r40 worst live version to point of embarrssing..

148 replies to this topic

#1 nicky6

nicky6

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 682 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 01:24 PM

has to be "how it is" not a bad song. but geddy ruins it.. horrible singing... hope you people don't think hes a better singer than don Henley or anyone else in that  range..

Sponsored Post

#2 DistantEarlySignals

DistantEarlySignals

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1244 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 01:44 PM

How It Is is one of the top 5 performances on the album IMO

#3 Narps

Narps

Official TRF Pace Car Driver

• Members
  • 27718 posts
  • Interests:Exercise, my children, my new grandchildren(twin boys), the rest of my life...

Posted 22 November 2015 - 01:47 PM

View Postnicky6, on 22 November 2015 - 01:24 PM, said:

has to be "how it is" not a bad song. but geddy ruins it.. horrible singing... hope you people don't think hes a better singer than don Henley or anyone else in that  range..
I don't even think its a good song so it couldn't be ruined much worse for me anyway... :eh:

#4 Digital Dad

Digital Dad

The Dad Abides

• Members
  • 10259 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 01:59 PM

I think I need to pass a nickname onto you from another poster. I am now going to call you Shirley.

Shirley you can't be serious.

#5 Sticklight

Sticklight

The Seeker

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 02:05 PM

Really? What did you expect? He's old and his vocal chords are tired. It's stupid to critisize him under these circumstances and compare him to other singers, while his singing is not in top shape, not because of poor technique, but because of his age.

Many of the fans here are dissapointed in Geddy's vocals because of ridiciously high expectations, which is interesting because we all KNOW what Geddy's singing condition these days is. Which is surprisingly new to some people..

I did not expect too much of him, therefore I really enjoyed watching both Toronto shows on the tour.

Edited by Sticklight, 22 November 2015 - 02:08 PM.

#6 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

The Sphere

• Members
  • 9811 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 02:37 PM

Obviously, the OP hasn't heard how Geddy's voice is on The Camera Eye. Much worse than How It Is.

#7 mrf33n3y

mrf33n3y

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 02:55 PM

View PostDistantEarlySignals, on 22 November 2015 - 01:44 PM, said:

How It Is is one of the top 5 performances on the album IMO
I agree, it's one of my favorites on this release, and it was one of my favorites every time I saw them do it this Summer.

#8 Geddy's Soul Patch

Geddy's Soul Patch

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3835 posts
  • Interests:Music, Literature, Film, Star Trek, Time Travel, Going way, way, way back in time, Hobbiton, Making the joke seriously, Machines Can Love, Harvesting the Lumnian Fields

Posted 22 November 2015 - 02:58 PM

How It Is isn't my favorite performance on the DVD, but it had some much needed life that's missing on the studio version

#9 Your_Lion

Your_Lion

Professor Gumby

• Members
  • 63028 posts
  • Interests:All I ever really wanted to do was play the guitar 'n bend the string like "Reent-toont-teent-toont-teenooneenoonee"

Posted 22 November 2015 - 03:19 PM

I'll have to stop coming into these threads until I've actually had chance to watch the DVD :| :sigh:

#10 FountainOfSyrinx

FountainOfSyrinx

Solar Federalist

• Members *
  • 2152 posts
  • Interests:Univ. of Nebraska, Rush, the Dave Matthews Band, the Seattle Mariners, the Dallas Mavericks, and baseball in general.

Posted 22 November 2015 - 03:39 PM

In other news, at a rate similar to the decline of Geddy's voice, the city of Venice is sinking and will one day drown completely.

#11 grep

grep

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 872 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 03:49 PM

It was amazing live.  I never liked the song on record - but at the show in Newark I was quite impressed.  I like it a bit less on R40L, but it's still better, IMO than the studio version.

#12 rugen

rugen

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1184 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 04:17 PM

It's a bad song, so don't much care how it came out on the dvd, the first set is pretty disappointing for me

#13 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21751 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 22 November 2015 - 05:29 PM

View Postrugen, on 22 November 2015 - 04:17 PM, said:

It's a bad song, so don't much care how it came out on the dvd, the first set is pretty disappointing for me

I kind of agree.  It was a waste of time in the concert. They could've played something like Turn The Page or Cut To The Chase instead which would've really perked up the first set.

#14 Todem

Todem

Brosaucerous

• Members
  • 2219 posts
  • Interests:Playing guitar, writing,recording and performing music, coaching and playing baseball, golf, tennis, stocks, playing video games, spending as much time as I can with my wife and son.

Posted 22 November 2015 - 05:29 PM

I don't disagree with the OP about the performance on the official R40 release.

Clearly for me the absolute lowlight of the entire set. And it is not even close. Falls completely flat on it's face.....automatic skip now for me.

#15 Tombstone Mountain

Tombstone Mountain

The Grinder of all Yukonian Blades

• Members *
  • 14365 posts
  • Interests:Picking it up. Laying it down.
    Staying on the inside track.
    Sniffin' out the truth!

Posted 22 November 2015 - 05:33 PM

View PostEagleMoon, on 22 November 2015 - 05:29 PM, said:

I kind of agree.  It was a waste of time in the concert. They could've played something like Turn The Page or Cut To The Chase instead which would've really perked up the first set.
Energywise the first set torched set 2 on all 3 occasions I saw them. It was weird

#16 laughedatbytime

laughedatbytime

Twin City Cub Fan

• Members *
  • 69582 posts
  • Interests:women's Uggs, trying to compensate for my small hands, buying gifts for the equipment staff, smashing certain cell phones, that dreamy Judge Berman

Posted 22 November 2015 - 05:37 PM

Sure, they COULD have played Cut to the Chase, but really, who's bladder is THAT week?

#17 nicky6

nicky6

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 682 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 05:38 PM

wow, cool, iam not the only one.. geddy could have dropped that idea. it sounded bad.. really. plus the song they chose over so many better ones.I would have even took driven over that....

#18 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21751 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 22 November 2015 - 05:49 PM

View Postlaughedatbytime, on 22 November 2015 - 05:37 PM, said:

Sure, they COULD have played Cut to the Chase, but really, who's bladder is THAT week?

Not sure I know what you mean?

#19 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21751 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 05:49 PM

View PostTombstone Mountain, on 22 November 2015 - 05:33 PM, said:

Energywise the first set torched set 2 on all 3 occasions I saw them. It was weird

You're right. Set one did go up in flames and burnt to a crisp.

#20 laughedatbytime

laughedatbytime

Twin City Cub Fan

• Members *
  • 69582 posts
  • Interests:women's Uggs, trying to compensate for my small hands, buying gifts for the equipment staff, smashing certain cell phones, that dreamy Judge Berman

Posted 22 November 2015 - 05:54 PM

View PostEagleMoon, on 22 November 2015 - 05:49 PM, said:

View Postlaughedatbytime, on 22 November 2015 - 05:37 PM, said:

Not sure I know what you mean?
CTTC is the very definition of a bathroom break song, but would be too early in the concert to be useful.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users