R40 Performances Better Than The Official Release

malnar

Geddy's vocals and Alex's flubs on R40 Live left me pretty bummed-out, so I've been seeking-out decent-sounding boots of better performances from the tour. I just found one of the final night at the LA Forum titled 'Born To Move The World' (https://youtu.be/Ll5NmmaMTW0), and the difference is staggering. Geddy's vocals are pretty solid throughout, and Alex is on fire. Seems like they really found their groove later on in the tour. I've heard the Newark and NYC shows were great as well. Any other nights/recordings that stand-out?

You might find better performances, but you'll never find better quality audio, which is the main reason I find most boots unlistenable.

I agree about the boots. I know lots of folks love them but I have never heard even one that I could make it all the way through to be honest. I judge everything against ATWAS unfortunately and nothing ever has ever done it for me like it does.... :codger: :sigh:
  • Like 3

You might find better performances, but you'll never find better quality audio, which is the main reason I find most boots unlistenable.

Obviously, but the higher quality audio just makes the flaws in the performance stand-out that much more. There's a number of great-sounding boots out there that rival the quality of some of the official releases. In this case, the LA show's energy and performance level make it far more listenable to me than the higher quality audio of the official release. It's unfortunate that Rush didn't record more nights from these last few tours to pick from as some nights have been markedly better than others.

Edited by malnar
  • Like 1

I thought he sounded awful at Philly even though the quality of the boot is outstanding.

Tulsa is good. The only drawback (in my opinion) is that it was the first show and Alex especially is kind of tight concentrating on his playing more than being his usual self on stage.

I haven't seen the official dvd yet, but I wouldn't let flaws bother me. They add charm to the show, in my opinion.

I thought he sounded awful at Philly even though the quality of the boot is outstanding.

Tulsa is good. The only drawback (in my opinion) is that it was the first show and Alex especially is kind of tight concentrating on his playing more than being his usual self on stage.

I haven't seen the official dvd yet, but I wouldn't let flaws bother me. They add charm to the show, in my opinion.

Sure some flaws can be charming, but in this case, Geddy's vocal struggles and Alex's 'new parts' make the official release a tough listen for me. The general energy level seems low compared to other shows on the tour. Stoked that they really killed it on other nights though!

Geddy's vocals and Alex's flubs on R40 Live left me pretty bummed-out, so I've been seeking-out decent-sounding boots of better performances from the tour. I just found one of the final night at the LA Forum titled 'Born To Move The World' (https://youtu.be/Ll5NmmaMTW0), and the difference is staggering. Geddy's vocals are pretty solid throughout, and Alex is on fire. Seems like they really found their groove later on in the tour. I've heard the Newark and NYC shows were great as well. Any other nights/recordings that stand-out?

There is a link to the Dallas show on Different Stages somewhere, I can find it for you. It is the setlist with YYZ instead of Camera Eye or Red Barchetta; and Distant Early Warning instead of Between the Wheels. (no Losing It. ) The sound and energy are really excellent though! I haven't had a chance to listen to the LA one all the way through but I have really enjoyed the Dallas one all summer.

OK, here is the link to the thread; ctbadger was kind enough to archive 30 different shows in mega.nz and he has the link in this thread-

http://www.therushfo...-30-recordings/

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 1

Sure some flaws can be charming, but in this case, Geddy's vocal struggles and Alex's 'new parts' make the official release a tough listen for me. The general energy level seems low compared to other shows on the tour. Stoked that they really killed it on other nights though!

Bummed out? Tough listen? I'm bummed out you and others are such a tough audience.

Not at all really, just a little shocked by such hard critics on this site. They didn't film and release their best performance on R40. Aw shit, I didn't notice!! I forgot to scour you tube for a better performance, goddam it. What's wrong with me??

Nothing. Same with the complainers with nothing good to say. Yup, nothing wrong with y'all either. Keep up the good bitching. Y'all help keep this site alive. :LOL:

• Like 2

I agree about the boots. I know lots of folks love them but I have never heard even one that I could make it all the way through to be honest. I judge everything against ATWAS unfortunately and nothing ever has ever done it for me like it does.... :codger: :sigh:

I agree 100%.

Though there are quite a few overdubs and corrections on ATWAS it is awesome depiction of the band during that era.

I wish we'd have got a Hemispheres era official release...

• Like 3

Bummed out? Tough listen? I'm bummed out you and others are such a tough audience.

Not at all really, just a little shocked by such hard critics on this site. They didn't film and release their best performance on R40. Aw shit, I didn't notice!! I forgot to scour you tube for a better performance, goddam it. What's wrong with me??

Nothing. Same with the complainers with nothing good to say. Yup, nothing wrong with y'all either. Keep up the good bitching. Y'all help keep this site alive. :LOL:

:) thank you!

I was going to say, spoken by someone with less than 200 posts. Yeah right. :D

I'm bummed-out that you think I have nothing good to say. The band played great on a number of nights on this tour. The officially released Toronto show just wasn't one of them. I'm glad you and others are enjoying it. I'm totally rocking-out to the LA Forum show, and I'm about to check out the other shows recommended on this thread.

Edited by malnar

What can I say? I lurk. A lot.

I bummed-out that you think I have nothing good to say. The band played great on a number of nights on this tour. The officially released Toronto show just wasn't one of them. I'm glad you and others are enjoying it. I'm totally rocking-out to the LA Forum show, and I'm about to check out the other shows recommended on this thread.

I think what people fail to realize is that it's not complaining for the sake of complaining but because it's so heartbreaking to hear the flubs, the bad vocals, the sound issues, or the video issues on live recordings. It's hard to hear/see the slide happening. It's sad.

• Like 1

What can I say? I lurk. A lot.

A forum stalker, I get it. :D

There is a link to the Dallas show on Different Stages somewhere, I can find it for you. It is the setlist with YYZ instead of Camera Eye or Red Barchetta; and Distant Early Warning instead of Between the Wheels. (no Losing It. ) The sound and energy are really excellent though! I haven't had a chance to listen to the LA one all the way through but I have really enjoyed the Dallas one all summer.

OK, here is the link to the thread; ctbadger was kind enough to archive 30 different shows in mega.nz and he has the link in this thread-

http://www.therushfo...-30-recordings/

Wow! I'll check out that Dallas show. Thanks a bunch!

• Like 1

I bummed-out that you think I have nothing good to say. The band played great on a number of nights on this tour. The officially released Toronto show just wasn't one of them. I'm glad you and others are enjoying it. I'm totally rocking-out to the LA Forum show, and I'm about to check out the other shows recommended on this thread.

Sorry, I meant it as "nothing good to say about R40 Live". I guess I thought that was implied enough. :)

I think what people fail to realize is that it's not complaining for the sake of complaining but because it's so heartbreaking to hear the flubs, the bad vocals, the sound issues, or the video issues on live recordings. It's hard to hear/see the slide happening. It's sad.

What's sad for me is that the official live releases from the last few tours have been captured on off nights for the band. I wish they would've sprung for recording audio/video from more nights over the course of the tour. Odds are, they have board recordings archived from every night. I'm hoping we'll see more professionally mixed shows from various tours released in the future. In the meantime, there's plenty of great-sounding boots floating around out there...

• Like 1

Sorry, I meant it as "nothing good to say about R40 Live". I guess I thought that was implied enough. :)

Neil sounds great on R40 Live. I guess I thought that was implied enough. ;)