Happy Birthday Presto

Crimsonmistymemory

I really enjoy Presto. Lyrically, it is full of great imagery. While the music is generally light, it is still skillfully executed and interesting. Neil's drumming especially. And it marked a departure from the keyboard-dominated sound. That alone puts it in a special place among their catalog for me.

I never really use the word "special" when it comes to Presto; I prefer "sonically challenged".

"Prestarded". Yes, I went there.
  • Like 2

I will give presto a spin this week in honor of this

Make sure you make it to Available Light one of my favorite songs off the album and of course if you made it to that song you made it through the whole album ;)

I always make it to available light!

• Like 2

So 26 years ago tonight, I sat in my Ford Probe (with the killer stereo) and put the CD in two minutes after I bought it, listened to the first three seconds (the soft electronic drums) thinking that I didn't have my volume turned up, hit review...then cranked the volume, and almost went DEAF when the first notes came on!

Then by the time I got to my friends house, thoroughly HATED the album!

So 26 years ago tonight, I sat in my Ford Probe (with the killer stereo) and put the CD in two minutes after I bought it, listened to the first three seconds (the soft electronic drums) thinking that I didn't have my volume turned up, hit review...then cranked the volume, and almost went DEAF when the first notes came on!

I have to admit at the 1st few spins off all the albums from Power Windows forward I always had a "where the hell are they going with this" disposition. But they always grew on me and I have come to love them all. So are you saying you have the same feelings about Presto 26 years later?

• Like 1

I had no idea it was being released, and turned on the car radio to catch Show Don't Tell mid-sing. Turned to my wife and said "Sounds like some RUSH rip-off." The J comes on after and says it's new RUSH. I laugh.

The Presto tour was my first RUSH show, plus, songs like The Pass touched my life like prior RUSH songs never had before (I had a student take his own life that year). Presto is an album I really love, even after all these years.

I have to admit at the 1st few spins off all the albums from Power Windows forward I always had a "where the hell are they going with this" disposition. But they always grew on me and I have come to love them all. So are you saying you have the same feelings about Presto 26 years later?

Pretty much for me every album post p/g was an instant love (fanboi excited!), followed by a quick retreat to "meh", then a grower to acceptance. Except Presto and Vapor Trails.. Those were sustained love.

not one of my favorites or one I pull out often but it's got some great material. I have the usual complaint that everyone else has that it lacks balls. and not in the way the prior albums lacked balls - the production matches the material, but presto has some songs that should sound a lot heavier than they ended up sounding
  • Like 1

Still not a fan!

Of HyF. Presto, and RtB; the only songs I really like are: Turn the Page and Dreamline (one of my favorite latter day tunes) Presto really never got my interest in any way, shape or form! I usually give the studio albums an annual listen (chronologically) and that's about the only time I get through those.

Presto was a sleeper for me!

• Like 1

Was working at Coconuts Record and Tapes when it was released. Played it every time it was my shift. Was given the evil eye every time I popped in the cassette LOL. "Oh great he is working tonight so we get to hear Presto at least 2 times".

I like Presto. It has some great tunes. Not even sniffing my top 10 Rush albums...but some really great moments.

Show Don't Tell

Chain Lighting

The Pass

Presto

Red Tide

Available Light

All tunes I can always enjoy anytime and my go to tracks on the album.

Edited by Todem

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/5467f652e4b04d1cd29aab89/t/54837385e4b04d71ee59c946/1417900934148/sundog.jpg

"Sundogs fire, on the horizon..."

:wub: :heart: :wub: Chain Lightning

My favourite Rush song!

My days, I just LOVE Presto!!

how many times do you hear it?

it goes on all day long

everyone knows everything

and no one's ever wrong

until later

who can you believe?

it's hard to play it safe

but apart from a few good friends

we don't take anything on faith

until later

Show Don't Tell

SHOW ME DON'T TELL ME

You've figured out the score

SHOW ME DON'T TELL ME

I've heard it all before

SHOW ME DON'T TELL ME

I don't care what you say

SHOW ME DON'T TELL ME

you can twist perceptions

reality won't budge

you can raise objections

I will be the judge

and the jury

I'll give it due reflection

watching from the fence

give the jury direction

based on the evidence

I, the jury

SHOW ME DON'T TELL ME

Hey - order in the court

SHOW ME DON'T TELL ME

Let's try to keep it short

SHOW ME DON'T TELL ME

Enough of your demands

SHOW ME DON'T TELL ME

Witness take the stand

SHOW ME DON'T TELL ME

• Like 1

not one of my favorites or one I pull out often but it's got some great material. I have the usual complaint that everyone else has that it lacks balls. and not in the way the prior albums lacked balls - the production matches the material, but presto has some songs that should sound a lot heavier than they ended up sounding

Like which ones? Remember, their last studio album before that was Hold Your Fire so it's not like they'd been doing heavy tunes in the few years prior

Should have been strangled at birth.

HAHAHA!

Funny shit man.

I think "Presto" is a great fukking record. All the way through.

I saw that tour 4 times. Mr. Big opened. I wanted to put Paul Gilbert's drill into my head. I hate Eric Martin.

Those fukking dancing bunnies drove me nuts too.

Hated it.

The album?

Perfect.

Tony R. "Hand Over Fist" please.

• Like 1

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/5467f652e4b04d1cd29aab89/t/54837385e4b04d71ee59c946/1417900934148/sundog.jpg

"Sundogs fire, on the horizon..."

Goose, that's an absolutely beautiful picture. I could look at a scene like that for hours. :wub:

That is amazing. I love that pic too.

"Chain Lightning" is one of the greatest Rush songs on the earth.

Neil wrote that song for his daughter as they would always go out on the lake together in their boat and look for sundog firing on the horizon.

Rush Haters and Rush Fake Fans who love to write shite with their assholes are comic banter.

I read that the guitar solo on "Chain Lightning" was recorded and they thrown into the mix backwards.

I think it's true.

Hey, I am a real fan and a real man because I can openly write on here how much I hate "Vapor Trails."

It's nice that no one on here gives a shit.

That's cool.

So let's see the haters come after me for thinking that in my one mind out of billions, yes, "PRESTO" IS A MAGICAL TEN!

• Like 2

The drumming on "Scars" and "War Paint" is absolutely so much fun to play along with.

Now I don't have any electronic equipment, but I have enough buzzers and bells on my drum kit to make it work!

It's so funny how many of you hate "Hold Your Fire."

No offense but I suppose those of you who hate HYF are not musicians.

Anyone of you posers want to go with me and debate RUSH, I am ready.

Rush is dead for now but they will always be the greatest band on the planet.

Go listen to Dream Theater or Steven Wilson and leave my fuckking band alone.

• Like 1