Step 2 - Wiping iPhone 5 NSA clean

Rick N. Backer

Let me start by saying I appreciate the resource some of you are with your tech knowledge.

I am giving my phone to a colleague, which is why I needed to get my pictures saved. I frankly think she and our IT guy are creeps. So before I give her my iPhone 5, I'd like to make sure nothing remains on it. I access bank accounts, monitor my kids' Instagrams, all sorts of stuff I want no one but my family accessing. How is that best done, leaving the phone operational?

After you wipe it, put this image back on just the mess with them...

http://resources1.news.com.au/images/2014/07/31/1227008/967781-df807fd6-1878-11e4-af9d-7fe33283992e.jpg

http://resources1.news.com.au/images/2014/07/31/1227008/967781-df807fd6-1878-11e4-af9d-7fe33283992e.jpg

• Like 3

There's an option to reset the phone back to factory specs in the settings. Doesn't that wipe out everything?

As far as I know it does. I've done this a few times and everything was gone.

• Like 1

It will delete files most likely but it's sometimes possible to recover deleted files if the snoopy person in question wants to put the effort in, even after a reformat sometimes. It's very easy on a FAT32 filesystem as is used by camera / MP3 player / Android (etc) memory cards, less so probably on an iPhone, never tried it myself but I suspect still possible.

To overcome this, applications which will "scrub" deleted data can be used; there might even be one built in or bundled. These will overwrite the actual content in the filesystem a few times, and defeat attempts to recover it.

Googled this one http://www.safewiper.com/ios-data-eraser.html

Never touch Apple stuff myself so no idea if it works well, but in principle it's the sort of thing you need if paranoid (most people won't try to recover deleted files or information from a reformatted filesystem, but it's possible).

It will delete files most likely but it's sometimes possible to recover deleted files if the snoopy person in question wants to put the effort in, even after a reformat sometimes. It's very easy on a FAT32 filesystem as is used by camera / MP3 player / Android (etc) memory cards, less so probably on an iPhone, never tried it myself but I suspect still possible.

To overcome this, applications which will "scrub" deleted data can be used; there might even be one built in or bundled. These will overwrite the actual content in the filesystem a few times, and defeat attempts to recover it.

Googled this one http://www.safewiper...ata-eraser.html

Never touch Apple stuff myself so no idea if it works well, but in principle it's the sort of thing you need if paranoid (most people won't try to recover deleted files or information from a reformatted filesystem, but it's possible).

Technically possible to hook up an ipod/phone as a USB device on windows, thus it becomes a drive. Then possible to run something like Recuva on it.

Just sayin'.

Googled this one http://www.safewiper...ata-eraser.html

Technically possible to hook up an ipod/phone as a USB device on windows, thus it becomes a drive. Then possible to run something like Recuva on it.

Just sayin'.

Last question. What if I erase all content and settings and then FILL the phone with content, podcasts, music, whatever, and then erase all content and settings AGAIN. Would THAT make the personal info that had been on there unrecoverable?

If you fill it completely, you will overwrite the actual data and it will be very hard to recover any of it. It's not absolutely impossible on a traditional hard drive, but it takes careful work in a laboratory. For flash memory I'm not sure, might be impossible. Either way it would take an expensive, time-consuming and determined forensic effort at a minimum. Edited by Slim
  • Like 1

If you fill it completely, you will overwrite the actual data and it will be very hard to recover any of it. It's not absolutely impossible on a traditional hard drive, but it takes careful work in a laboratory. For flash memory I'm not sure, might be impossible. Either way it would take an expensive, time-consuming and determined forensic effort at a minimum.

Thanks for your help Slim.

There's an option to reset the phone back to factory specs in the settings. Doesn't that wipe out everything?

As far as I know it does. I've done this a few times and everything was gone.

Literally a factory reset - it's like you've just bought a new phone.