If they actually replace Neil on Drums, shouldn't they replace Geddy on vocals?

Maverick

He can sing fine. He can't hit the super high notes at all, but very few guys can at that age if any. This DVD that just came out is not as good as the two nights I went. He did far less yodeling in NJ and NYC. And for all these people just hoping they replace Neil--he wrote every lyric since FBN. You think they're gonna just grab any hired gun to play and keep playing all those songs that were written by him? That would be pretty damn shameless unless Neil is OK with it. Not saying he wouldn't be, but to assume they can just swap out drummers "just like that" is kinda thoughtless. Remember Spinal Tap after Nigel Tuffnel quits--"yeah that's a cozy 15 minutes of material....Derek Smalls on bass!!.....He wrote this!"

Agreed. Just let him play bass and have some fun and hire Wakeman to play the keys and lets jazz this thing up a bit. Record some new bad@ss well produced cool jazz fusion fun music and tour like a motherf**cker. Call it whatever you want but it will not be Rush but I would be excited to Turn the Page and push hard for about 5 years of fun and great music. As I have said I have no patience for sentimentality any longer... :sigh: :codger: :haz: It's showtime!!!
  • Like 1

He can sing fine. He can't hit the super high notes at all, but very few guys can at that age if any. This DVD that just came out is not as good as the two nights I went. He did far less yodeling in NJ and NYC. And for all these people just hoping they replace Neil--he wrote every lyric since FBN. You think they're gonna just grab any hired gun to play and keep playing all those songs that were written by him? That would be pretty damn shameless unless Neil is OK with it. Not saying he wouldn't be, but to assume they can just swap out drummers "just like that" is kinda thoughtless. Remember Spinal Tap after Nigel Tuffnel quits--"yeah that's a cozy 15 minutes of material....Derek Smalls on bass!!.....He wrote this!"

What if Neil wrote and recorded with them, but they got a different drummer to tour?

Nowhere to go with this thread since Lee himself stated "There's no replacing anybody in this band. It's just not possible. I don't want to play in Rush without those two other guys."

If we're talking about a NEW band with 1 or 2 members of Rush then that's a different topic.

• Like 5

If we're talking about a NEW band with 1 or 2 members of Rush then that's a different topic.

This is what I am talking about. Wouldn't bother or offended me in the least. Wouldn't tarnish their 40 + year legacy either in my view. All of that is cast in stone as far as I am concerned...

Well? Shouldn't they? The guy can't sing anymore. Just let him play bass and keyboards.

They also might need to hire someone to play Alex's leads.

What if Neil wrote and recorded with them, but they got a different drummer to tour?

I liked your first idea better. ;)

Well? Shouldn't they? The guy can't sing anymore. Just let him play bass and keyboards.

Geddy plays the keys? I thought he just pushed or stomped on buttons that made keyboard sounds. Now if you`re talking adding a dedicated button stomper then I`m cool with that.

lol where did we get the idiotic idea they would replace neil on drums? has 30 years of consistent "I don't want to play if it isn't with those other two guys" comments from each member not sunk in?

Folks change their minds all of the time about any number of things based on any number of things and new information. Even legends that many hold up as near to perfect and above typical human frailties that befall the rest of us... :)

lol where did we get the idiotic idea they would replace neil on drums? has 30 years of consistent "I don't want to play if it isn't with those other two guys" comments from each member not sunk in?

Folks change their minds all of the time about any number of things based on any number of things and new information. Even legends that many hold up as near to perfect and above typical human frailties that befall the rest of us... :)

never mind that mumbo jumbo, it aint happening.
  • Like 1

Rush are the exception to the rule. Again and again. There's a greater chance of Rush adding a member than replacing a member. And my current data shows that the chances of them adding a member are .003%.

Haha I dunno, I feel like even entertaining the idea of it shows a fundamental misunderstanding of who these guys are, and what has kept them going all these years.

Geddy released a solo album in their hiatus. If things were to continue without Neil, it may be as something, but it wouldn't be as Rush, and it wouldn't be playing Rush songs.

• Like 1

Haha I dunno, I feel like even entertaining the idea of it shows a fundamental misunderstanding of who these guys are, and what has kept them going all these years.

Geddy released a solo album in their hiatus. If things were to continue without Neil, it may be as something, but it wouldn't be as Rush, and it wouldn't be playing Rush songs.

Yes I guess you are right. The 40 years or so I have been following them and listening I have mostly just listened to the music. I guess I am tending to look at them a bit to much like human beings who can see the handwriting on the wall of their own mortality that could lead them to do something that might even surprise the most rabid super fan... ;) :codger:

Yes I guess you are right. The 40 years or so I have been following them and listening I have mostly just listened to the music. I guess I am tending to look at them a bit to much like human beings who can see the handwriting on the wall of their own mortality that could lead them to do something that might even surprise royally piss off even the most rabid super fan... ;) :codger:

Fixed it for you ;)

• Like 1

Yes I guess you are right. The 40 years or so I have been following them and listening I have mostly just listened to the music. I guess I am tending to look at them a bit to much like human beings who can see the handwriting on the wall of their own mortality that could lead them to do something that might even surprise royally piss off even the most rabid super fan... ;) :codger:

Fixed it for you ;)

Hey works for me. I love the band but "new" music done right is a beautiful thing and if it pisses some off so be it... :cool:
  • Like 1