r40 worst live version to point of embarrssing..

148 replies to this topic

#81 krlowe

krlowe

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 913 posts
  • Interests:Professional Musician, Music Educator

Posted 30 November 2015 - 09:07 PM

Having just watched the show, I certainly think it's a step above CA tour vocally. I certainly enjoyed listening to How It Is except when Ged decides to break into singing a vocal note (that sharp, breaking sound)

Sponsored Post

#82 TheAccountant

TheAccountant

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1273 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 08:43 PM

View PostGeddy, on 22 November 2015 - 02:58 PM, said:

How It Is isn't my favorite performance on the DVD, but it had some much needed life that's missing on the studio version

Totally agree.  

I have made my dislike of the original VT well known and made it equally clear that I think the re-mix is much better but still nothing special.  So when I saw this song on the set list I was like "ugh - o brother.  Guess I will just put up with this and then enjoy the better songs to come".  Boy was I surprised!!!! It turned out to be a real joy to listen to (at least for me).

Not that its going to change my feelings on the studio versions of VT.  Not at all.  But now I very much enjoy (and to some extent look forward to) this song on the R40 DVD & CD.  Glad the guys decided to play it on the R40 tour.

#83 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42114 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 06:22 PM

View Postkrlowe, on 30 November 2015 - 09:07 PM, said:

Having just watched the show, I certainly think it's a step above CA tour vocally. I certainly enjoyed listening to How It Is except when Ged decides to break into singing a vocal note (that sharp, breaking sound)

I'm listening right now to CA Live and I thought how well he sounded on that tour, and how much his voice deteriorated between the CA tour and R40.

Edited by Lorraine, 23 January 2016 - 06:24 PM.

#84 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21764 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 23 January 2016 - 07:18 PM

View PostLorraine, on 23 January 2016 - 06:22 PM, said:

View Postkrlowe, on 30 November 2015 - 09:07 PM, said:

I'm listening right now to CA Live and I thought how well he sounded on that tour, and how much his voice deteriorated between the CA tour and R40.

Even more so between Snakes and Arrows and Time Machine.

#85 WorkingAllTheTime

WorkingAllTheTime

Rushaholic

• Members *
  • 2018 posts
  • Interests:Writing code for the priests of Syrinx.

Posted 23 January 2016 - 08:32 PM

:facepalm:

That's my overall reaction to this thread.

My take:  Leave the R40 set lists (all of them) alone.  They were, in fact, perfect.  Was there a song X, Y, or Z fan could have done without?  Yes, of course.  Over the course of 40+ years the band has built a variety of fans with a variety of preferences.  But there were also plenty of songs that made X, Y, or Z fan grin ear-to-ear.  For my money, the band did a remarkable job of A) touching on the vast canon of their career, and B) putting a little something in there for everyone... including themselves.  That's hard to do.  They could have mailed it in as a "best of" setlist.  They could have played Dreamline... again.  They could have done a lot, lot worse.

Sure, Ged sounded great on some songs and terrible on others.  I saw some back-to-back shows where he was inconsistent on the same songs.  But that's life and touring and a life of touring for 4 decades.  Indeed, it was painful at moments, but  I am just thankful they gave us one more spin.

#86 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21764 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 23 January 2016 - 09:24 PM

View PostWorkingAllTheTime, on 23 January 2016 - 08:32 PM, said:

My take:  Leave the R40 set lists (all of them) alone.  They were, in fact, perfect.  Was there a song X, Y, or Z fan could have done without?  Yes, of course.  Over the course of 40+ years the band has built a variety of fans with a variety of preferences.  But there were also plenty of songs that made X, Y, or Z fan grin ear-to-ear.  For my money, the band did a remarkable job of A) touching on the vast canon of their career, and B) putting a little something in there for everyone... including themselves.  That's hard to do.  They could have mailed it in as a "best of" setlist.  They could have played Dreamline... again.  They could have done a lot, lot worse.

Sure, Ged sounded great on some songs and terrible on others.  I saw some back-to-back shows where he was inconsistent on the same songs.  But that's life and touring and a life of touring for 4 decades.  Indeed, it was painful at moments, but  I am just thankful they gave us one more spin.

Quit complaining about people actually having an opinion rather than just blind and deaf gushing over every release.

#87 jamie

jamie

The Biggest Thing Since Powdered TOST

• Members
  • 12162 posts
  • Interests:cats, dogs, sleeping, steve harris, bass players with long brown hair

Posted 25 January 2016 - 01:59 AM

Oh no! God forbid his voice ages along with him!

#88 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42114 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 12:06 PM

View PostEagleMoon, on 23 January 2016 - 09:24 PM, said:

Quit complaining about people actually having an opinion rather than just blind and deaf gushing over every release.

Thank you, Eagle.  I had a post in response, but I decided:  why bother?  

You said it nicer than I would have anyway.

#89 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21764 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 05:18 PM

View PostLorraine, on 25 January 2016 - 12:06 PM, said:

View PostEagleMoon, on 23 January 2016 - 09:24 PM, said:

Thank you, Eagle.  I had a post in response, but I decided:  why bother?  

You said it nicer than I would have anyway.

I just get tired of people getting criticized for having a brain in their heads and actually using it.

Dumbing down of the world.

Edited by EagleMoon, 25 January 2016 - 05:19 PM.

