Jump to content


Neil's Replacement


  • Please log in to reply
274 replies to this topic

#41 CountFloyd84

CountFloyd84

    Restless Young Rushmantic

  • Members
  • 59 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Reading, U.K.
  • Interests:Weight lifting, music, videogames

Posted 22 November 2015 - 08:52 AM

Having not seen the Rush 40 Tour since i'm in the U.K., I would welcome the idea of being able to see 2/3 of the group if it means touring without Neil. Obviously, I'd rather have Neil there, it goes without saying, but it's very very unlikely to happen at this point. However, from the various interviews Geddy and Alex have done recently, it's blatantly obvious they wanted to extend the R40 tour to the U.K. and Europe, and are probably slightly frustrated that Neil put the kibosh on that desire. They also made it clear that they are keen to get back into writing again.

If it means seeing Geddy and Alex with another drummer then I'd absolutely take it; it's the only option I have right now for seeing Rush (or as near to Rush as one can get at this point) ever again. Would they consider it? I have no idea.

Sponsored Post

#42 canadianice

canadianice

    Solar Federalist

  • Members
  • 2959 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Stoney Creek, Ontario

Posted 22 November 2015 - 11:54 AM

Phil Collins is coming out of retirement-------just sayin

#43 Pressure/Hopenosis

Pressure/Hopenosis

    The Seeker

  • Members *
  • 232 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Southeastern Michigan
  • Interests:Family, music, sports, outdoors, photography and lots of other cool stuff I forgot to mention...

Posted 22 November 2015 - 11:59 AM

Alex and Ged can carry on with a new band.  Let's face it, the lyrics/vocals have been awkward and mis timed/crammed for the last three albums so they won't miss Neil as a lyricist.  As for Neil's drumming?  Well, he's been shortcutting that as well so I don't see any harm in exploring other creative options...

#44 theredtamasrule

theredtamasrule

    The Elitist Booby Type

  • Members
  • 8902 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Central KY

Posted 22 November 2015 - 12:16 PM

View PostMieko8, on 22 November 2015 - 03:14 AM, said:

I could sense this watching Geddy and Alex talk about it.  They are not done.  They want to move forward.  They have more music within them to share.

In that rolling stone interview it's clear that Ged & Al want to, and are going to, write new material in some way shape or form...either as solo material or some type of band formation. And their frustration, or resignation, that Neil is done at least with touring, is palpable.

This is heresy to be sure (and I think Peart would appreciate that): there are plenty of capable drummers out there that could create new and interesting music with Ged & Al. Would it be Rush? No.

Neil wrote on Hemispheres (I'm paraphrasing) that we can journey on a path together as long as our goals are the same. Perhaps their goals are no longer the same. Nothing lasts forever and none of them are getting younger. Best to move forward and make hay while you can.

Either way I'll listen to whatever they put out. But it's obvious to me that there is serious internal conflict about their musical futures as a trio.

#45 theredtamasrule

theredtamasrule

    The Elitist Booby Type

  • Members
  • 8902 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Central KY

Posted 22 November 2015 - 12:19 PM

View PostPressure/Hopenosis, on 22 November 2015 - 11:59 AM, said:

As for Neil's drumming?  Well, he's been shortcutting that as well...

Settle down, that's a bit much.

#46 snowdogged

snowdogged

    Ultimate Time-Killing Sig

  • Members *
  • 4741 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Montreal
  • Interests:Yo momma

Posted 22 November 2015 - 12:21 PM

View PostMieko8, on 21 November 2015 - 10:02 PM, said:

It could never be Rush without Ged or Al, but I do believe they could still be Rush with another drummer.  They did it once already, they could do it again.  How many people have gone in and out of the Stones, and the Who?  Page and Plant have worked together without Bonham.  Geddy and Al should move on with someone else if they still want to play IMHO.
Heck, I haven't considered it Rush since Rutsey left the band.

#47 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

    Beauty and the Bass

  • Members
  • 21753 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Phoenix, Arizona
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 22 November 2015 - 12:22 PM

View Posttheredtamasrule, on 22 November 2015 - 12:19 PM, said:

View PostPressure/Hopenosis, on 22 November 2015 - 11:59 AM, said:

As for Neil's drumming?  Well, he's been shortcutting that as well...

Settle down, that's a bit much.

Exactly. That's taking the nitpicking to an extreme.

