Happy Birthday Presto

Crimsonmistymemory

Presto was released on this day in 1989.

Happy 26th Birthday Presto

rabbit-cake.jpg

That's like wishing Hitler a "Happy Birthday".

No, I'm just kidding. I like Presto alright, but not that much. Although, I was disappointed in it when it was first released because I was hoping that Rush would start going back to a more classic sound instead of the direction they did go.

Edited by snowdogged

I got my copy on November 20th, a Monday, in 1989.

I got my 1st copy along with A Show Of Hands for my birthday February 06 1990. I'll never forget it because the total for the 2 albums (on vinyl) with tax was $2112! Me and the clerk had a good laugh. I think I still have the receipt somewhere.

• Like 2

One of the most un-Rush like Rush Albums! Like Kansas' Drastic Measures, I adore it even though in many ways it is completely NOT the style that attracted me to the band in the first place!

Haters can hate. It is a bit of an oddity, but it matches others aspects of my music taste.

RTB does as well, I don't like it half as much, so go figure!

• Like 3

I dropped a deuce about 24 hours ago. Is that similar enough?

"Dropped a deuce." :LOL: My go to euphemism is "Birthing a Cubs fan." Edited by goose

"Dropped a deuce." :LOL: My go to euphemism is "Birthing a Cubs fan."

I prefer "developed a recent A's team"

How about "Sent one to the minors"? :D
  • Like 1

"Dropped a deuce." :LOL: My go to euphemism is "Birthing a Cubs fan."

I prefer "developed a recent A's team"

How about "Sent one to the minors"? :D

:laughing guy:

• Like 1

Presto came out when I was at my peak of Rush fanaticism. Pretty much listened to Rush 90 pct of the time I was listening to music. Im sure I got the CD and tape on the day it came out. The CD for home listening and the tape to listen to in the car.

But it's probably my least favorite Rush album. Probably haven't heard it in 10 years all the way through.

I really enjoy Presto. Lyrically, it is full of great imagery. While the music is generally light, it is still skillfully executed and interesting. Neil's drumming especially. And it marked a departure from the keyboard-dominated sound. That alone puts it in a special place among their catalog for me.
  • Like 3

I really enjoy Presto. Lyrically, it is full of great imagery. While the music is generally light, it is still skillfully executed and interesting. Neil's drumming especially. And it marked a departure from the keyboard-dominated sound. That alone puts it in a special place among their catalog for me.

End of the glory period for me. First studio album released as I became a fan. Parts of it don't hold up today and the recording is very much of its time. It has a bit of darkness to it about as much as you need from a Rush record.

Edit. That's not to say I don't like what they did after but this is the end of the vital creative period for me. Cap and after it was really more about this is Rush and this is what we do. At least for me. Rush can never be replaced. That brings everything up to the present day. The last 3 albums for me stand up against their best work.

Edited by Digital Dad
  • Like 1

I never really use the word "special" when it comes to Presto; I prefer "sonically challenged".