#90 John V

John V

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 518 posts
  • Interests:Music. Culinary Arts. Marijuana Advocate. Miami Dolphins Football. Beer.

Posted 26 January 2016 - 01:05 PM

IMO, the DVD was great.  Then Spotify started playing R-40 and the vocals were not very good.
But when I saw them live, I thought the vocals were very good.

I'm not sure if it was getting caught up in the moment or what.
But the DVD was/is fine for me.  The CD's, not so much.

#91 troutman

troutman

My views are fishy

• Members *
  • 44549 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 10:28 AM

View PostSticklight, on 22 November 2015 - 02:05 PM, said:

Really? What did you expect? He's old and his vocal chords are tired. It's stupid to critisize him under these circumstances and compare him to other singers, while his singing is not in top shape, not because of poor technique, but because of his age.

Many of the fans here are dissapointed in Geddy's vocals because of ridiciously high expectations, which is interesting because we all KNOW what Geddy's singing condition these days is. Which is surprisingly new to some people..

I did not expect too much of him, therefore I really enjoyed watching both Toronto shows on the tour.

Yeah,

It's amazing how people rag on him at this point of his life. I can live with his voice no problem. Plus he is still the best kicka** Bass player!! :geddy: :geddy: :geddy:

BTW, Don Henley is an idiot. :yes:

#92 grep

grep

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 872 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 10:49 AM

At 48 years old, my voice is tired after running a meeting and talking for 2 hours. I can't even imagine how Geddy carries on singing the way he does, night after night. But the guy does it.

I don't care how he sounds,he's there playing (well...was there) playing all those songs I love. It's all good.

#93 Disk98

Disk98

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3908 posts
  • Interests:New York Yankees
     electronics
    bass guitar
    piano

Posted 28 January 2016 - 02:38 PM

I'm going to put it out there and say that R40 Live is their best since Rio.  So what Geddy can't sing quite as well as he could 13+ years ago?  Give the man a break.  He's 62 and he plays bass at the same time.

Edited by Disk98, 28 January 2016 - 02:38 PM.

#94 JBsDWdrums

JBsDWdrums

The Seeker

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • Interests:Drumming in all styles...music...biking...art...cooking...sci fi...good horror movies....Rush

Posted 28 January 2016 - 10:21 PM

And for me a fan since 1980...who has seen every tour live since Signals...some multiple times....I have to say R40 live is my favorite live DVD....it hit me after watching it a few times....anyone can argue over vocals or setlist shit...overall its an amazing DVD....it captures the excitement and senimentality ....the sound quality is great...the playing is f***ing great ( I've heard the old boots from the 70s etc....they made just as many mistakes then....sorry but they did....or changed stuff if you prefer)...playing at this level this good from the original members is pretty goddamn unheard of.....and if you can't appreciate the setlist in full and what they did with this show then you are kinda missing out I think....

#95 Amps211

Amps211

The Seeker

• Members
  • 204 posts
  • Interests:Rock and folk music and family and beer

Posted 29 January 2016 - 07:26 AM

Ged was fine on it IMO ... The song is just blah though

#96 tomhealey

tomhealey

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 599 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 01:25 PM

Most of the other live Rush DVDs I've watched once and put on the shelf.  I've seen R40 front to back three times, and thinking about a fourth this weekend.  I think it's my favorite of the authorized releases.

#97 rocket ignites

rocket ignites

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 5536 posts
  • Interests:Poker. Minnesota Vikings/Twins/T-Wolves. Being a glass half-full advocate for post 1982 Rush.

Posted 30 January 2016 - 06:20 PM

I've enjoyed watching R40 multiple times so far.  Unfortunately, I just haven't got around to listening to the CDs other than disc 3 for the extra goodies.

#98 JBsDWdrums

JBsDWdrums

The Seeker

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • Interests:Drumming in all styles...music...biking...art...cooking...sci fi...good horror movies....Rush

Posted 04 February 2016 - 09:35 PM

I've been listening to the CDs and they are great as well....Botrill really got it right...power and clarity....which in turn makes you appreciate the actual playing....I knew he was the right guy after working with crimson etc....

#99 Geddy Jazz

Geddy Jazz

The Seeker

• Members
  • 208 posts
  • Interests:Rush

Posted 05 February 2016 - 07:33 AM

View Posttroutman, on 28 January 2016 - 10:28 AM, said:

Really? What did you expect? He's old and his vocal chords are tired. It's stupid to critisize him under these circumstances and compare him to other singers, while his singing is not in top shape, not because of poor technique, but because of his age.

Many of the fans here are dissapointed in Geddy's vocals because of ridiciously high expectations, which is interesting because we all KNOW what Geddy's singing condition these days is. Which is surprisingly new to some people..

I did not expect too much of him, therefore I really enjoyed watching both Toronto shows on the tour.

Yeah,

It's amazing how people rag on him at this point of his life. I can live with his voice no problem. Plus he is still the best kicka** Bass player!! :geddy: :geddy: :geddy:

I simply  can not agree more..... :dweez:

#100 troutman

troutman

My views are fishy

• Members *
  • 44549 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 08:33 AM

View PostGeddy Jazz, on 05 February 2016 - 07:33 AM, said:

View Posttroutman, on 28 January 2016 - 10:28 AM, said:

Yeah,

I simply  can not agree more..... :dweez:

Bartender,

A drink for the man. :digi: :cool:

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users