Cooking a Turkey

snowdogged

Best way to cook a turkey:

http://www.thegreenhead.com/imgs/bayouclassic-turkey-fryer-2.jpg

one year a long time ago I was preparing the biggest Thanksgiving meal ever. I did 3 turkeys, traditional roasted, smoked & deep fried. The deep fried was a carcus while the other two had plenty left on them. It is really better for deep frying if you do like a coop thing where you can share the cost of the peanut oil (which ain't cheep)and cook several turkeys with it. The set up for just doing one is very uneconomical. Oh and the smoked turkey made the best sandwiches!!

Edited by Crimsonmistymemory

We're having chicken. The Mad Norwegian doesn't like turkey.

Oh, I wish!! I love chicken. Instead, I'm having to make two turkeys! :P

The next time you make chicken, stick a half a raw onion in the cavity (if you don't already do it). Believe it or not, the onion gives the chicken a good flavor and the meat is real juicy.

How big are your turkeys? You must have a huge oven! :)

• Like 1

We're having chicken. The Mad Norwegian doesn't like turkey.

Oh, I wish!! I love chicken. Instead, I'm having to make two turkeys! :P

The next time you make chicken, stick a half a raw onion in the cavity (if you don't already do it). Believe it or not, the onion gives the chicken a good flavor and the meat is real juicy.

How big are your turkeys? You must have a huge oven! :)

Ha ha, no, regular size. My husband was always complaining we didn't have enough turkey and bringing home these 26 pound turkeys that are so hard to lift and you have to get up at dawn to cook. I kept seeing people on cooking shows doing 2 13 lb. turkeys and so we will try that this year. I have 2 pans that fit in the oven and (here's the good part) instructions FROM THE INTERNET !! So you know it has to be good, right? Although one person says just cook one Wednesday and one Thursday. I might do that. Everyone but my dad just wants it for hot sandwiches with gravy anyway! :)

• Like 2

I remember without fail every single Thanksgiving my mother and her sister (who lived downstairs from us) going through the same routine - up before dawn to put a huge turkey in the oven and then agonizing over it when it wasn't done when they had hoped it would be done.

Hope it all works out well for you!

• Like 2

I remember without fail every single Thanksgiving my mother and her sister (who lived downstairs from us) going through the same routine - up before dawn to put a huge turkey in the oven and then agonizing over it when it wasn't done when they had hoped it would be done.

Hope it all works out well for you!

Thanks! It's something different, anyway! The rest will be pretty traditional, just lots of it! :D

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 2

Best way to cook a turkey:

http://www.thegreenhead.com/imgs/bayouclassic-turkey-fryer-2.jpg

I used to do that, until I tried cooking one on my Weber gas grill with the rotisserie. It self basting, and makes a moist bird! :chickendance:

http://img.youtube.com/vi/vbundJcUCxk/0.jpg

• Like 3