as well since he's trying to sing all the          way through        the phrase. One example:
    
     NOW
    "A modern day warriorrrrrr mean mean striiiiihhhde, today's tom sawyer mean mean priiiihde"-
     OR or "catch the MISSSSTT" or "catch the DRRRIIIFFFT"=no, sounds weaker and exposes all of his vocal weaknesses

     Change it to. (commas=breath)
    "A modern day warrior mean mean stride, today's tom sawyer, mean mean pride"-make ends of words in the text shorter, crisper  
  
2. He MUST stop breaking into notes. Just listen to anything past Snakes and Arrows live, he breaks his voice into notes which can weaken his voice.
3. Any unneeded vocal 'noise' needs to stop. (Spirit of Radio in chorus, "oh yeahhh!", etc)
4. His intonation (tuning) isn't as accurate as it can be, because his voice is weak from doing all of the above. Listen to the intro of TS on Clockwork Angels,
    he is an entire half-step low on the opening lines. So yes, he's singing out of tune in small places here and there. He is NOT tone deaf at all.

He is older, but he needs to take some vocal coaching. If he has one, he needs to find a new one. The last time I met him (CW tour) he barley spoke, saving his voice for the show. I'll enjoy him until the end, but he's getting older. That's OK with me.

#47 GabesCavesOfIce

GabesCavesOfIce

    The God Of Balance

  • Members *
  • 6471 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Miamisburg, OH. Miamisburg, Oh. Miamisburg, Oh. Miamisburg, Oh
  • Interests:Miamisburg, Oh

    Outland Empire (located on the opposite US coast from Johnny and Dave).

Posted 27 November 2015 - 01:36 PM

View Postnicky6, on 24 November 2015 - 05:14 PM, said:

Ok, I love rush and will always be my fav band. But for me. things have to end and i'am not fooling myself anymore. They are done. But to me. the ending (at least for poor Geddys voice) was the end of the first leg of the snakes tour, he still sounded really good here. I feel there wasn't  a need for all these 2 nd legs and clockwork angels tour could have been better vocally without  a second leg and  a much unNecessary  time machine tour.. So, this lastest r40 dvd, I really wanted to like. I didn't. that horrible straining singing is atrosich...Just cant stand to hear it. Guy sounds like hes recovering from a stroke.. So, the fist leg of snakes and beyond a lighted stage is my final send off. I will always think of r30 as a great tour were Geddy still sounded reasonable. But I will always cherish my past tour bootlegs too..R.I.P. RUSH.. The only thing new I will buy from them unless its old shows from 1976-1997.. that's it...

Since Snakes tour we got rare gems-
Grand Designs
The Body Electric
Territories
Analog Kid
Marathon

Prelude
Presentation
Xanadu
Jacob
Anthem
what Youre Doing
Lakeside

His voice was better this tour. as we age, most of us can't do what we once did as well. That's life. Its still worth living. His singing on Ladder was excellent on R40.


.

#48 AnEggplant

AnEggplant

    Rushaholic

  • Members
  • 1634 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Earth
  • Interests:Coming up with things to put in my "interests" box.

Posted 27 November 2015 - 02:03 PM

Two words:

Denver show

#49 Del_Duio

Del_Duio

    The Professor

  • Members
  • 4378 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Bass, Drums, some guitar but I suck

    --

    Try my new retro action RPG game "Just a Cleric" on Steam! http://store.steampowered.com/app/467330/

Posted 27 November 2015 - 02:14 PM

View Postnicky6, on 24 November 2015 - 05:14 PM, said:

that horrible straining singing is atrosich...


"Wha-? What's this gotta' do with me?"
Posted Image

#50 losingit2k

losingit2k

    Setlist Swami

  • Members *
  • 7471 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Miami
  • Interests:Music, Movies, Sports

Posted 27 November 2015 - 08:13 PM

What the Hell is your point here?

:codger:

#51 nicky6

nicky6

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 682 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 27 November 2015 - 10:50 PM

His best live singing in the GUP tour video.. ever... Period!

#52 krlowe

krlowe

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 913 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Murrells Inlet, SC
  • Interests:Professional Musician, Music Educator

Posted 30 November 2015 - 09:27 PM

After watching most of R40 now, I disagree with my previous post. Ged doesn't need a new vocal coach, he's doing just fine for his age. He just needs to stop breaking into notes, and sing a little more crisp on ends of notes here and there.

I enjoyed How It Is a lot, singing was strong.

#53 GabesCavesOfIce

GabesCavesOfIce

    The God Of Balance

  • Members *
  • 6471 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Miamisburg, OH. Miamisburg, Oh. Miamisburg, Oh. Miamisburg, Oh
  • Interests:Miamisburg, Oh

    Outland Empire (located on the opposite US coast from Johnny and Dave).

