r40 worst live version to point of embarrssing..

148 replies to this topic

#41 LedRush

LedRush

The Counterparts Remain The Same

• Members *
  • 24833 posts
  • Interests:Family, guitar, classic video games, Ted Nugent, non-fiction books

Posted 23 November 2015 - 12:34 AM

View Postnicky6, on 22 November 2015 - 01:24 PM, said:

has to be "how it is" not a bad song. but geddy ruins it.. horrible singing... hope you people don't think hes a better singer than don Henley or anyone else in that  range..

I found going to iTunes and seeing how the songs were selling was interesting.  Some songs weren't available, like 2112 and The Camera Eye.  Why It Is isn't the least popular, but it's close, hanging around with Between the Wheels, YYZ, and Animate.  But even if they're not my favorite songs, I'll almost always take a new or rare song over a standard.

Sponsored Post

#42 bordercollie

bordercollie

Prime Mover

• Members *
  • 651 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 12:56 AM

View PostTodem, on 22 November 2015 - 09:35 PM, said:

View Postbordercollie, on 22 November 2015 - 08:35 PM, said:

View Postnicky6, on 22 November 2015 - 08:29 PM, said:

Wouldn't it be cool if with the technogly today and HD blu-rays pro shots. if we had shows full from 1978-1982, that would be so killer....
So we could gripe about all the bum notes Geddy sang back in that era as well?

Right? He has never been a great singer live..come on now we all know that. And I have heard him horrific back in the 80's. Once he started using in-ear monitors I heard a noticeable improvement in his vocals. Their stage sound before the advent of those awesome devices was so freaking loud....a huge challenge to sing with the sheer power and force of their stage sound back in the day. Plus they were on the road 300 days a year to boot.

You'd think Geddy was auditioning for American Idol, not kicking ass in a rock band, with the way people are overly critical about him!

#43 bathory

bathory

Book Würm

• Members *
  • 9561 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 02:18 AM

View PostLedRush, on 23 November 2015 - 12:04 AM, said:

View PostEagleMoon, on 22 November 2015 - 05:29 PM, said:

View Postrugen, on 22 November 2015 - 04:17 PM, said:

It's a bad song, so don't much care how it came out on the dvd, the first set is pretty disappointing for me

I kind of agree.  It was a waste of time in the concert. They could've played something like Turn The Page or Cut To The Chase instead which would've really perked up the first set.

As a rule, everything you say is wrong or overly negative.  This post is a prime example of both.

I lol'd but I actually agreed with eagle in this instance because I love turn the page. admittedly I have no clue what cut to the chase sounds like

#44 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21764 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 23 November 2015 - 03:22 AM

View PostUnion 5-3992, on 22 November 2015 - 08:34 PM, said:

View Postbathory, on 22 November 2015 - 08:32 PM, said:

how it is was included entirely for the band (or at least neil and geddy, since alex seems to be the one who likes the 70s shit the most)...there was zero energy during that one at the atlanta show. I heard live crickets hopping around on the lawn. sales of beer reached an all-time high, and so many people went to go piss at once that the amphitheatre's plumbing system was destroyed
There was a polite golf clap for it at the Buffalo show

People were looking at each other and saying "is this something new?"

#45 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21764 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 23 November 2015 - 03:29 AM

View PostLedRush, on 23 November 2015 - 12:04 AM, said:

View PostEagleMoon, on 22 November 2015 - 05:29 PM, said:

View Postrugen, on 22 November 2015 - 04:17 PM, said:

It's a bad song, so don't much care how it came out on the dvd, the first set is pretty disappointing for me

I kind of agree.  It was a waste of time in the concert. They could've played something like Turn The Page or Cut To The Chase instead which would've really perked up the first set.

As a rule, everything you say is wrong or overly negative.  This post is a prime example of both.

Was that comment aimed at me or rugen?

#46 Narps

Narps

Official TRF Pace Car Driver

• Members
  • 27720 posts
  • Interests:Exercise, my children, my new grandchildren(twin boys), the rest of my life...

Posted 23 November 2015 - 10:14 AM

:popcorn: ...

