r40 worst live version to point of embarrssing..

148 replies to this topic

#121 daveyt

daveyt

Non Sequitur

• Members *
  • 8219 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 09:48 PM

has anyone listened to the 2112 bonus live track from Massey Hall, yet? It must be amazing :geddy: :Neil: :Alex: <---2112 overature

Sponsored Post

#122 daveyt

daveyt

Non Sequitur

• Members *
  • 8219 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 01:14 AM

I'm starting to wonder if this track is offered or if I read some wrong information

#123 Thunder Bay Rush

Thunder Bay Rush

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1196 posts
  • Interests:Rush, Rush, Rush, drums, living off-grid, fishing, hunting, cooking, gardening, raising and growing my own food! Farting in crowded elevators... silent or otherwise.

Posted 31 December 2016 - 06:41 AM

Back to the original question... Lakeside Park was a bit of a "holy fu**!  Should have dropped that one down a semi tone or so... or, not played it.

#124 Mithrandir

Mithrandir

Superconductor

• Members *
  • 1183 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 09:50 AM

laughedatbytime, on 22 November 2015 - 05:54 PM, said:

EagleMoon, on 22 November 2015 - 05:49 PM, said:

laughedatbytime, on 22 November 2015 - 05:37 PM, said:

EagleMoon, on 22 November 2015 - 05:29 PM, said:

rugen, on 22 November 2015 - 04:17 PM, said:

It's a bad song, so don't much care how it came out on the dvd, the first set is pretty disappointing for me

I kind of agree.  It was a waste of time in the concert. They could've played something like Turn The Page or Cut To The Chase instead which would've really perked up the first set.
Sure, they COULD have played Cut to the Chase, but really, who's bladder is THAT week?

Not sure I know what you mean?
CTTC is the very definition of a bathroom break song, but would be too early in the concert to be useful.
Haha.  CTTC is an awesome song.  Great lyrics, great riff, fantastic guitar solo.  In my top 15 Rush songs.

#125 Mithrandir

Mithrandir

Superconductor

• Members *
  • 1183 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 09:53 AM

I love How it is. Excellent lyrics.

#126 tony990

tony990

The Seeker

• Members
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:Baseball, soccer/football, and music (Rush and Dream Theater are my favorites)

Posted 31 December 2016 - 09:05 PM

Hemispheres, I would have to say. Not a bad song, but they sort of just sounded like they were getting tired at that point.

#127 Airship2112

Airship2112

The Seeker

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 12:26 AM

Rush should have played Freeze instead of How it is for the Vapor Trails section

#128 Pressure/Hopenosis

Pressure/Hopenosis

The Seeker

• Members *
  • 231 posts
  • Interests:Family, music, sports, outdoors, photography and lots of other cool stuff I forgot to mention...

Posted 01 January 2017 - 12:53 AM

This is not "nit" picking.  Geddy's voice is God awful on R40.  As some have stated, he should've went into the studio and fixed it like Ozzy did on "Tribute".  Such a damn same that they released this as I couldn't make it all the way through.  it's just fact.  It was time to hang it up.

Thank You very much!!!  Goodnight!!!

#129 grasbo

grasbo

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 784 posts
  • Interests:Music,playing guitar,collecting models,recording,football,cricket,op shopping,chilli,garlic,anchovies,wasabi,mustard,oysters,mussells,beer,war gaming,model railroading,positive people,goldfish

Posted 01 January 2017 - 03:29 PM

If Cut To The Chase had been played i would have wonded how Alex was going to pull that guitar solo off more than worrying about Ged's vocals
Just as an aside i did a soo three hour gig just a day ago and my voice completly went half hour in.So.lots of instrumentals and various gizmos to help me out.So i feel for Ged.
I didn't see this mentioned but the 'backing vocals'are most likely a voice harmonizer effect which once activated puts different frequencies and intervals to the original.Its all over modern music these days.Thank god we have people like Pink(not really a fan)and Adele(fan)who refuse/don't use effects live because they want to keep it real and are blessed(in the case of Adele)with a great voice.Ged could have cheated us with a pitch correcter or overdubbed in the studio but he kept it real .I felt How It Is did fall a wee flat but i am happy to have it.