#48 Union 5-3992

Union 5-3992

    A Pale Boy with only Half a Brain

  • Members *
  • 21057 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The rich and sunny planet Ursa Minor Beta (or Buffalo NY)

Posted 22 November 2015 - 01:08 PM

View PostMieko8, on 22 November 2015 - 03:14 AM, said:

As I suspected, I am not in the minority.
I'm not entirely sure about that...

#49 ReGorLaTroy

ReGorLaTroy

    Modern Day Alice Cooper

  • Members *
  • 12494 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North of Dragontown

Posted 22 November 2015 - 01:29 PM

View Postthirteen, on 22 November 2015 - 05:03 AM, said:

Quote

No.  Don't forget that they need a lyricist as well.  Unless you want geddy to return to writing lyrics telling women what time it is and that he fancies some sex.
I assume Geddy wrote the lyrics for his My favourite headache album and they are not too bad.
Better than the lyrics Neil shoe horned into Geddys mouth on Clockwork Angels.
The other option would be for Alex, Geddy and Neil to record studio album(s) and have another drummer tour it.

#50 Mieko8

Mieko8

    Restless Young Rushmantic

  • Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 01:37 PM

View PostReGorLaTroy, on 22 November 2015 - 01:29 PM, said:

View Postthirteen, on 22 November 2015 - 05:03 AM, said:

Quote

No.  Don't forget that they need a lyricist as well.  Unless you want geddy to return to writing lyrics telling women what time it is and that he fancies some sex.
I assume Geddy wrote the lyrics for his My favourite headache album and they are not too bad.
Better than the lyrics Neil shoe horned into Geddys mouth on Clockwork Angels.
The other option would be for Alex, Geddy and Neil to record studio album(s) and have another drummer tour it.

Yeah, I could totally see that.  Win, win for all.

#51 Phantom

Phantom

    Prime Mover

  • Members *
  • 997 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 22 November 2015 - 01:43 PM

View PostMieko8, on 21 November 2015 - 10:37 PM, said:

Believe me. I see both sides and can justify both.  Back to my main point, it sucks that they want to continue but instead, they're stuck in purgatory.  Neil may not owe the fans anything, but you'd think he'd care enough about those 2 guys to do it one more time....for them.


View PostBowlCity, on 21 November 2015 - 10:34 PM, said:

View PostMieko8, on 21 November 2015 - 10:30 PM, said:

Weren't they called Rush long before they ever met Neil? ������������



View PostBowlCity, on 21 November 2015 - 10:21 PM, said:

View PostNarps, on 21 November 2015 - 10:19 PM, said:

I would go see them play with another drummer and I wouldn't care what they called themselves. Rush, Rash, R 40 something. I wouldn't care. To old for sentimentality at this point and I don't begrudge Neil his retirement either. He has earned it and then some. I just want to be entertained or not PERIOD. Just make a decision at some point and get on with it "While we're young" (Rodney D). Just my take and probably not a popular one either... :codger:

Oh, I wouldn't have a problem with Geddy and Alex doing something together, including live performances. I'd take offense to them calling it Rush, but any musical output from these boys (as long as it isn't like Presto) I'll happily give a shot, especially if it's done live.

As if that period has nearly as much significance as FBN-present, or even the debut with Rutsey. I'd consider that an extremely dumb excuse to continue as "Rush" without Neil.
From what I've read, Neil was done after Clockwork Angels. I think he was asked by the guys to " do it more time...for them".  He did care enough about them to do it again. I respect that. He has to be wondering....At what point is enough, enough? I think the physical demands are greater on Neil than on the other guys, and that has to be taken into account. I've also read lots of posts and comments online that Neil appeared to be struggling to catch his breath on many nights. I say the man deserves my thanks for making my life so much better, and that he's earned his wish to retire.

#52 Mieko8

Mieko8

    Restless Young Rushmantic

  • Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 01:47 PM

I respect your post and can't say I disagree.  Is Neil still a smoker?  Anyone know?  With all that we know, I have a feeling there will be one more tour.  Possibly shorter in length.



View PostPhantom, on 22 November 2015 - 01:43 PM, said:

View PostMieko8, on 21 November 2015 - 10:37 PM, said:

Believe me. I see both sides and can justify both.  Back to my main point, it sucks that they want to continue but instead, they're stuck in purgatory.  Neil may not owe the fans anything, but you'd think he'd care enough about those 2 guys to do it one more time....for them.