#47 Xanadu

Xanadu

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1703 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 10:18 AM

The song is not one of my favorites either but I accept the fact that at a Rush concert (or any band's concert for that matter), I am not likely to love 100% of the setlist. Rush is the one band though, where I would be willing to sit through an entire setlist of my least favorite songs by them (if I had to) just to see them live. Now that's saying something. :P :D

#48 TexMike

TexMike

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1292 posts
  • Interests:Music, photography, travel

Posted 23 November 2015 - 11:36 AM

I admit I was a little bored when they played HII at the R40 show I attended, but I think the version on the blu-ray is actually pretty good and I find the song is growing on me.  Some really lovely bass lines by Geddy in there and the overall melody is good.  I'm glad they put it into the main show over OLV, which we already have more than enough live versions of.

And I'm just not hearing vocals on that one that are bordering on "embarrassing".  Geddy's singing is what it is.  He's 62 and has to sing two dozen songs every night while also playing bass lines that are beyond most people who ever pick up the instrument.  Sometimes I think this place needs a Geddy Sucks sub-forum for the posters who seemingly contribute nothing BUT complaints about him.  If you prefer Don Henley, *go freakin' listen to Don Henley*.

#49 canadianice

canadianice

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2959 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 11:41 AM

View PostTexMike, on 23 November 2015 - 11:36 AM, said:

I admit I was a little bored when they played HII at the R40 show I attended, but I think the version on the blu-ray is actually pretty good and I find the song is growing on me.  Some really lovely bass lines by Geddy in there and the overall melody is good.  I'm glad they put it into the main show over OLV, which we already have more than enough live versions of.

And I'm just not hearing vocals on that one that are bordering on "embarrassing".  Geddy's singing is what it is.  He's 62 and has to sing two dozen songs every night while also playing bass lines that are beyond most people who ever pick up the instrument.  Sometimes I think this place needs a Geddy Sucks sub-forum for the posters who seemingly contribute nothing BUT complaints about him.  If you prefer Don Henley, *go freakin' listen to Don Henley*.
  Right on, they complain, but in reality they love him, f the nay sayers Ged--------keep on rockin.

#50 DirtyMidnighter

DirtyMidnighter

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 85 posts
  • Interests:Artist

Posted 23 November 2015 - 12:26 PM

Wow, you guys. Why all the hate for How It Is? Along with Losing It, this song is the absolute highlight of the album and setlist for me. They didn't play it at either show I went to so hearing it for the first time in the car yesterday literally moved me to tears. I've always loved that song and going back for it was 100 percent a good call. It seems like the Vapor Trails hate will never end on this forum but I can tell you, as someone who came into Rush circa 2000, Vapor Trails is one of the best Rush albums period.

As for Geddy's voice, it sound as good here as it does on the entire album. It's fine but not what it used to be. Is that surprising to anyone?

#51 andrew28

andrew28

The Seeker

• Members
  • 284 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 12:30 PM

I'm not sure why they didn't just either pick songs that are easier for Geddy to sing; or tweak the vocal melody so that he can sing it (take it down a step or alter it).

I've heard bootlegs from the tour and in many instances, Geddy nails it, but on the DVD there are a lot of moments that are borderline cringe-worthy.

The band sounds SOOO good on every song, it's kind of a bummer to hear Geddy struggle with the vocals. I would actually be okay with them pulling an Ozzy, and having Geddy go into the studio to sweeten the vocals a bit.

#52 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21764 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 12:34 PM

View Postandrew28, on 23 November 2015 - 12:30 PM, said:

I'm not sure why they didn't just either pick songs that are easier for Geddy to sing; or tweak the vocal melody so that he can sing it (take it down a step or alter it).

I've heard bootlegs from the tour and in many instances, Geddy nails it, but on the DVD there are a lot of moments that are borderline cringe-worthy.

The band sounds SOOO good on every song, it's kind of a bummer to hear Geddy struggle with the vocals. I would actually be okay with them pulling an Ozzy, and having Geddy go into the studio to sweeten the vocals a bit.

They could have pulled the vocals back a bit in the mix. Not much else they could do unless they try to mask it.