Posted 01 December 2015 - 01:40 PM

View Postnicky6, on 27 November 2015 - 10:50 PM, said:

His best live singing in the GUP tour video.. ever... Period!


...Nassau Coliseum, 1981...Period!

#54 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 42287 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 01 December 2015 - 01:49 PM

View PostGabrielgil513, on 01 December 2015 - 01:40 PM, said:

View Postnicky6, on 27 November 2015 - 10:50 PM, said:

His best live singing in the GUP tour video.. ever... Period!


...Nassau Coliseum, 1981...Period!

May 20, 1981?

#55 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 42287 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 01 December 2015 - 01:50 PM

View PostTony R, on 26 November 2015 - 04:46 PM, said:

View PostEagleMoon, on 26 November 2015 - 03:57 PM, said:

View PostTony R, on 26 November 2015 - 03:53 PM, said:

View Post1-0-0-1-0-0-1, on 26 November 2015 - 03:13 PM, said:

View PostEagleMoon, on 24 November 2015 - 05:16 PM, said:

And this is worth starting a new thread over? The same conversation is going on in other threads already.

nicky6, please stop filling up this forum with redundant threads. Thanks.

You should have a forum area just for the special people and neurotics.

Then again, the rest of the forum might be a bit empty...

A sort of cyber white padded room.


Fraroc on his own with a pile of CDs by bands who are going to retire tomorrow.
Nicky6 in an echo chamber
Segue with his own hall of mirrors

The rest of you...locked in with me.

That was very funny.

#56 GabesCavesOfIce

GabesCavesOfIce

    The God Of Balance

  • Members *
  • 6471 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Miamisburg, OH. Miamisburg, Oh. Miamisburg, Oh. Miamisburg, Oh
  • Interests:Miamisburg, Oh

    Outland Empire (located on the opposite US coast from Johnny and Dave).

Posted 01 December 2015 - 01:52 PM

View PostLorraine, on 01 December 2015 - 01:49 PM, said:

View PostGabrielgil513, on 01 December 2015 - 01:40 PM, said:

View Postnicky6, on 27 November 2015 - 10:50 PM, said:

His best live singing in the GUP tour video.. ever... Period!


...Nassau Coliseum, 1981...Period!

May 20, 1981?


My debut in the same room as Rush in May 1981!


.

#57 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 42287 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 01 December 2015 - 01:55 PM

View PostGabrielgil513, on 01 December 2015 - 01:52 PM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 01 December 2015 - 01:49 PM, said:

View PostGabrielgil513, on 01 December 2015 - 01:40 PM, said:

View Postnicky6, on 27 November 2015 - 10:50 PM, said:

His best live singing in the GUP tour video.. ever... Period!


...Nassau Coliseum, 1981...Period!

May 20, 1981?


My debut in the same room as Rush in May 1981!


.
I have the bootleg and I've never listened to it.  Will listen to it right now!

#58 Chicken hawk

Chicken hawk

    The Sphere

  • Members
  • 8319 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Maine
  • Interests:The Ocean

Posted 01 December 2015 - 01:55 PM

It will go on !       Adrenaline Surge !

#59 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

    73

  • Admin
  • 33770 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New York

Posted 01 December 2015 - 02:32 PM

View PostGabrielgil513, on 01 December 2015 - 01:52 PM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 01 December 2015 - 01:49 PM, said:

View PostGabrielgil513, on 01 December 2015 - 01:40 PM, said:

View Postnicky6, on 27 November 2015 - 10:50 PM, said:

His best live singing in the GUP tour video.. ever... Period!


...Nassau Coliseum, 1981...Period!

May 20, 1981?


My debut in the same room as Rush in May 1981!


I was at that show, too.

#60 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 42287 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 01 December 2015 - 02:36 PM

View Post1-0-0-1-0-0-1, on 01 December 2015 - 02:32 PM, said:

View PostGabrielgil513, on 01 December 2015 - 01:52 PM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 01 December 2015 - 01:49 PM, said:

View PostGabrielgil513, on 01 December 2015 - 01:40 PM, said:

View Postnicky6, on 27 November 2015 - 10:50 PM, said:

His best live singing in the GUP tour video.. ever... Period!


...Nassau Coliseum, 1981...Period!

May 20, 1981?


My debut in the same room as Rush in May 1981!


I was at that show, too.

I thought that was you in the audience yelling when they did The Camera Eye. ;)

The sound of the bootleg isn't that great, but the enthusiasm of that audience makes up for it.



Reply to this topic



  


0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users