Steve Smith back in Journey

Rushman14

Cool.

JOURNEY and THE DOOBIE BROTHERS will launch the San Francisco Fest 2016 tour on Thursday, May 12, again bringing together two of the iconic groups that helped define the San Francisco sound. The tour launches at the Irvine Meadows Amphitheatre in Irvine, California — with concerts scheduled through August 30, and includes special guest Dave Mason. A limited number of VIP packages will be available and include premium tickets, pre-show party, exclusive merchandise and more.

Tickets go on sale to the general public beginning Saturday, December 5. A fan pre-sale will be offered starting Monday, November 30.

Neal Schon (founding member and lead guitarist), original member Ross Valory (bass), and longtime members Jonathan Cain (keyboardist) and Arnel Pineda (lead singer), are welcoming virtuoso drummer Steve Smith back into JOURNEY, marking the first time he will perform with the band since 1998. Schon and Smith have always remained close friends and musical collaborators. Smith has lent his incredible talent to several of Schon's solo albums, including critically acclaimed "The Calling", and, most recently, "Vortex".

Schon was thrilled when Smith accepted his invitation to rejoin JOURNEY, exclaiming: "I'm so looking forward to the very exciting 2016 we have planned, starting with my 'Neal Vortex Schon' Japan tour in February and then our major summer tour with THE DOOBIE BROTHERS and Dave Mason. We will see you all soon!!!!"

THE DOOBIE BROTHERS' Tom Johnston (founding member, vocals/guitar), Patrick Simmons (founding member, vocals/guitar), and longtime member John McFee (guitars/strings/vocals) are adding LITTLE FEAT co-founder Bill Payne to their band on the 2016 tour. Payne performed on many of THE DOOBIE BROTHERS studio albums as well as on the road; a relationship the band is looking forward to rekindling.

"It's gonna be a great summer for fans of Bay Area music, and for guys like us who have the pleasure of teaming up with our good friends from JOURNEY and the Dave Mason band," said Tom Johnston and Patrick Simmons of THE DOOBIE BROTHERS. "We look forward to taking the stage with JOURNEY. We love their songs, and think we will all complement each other musically. It is going to be a powerful tour. We can't wait to share it with the fans!"

http://www.blabbermo...oobie-brothers/

Read more at http://www.blabbermo...T4i0I7Rlm2YD.99

Edited by Rushman14

No Steve Perry, no care.

That's exactly what I thought as well.

Me too.

And even though I was never a big Doobie Brothers fan, what good are they without Michael McDonald?

The pre Michael McDonald era ruled.

China Grove

Long Train Runnin'

Listen To The Music

Black Water

etc...

• Like 4

who cares. tons of bands and musicans can play this music in their sleep. must be boring as hell to play the same songs for 30 years over and over. kinda boring. write some new material. the drum parts are written. easy stuff to play. Dean killed on that gig! great drummer and singer. shame drugs go to him. Dean is a much better fit for journey than 60 year old Steve Smith. He doesn't hit hard anymore. he's a jazz guy now in his old age.he's a great drummer tho

No Steve Perry, no care.

Me too.

And even though I was never a big Doobie Brothers fan, what good are they without Michael McDonald?

China Grove

Long Train Runnin'

Listen To The Music

Black Water

etc...

I'm so used to him being their lead singer that I forgot he wasn't always.

Agree with you that their pre-MM days were better though now that you mention it. (Remembering Black Water and singing along with it with my friends, especially the end of it when we each sang the different parts. Good memories!)

Edited by Lorraine

Dean killed on that gig! great drummer and singer. shame drugs go to him. Dean is a much better fit for journey than 60 year old Steve Smith.

Thanks for the info. I wondered why they got rid of Dean as drummer - he had a drug problem I take it. Real pity. 100% agree with you that he was a great drummer and singer. Big loss for Journey. I really liked his singing and drumming.

No Steve Perry, no care.

Me too.

China Grove

Long Train Runnin'

Listen To The Music

Black Water

etc...

I saw the doobs open for traffic back in the late 90s in denver.

A steely dan connection with michael and skunk.

Strangely enough i appreciste journey now more than i did than in the 80s.

Dean killed on that gig! great drummer and singer. shame drugs go to him. Dean is a much better fit for journey than 60 year old Steve Smith.

Thanks for the info. I wondered why they got rid of Dean as drummer - he had a drug problem I take it. Real pity. 100% agree with you that he was a great drummer and singer. Big loss for Journey. I really liked his singing and drumming.

He beat his wife up and was arrested so they had to dump him.

Here's the mug shots:

journey-drummer-dean-castronovo-arrested-rape-wife-lead.jpg?w=600

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/files/2015/07/Deen-Castronovo-Marion-County-Sherrifs-Office.jpg