#53 Pound of Obscure

Pound of Obscure

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1577 posts
  • Interests:Drums, basketball, P90X/Insanity

Posted 23 November 2015 - 12:44 PM

"

View PostFountainOfSyrinx, on 22 November 2015 - 03:39 PM, said:

In other news, at a rate similar to the decline of Geddy's voice, the city of Venice is sinking and will one day drown completely.
"Ah, Venice"-- Indiana Jones

#54 andrew28

andrew28

The Seeker

• Members
  • 284 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 12:50 PM

View PostEagleMoon, on 23 November 2015 - 12:34 PM, said:

They could have pulled the vocals back a bit in the mix. Not much else they could do unless they try to mask it.

That's what I meant. I know they want to deliver an "authentic" experience; but it just sounds bad in spots (the same is true of the Clockwork Angels DVD). What would the harm be in making it sound better. I get the whole integrity thingg, but this is same band that list Alex as "backing vocals" even though it's obvious, he's not the voice you hear.

#55 puffyshirt

puffyshirt

The Seeker

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 01:16 PM

I'd point to Between the Wheels and Red barchetta as the stinkers on the album. Lakeside Park is probably technically the worst one, but that falls straight into "what did you really expect" territory. It's just incredible that we even got to hear that song.

#56 Xanadu

Xanadu

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1703 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 01:49 PM

It could be too that Toronto wasn't his best performance but they were determined to go with their hometown show for the DVD so that's what we got. I can't say that with any certainty (because I really don't know if that's the case), just food for thought.

#57 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42114 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 01:49 PM

View PostSticklight, on 22 November 2015 - 02:05 PM, said:

Really? What did you expect? He's old and his vocal chords are tired. It's stupid to critisize him under these circumstances and compare him to other singers, while his singing is not in top shape, not because of poor technique, but because of his age.

Many of the fans here are dissapointed in Geddy's vocals because of ridiciously high expectations, which is interesting because we all KNOW what Geddy's singing condition these days is. Which is surprisingly new to some people..

I did not expect too much of him, therefore I really enjoyed watching both Toronto shows on the tour.

My husband, who is no Rush fan nor is he a Geddy fan, said the same thing to me yesterday - more or less.

"The man is getting old and he's toured his voice out - what do you expect?"

Edited to add that the above sentence is what my husband said to me.  I put quotation marks around it.  :)

Edited by Lorraine, 23 November 2015 - 01:52 PM.

#58 Jomboni

Jomboni

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 01:58 PM

I honestly thought How It Is is one of the best songs on this vocal wise.  And I like the song live a lot better than I thought I would.  It wasn't my first choice for a deep cut from Vapor Trails but it's very energetic!

#59 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21764 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 03:01 PM

View PostLorraine, on 23 November 2015 - 01:49 PM, said:

View PostSticklight, on 22 November 2015 - 02:05 PM, said:

Really? What did you expect? He's old and his vocal chords are tired. It's stupid to critisize him under these circumstances and compare him to other singers, while his singing is not in top shape, not because of poor technique, but because of his age.

Many of the fans here are dissapointed in Geddy's vocals because of ridiciously high expectations, which is interesting because we all KNOW what Geddy's singing condition these days is. Which is surprisingly new to some people..

I did not expect too much of him, therefore I really enjoyed watching both Toronto shows on the tour.

My husband, who is no Rush fan nor is he a Geddy fan, said the same thing to me yesterday - more or less.

"The man is getting old and he's toured his voice out - what do you expect?"

Edited to add that the above sentence is what my husband said to me.  I put quotation marks around it.  :)

If you disregard the vocals somewhat this DVD is very nice. Even though for the most part he doesn't sound bad. Some songs are better than others.  This release has a lot of energy which is awesome.

#60 canadianice

canadianice

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2959 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 03:04 PM

View PostDirtyMidnighter, on 23 November 2015 - 12:26 PM, said:

Wow, you guys. Why all the hate for How It Is? Along with Losing It, this song is the absolute highlight of the album and setlist for me. They didn't play it at either show I went to so hearing it for the first time in the car yesterday literally moved me to tears. I've always loved that song and going back for it was 100 percent a good call. It seems like the Vapor Trails hate will never end on this forum but I can tell you, as someone who came into Rush circa 2000, Vapor Trails is one of the best Rush albums period.

As for Geddy's voice, it sound as good here as it does on the entire album. It's fine but not what it used to be. Is that surprising to anyone?
because the born moaners on here, will never be satisfied, they love to knit pick-----go listen to Blue Moanin by bto.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users