View PostBowlCity, on 21 November 2015 - 10:34 PM, said:

View PostMieko8, on 21 November 2015 - 10:30 PM, said:

Weren't they called Rush long before they ever met Neil? ������������



View PostBowlCity, on 21 November 2015 - 10:21 PM, said:

View PostNarps, on 21 November 2015 - 10:19 PM, said:

I would go see them play with another drummer and I wouldn't care what they called themselves. Rush, Rash, R 40 something. I wouldn't care. To old for sentimentality at this point and I don't begrudge Neil his retirement either. He has earned it and then some. I just want to be entertained or not PERIOD. Just make a decision at some point and get on with it "While we're young" (Rodney D). Just my take and probably not a popular one either... :codger:

Oh, I wouldn't have a problem with Geddy and Alex doing something together, including live performances. I'd take offense to them calling it Rush, but any musical output from these boys (as long as it isn't like Presto) I'll happily give a shot, especially if it's done live.

As if that period has nearly as much significance as FBN-present, or even the debut with Rutsey. I'd consider that an extremely dumb excuse to continue as "Rush" without Neil.
From what I've read, Neil was done after Clockwork Angels. I think he was asked by the guys to " do it more time...for them".  He did care enough about them to do it again. I respect that. He has to be wondering....At what point is enough, enough? I think the physical demands are greater on Neil than on the other guys, and that has to be taken into account. I've also read lots of posts and comments online that Neil appeared to be struggling to catch his breath on many nights. I say the man deserves my thanks for making my life so much better, and that he's earned his wish to retire.


#53 Geddy's Soul Patch

Geddy's Soul Patch

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 3835 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Seattle
  • Interests:Music, Literature, Film, Star Trek, Time Travel, Going way, way, way back in time, Hobbiton, Making the joke seriously, Machines Can Love, Harvesting the Lumnian Fields

Posted 22 November 2015 - 02:26 PM

View Posttheredtamasrule, on 22 November 2015 - 12:19 PM, said:

View PostPressure/Hopenosis, on 22 November 2015 - 11:59 AM, said:

As for Neil's drumming?  Well, he's been shortcutting that as well...

Settle down, that's a bit much.
It's a fair observation. Neil has been neutering his drum parts for years. It is consistently disappointing to me

#54 Digital Dad

Digital Dad

    The Dad Abides

  • Members
  • 10259 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 22 November 2015 - 02:53 PM

You guys bitch too much.

#55 Ancient Ways

Ancient Ways

    That's It™ Sig

  • Members
  • 15992 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:iEarth
  • Interests:Hanging out with my kids, riding my bike, playing guitar.

Posted 22 November 2015 - 03:36 PM

View PostReGorLaTroy, on 22 November 2015 - 01:29 PM, said:

View Postthirteen, on 22 November 2015 - 05:03 AM, said:

Quote

No.  Don't forget that they need a lyricist as well.  Unless you want geddy to return to writing lyrics telling women what time it is and that he fancies some sex.
I assume Geddy wrote the lyrics for his My favourite headache album and they are not too bad.
Better than the lyrics Neil shoe horned into Geddys mouth on Clockwork Angels.
The other option would be for Alex, Geddy and Neil to record studio album(s) and have another drummer tour it.
Can't imagine Neil liking that either.  At this point I think the trio is done.  Neil has to be concerned about anything the other 2 want to do at the point and "mission creep."

#56 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

    Beauty and the Bass

  • Members
  • 21753 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Phoenix, Arizona
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 22 November 2015 - 05:31 PM

View PostPhantom, on 22 November 2015 - 01:43 PM, said:

View PostMieko8, on 21 November 2015 - 10:37 PM, said:

Believe me. I see both sides and can justify both.  Back to my main point, it sucks that they want to continue but instead, they're stuck in purgatory.  Neil may not owe the fans anything, but you'd think he'd care enough about those 2 guys to do it one more time....for them.


View PostBowlCity, on 21 November 2015 - 10:34 PM, said:

View PostMieko8, on 21 November 2015 - 10:30 PM, said:

Weren't they called Rush long before they ever met Neil? ������������



View PostBowlCity, on 21 November 2015 - 10:21 PM, said:

View PostNarps, on 21 November 2015 - 10:19 PM, said:

I would go see them play with another drummer and I wouldn't care what they called themselves. Rush, Rash, R 40 something. I wouldn't care. To old for sentimentality at this point and I don't begrudge Neil his retirement either. He has earned it and then some. I just want to be entertained or not PERIOD. Just make a decision at some point and get on with it "While we're young" (Rodney D). Just my take and probably not a popular one either... :codger:

Oh, I wouldn't have a problem with Geddy and Alex doing something together, including live performances. I'd take offense to them calling it Rush, but any musical output from these boys (as long as it isn't like Presto) I'll happily give a shot, especially if it's done live.