#130 grasbo

grasbo

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 784 posts
  • Interests:Music,playing guitar,collecting models,recording,football,cricket,op shopping,chilli,garlic,anchovies,wasabi,mustard,oysters,mussells,beer,war gaming,model railroading,positive people,goldfish

Posted 01 January 2017 - 03:30 PM

If Cut To The Chase had been played i would have wondered how Alex was going to pull that guitar solo off more than worrying about Ged's vocals
Just as an aside i did a solo three hour gig just a day ago and my voice completly went half hour in.So.lots of instrumentals and various gizmos to help me out.So i feel for Ged.
I didn't see this mentioned but the 'backing vocals'are most likely a voice harmonizer effect which once activated puts different frequencies and intervals to the original.Its all over modern music these days.Thank god we have people like Pink(not really a fan)and Adele(fan)who refuse/don't use effects live because they want to keep it real and are blessed(in the case of Adele)with a great voice.Ged could have cheated us with a pitch correcter or overdubbed in the studio but he kept it real .I felt How It Is did fall a wee flat but i am happy to have it.

Edited by grasbo, 01 January 2017 - 03:30 PM.

#131 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 3537 posts
  • Interests:QueenRushMuseYeah! Oh and MtG.

Posted 06 January 2017 - 12:11 AM

Closer To The Heart is one of my all time favorites, and the only one I think Ged really can't do justice anymore, unless he decides to sing it completely different.  Good thing the instruments were record perfect and pretty much everyone sings along to that one.  Too bad they really couldn't get away with not playing it, would've been very disappointed if they hadn't on R40, considering that will likely go down in history as the one time my dad and I saw Rush live. Concessions must be made I suppose, voices grow old, but songs like that are timeless.

#132 Khan

Khan

In a GIFfy

• Members *
  • 15447 posts
  • Location:Actual location changes many times per hour normally.
  • Interests:Milsurp rifles

Posted 01 March 2017 - 03:08 PM

It's painful for me to listen to any live recording after S&A.  His voice just sounds like crap live to me.

#133 Steve Smith

Steve Smith

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1683 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 09:01 PM

Our voices get deeper as we get older

Geddy cant scream no more but his voice is better

#134 Steve Smith

Steve Smith

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1683 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 09:03 PM

Entre_Perpetuo, on 06 January 2017 - 12:11 AM, said:

Closer To The Heart is one of my all time favorites, and the only one I think Ged really can't do justice anymore, unless he decides to sing it completely different.  Good thing the instruments were record perfect and pretty much everyone sings along to that one.  Too bad they really couldn't get away with not playing it, would've been very disappointed if they hadn't on R40, considering that will likely go down in history as the one time my dad and I saw Rush live. Concessions must be made I suppose, voices grow old, but songs like that are timeless.

they can either tune down a step or Geddy can sing it differently

It is a physical fact that our voices get deeper as we grow older. Geddy's voice has so much more tone and depth now even though he cant sing as high as he did in his 20's

#135 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21751 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 01 March 2017 - 11:04 PM

Steve Smith, on 01 March 2017 - 09:03 PM, said:

It is a physical fact that our voices get deeper as we grow older. Geddy's voice has so much more tone and depth now even though he cant sing as high as he did in his 20's

He can definitely yodel really well.

#136 KenJennings

KenJennings

Mr. Establishment

• Members *
  • 19646 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 08:40 AM

I don't know why Geddy's voice sounds so bad on the DVD. When I saw them live in St Paul (albeit only the 3rd or 4th show of the tour) he sounded relatively sharp.

Edited by KenJennings, 07 March 2017 - 08:41 AM.

#137 Rushspirit2112

Rushspirit2112

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 09:36 AM

He sounded great in Denver

#138 tony990

tony990

The Seeker

• Members
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:Baseball, soccer/football, and music (Rush and Dream Theater are my favorites)

Posted 10 March 2017 - 05:21 PM

Scars

#139 furie

furie

Solar Federalist

• Members *
  • 2304 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 06:30 PM

r40 is the worst of the live releases.

I'm partial to different stages.

#140 Crimsonmistymemory

Crimsonmistymemory

Testing the Fences

• Members *
  • 17138 posts
  • Interests:Just an interested cat,
    Living in a,
    Dog eat Dog World

Posted 13 March 2017 - 07:20 PM

EagleMoon, on 01 March 2017 - 11:04 PM, said:

Steve Smith, on 01 March 2017 - 09:03 PM, said:

He can definitely yodel really well.
Call me a late but call me cheap. I bought the R40 CD set used at a local record store. There have been more than one time that your quote was the 1st thought on me brain. Some parts even a bit painful to listen. The musicianship is impeccable but I have to admit if I was going to turn someone one to :rush: (which I still do all the time) this collection would not hit their ears lol. Don't get me wrong I truly respect that they are willing to throw what they are and what that have become out there. With that said if they ever did another show I would I would go without a doubt. Long live :rush:

:Alex: :Neil: :geddy:

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users