As if that period has nearly as much significance as FBN-present, or even the debut with Rutsey. I'd consider that an extremely dumb excuse to continue as "Rush" without Neil.
From what I've read, Neil was done after Clockwork Angels. I think he was asked by the guys to " do it more time...for them".  He did care enough about them to do it again. I respect that. He has to be wondering....At what point is enough, enough? I think the physical demands are greater on Neil than on the other guys, and that has to be taken into account. I've also read lots of posts and comments online that Neil appeared to be struggling to catch his breath on many nights. I say the man deserves my thanks for making my life so much better, and that he's earned his wish to retire.

It's like they said in that recent interview about his hands after the shows during this tour being covered with all the calluses and sores. That's got to be painful as heck.

#57 theredtamasrule

theredtamasrule

    The Elitist Booby Type

  • Members
  • 8902 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Central KY

Posted 22 November 2015 - 05:45 PM

View PostGeddy, on 22 November 2015 - 02:26 PM, said:

View Posttheredtamasrule, on 22 November 2015 - 12:19 PM, said:

View PostPressure/Hopenosis, on 22 November 2015 - 11:59 AM, said:

As for Neil's drumming?  Well, he's been shortcutting that as well...

Settle down, that's a bit much.
It's a fair observation. Neil has been neutering his drum parts for years. It is consistently disappointing to me
Perhaps a better way to say it would be, "Cornelius' playing has seemed less interesting TO ME over the past few years". To me, his playing as recently as Clockwork Angels has been vibrant and exciting...and why it would be more of a shame if Rush doesn't make new music together.

#58 Ancient Ways

Ancient Ways

    That's It™ Sig

  • Members
  • 15992 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:iEarth
  • Interests:Hanging out with my kids, riding my bike, playing guitar.

Posted 22 November 2015 - 05:52 PM

View PostEagleMoon, on 22 November 2015 - 05:31 PM, said:

View PostPhantom, on 22 November 2015 - 01:43 PM, said:

View PostMieko8, on 21 November 2015 - 10:37 PM, said:

Believe me. I see both sides and can justify both.  Back to my main point, it sucks that they want to continue but instead, they're stuck in purgatory.  Neil may not owe the fans anything, but you'd think he'd care enough about those 2 guys to do it one more time....for them.


View PostBowlCity, on 21 November 2015 - 10:34 PM, said:

View PostMieko8, on 21 November 2015 - 10:30 PM, said:

Weren't they called Rush long before they ever met Neil? ������������



View PostBowlCity, on 21 November 2015 - 10:21 PM, said:

View PostNarps, on 21 November 2015 - 10:19 PM, said:

I would go see them play with another drummer and I wouldn't care what they called themselves. Rush, Rash, R 40 something. I wouldn't care. To old for sentimentality at this point and I don't begrudge Neil his retirement either. He has earned it and then some. I just want to be entertained or not PERIOD. Just make a decision at some point and get on with it "While we're young" (Rodney D). Just my take and probably not a popular one either... :codger:

Oh, I wouldn't have a problem with Geddy and Alex doing something together, including live performances. I'd take offense to them calling it Rush, but any musical output from these boys (as long as it isn't like Presto) I'll happily give a shot, especially if it's done live.

As if that period has nearly as much significance as FBN-present, or even the debut with Rutsey. I'd consider that an extremely dumb excuse to continue as "Rush" without Neil.
From what I've read, Neil was done after Clockwork Angels. I think he was asked by the guys to " do it more time...for them".  He did care enough about them to do it again. I respect that. He has to be wondering....At what point is enough, enough? I think the physical demands are greater on Neil than on the other guys, and that has to be taken into account. I've also read lots of posts and comments online that Neil appeared to be struggling to catch his breath on many nights. I say the man deserves my thanks for making my life so much better, and that he's earned his wish to retire.

It's like they said in that recent interview about his hands after the shows during this tour being covered with all the calluses and sores. That's got to be painful as heck.
Getting winded I understand.  Back or neck pain I understand.  I don't understand why callouses or sores on hands would be any worse this tour than any other since they started an evening with rush.

#59 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

    Beauty and the Bass

  • Members
  • 21753 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Phoenix, Arizona
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 22 November 2015 - 05:53 PM

View PostAncient Ways, on 22 November 2015 - 05:52 PM, said:

View PostEagleMoon, on 22 November 2015 - 05:31 PM, said:

View PostPhantom, on 22 November 2015 - 01:43 PM, said:

View PostMieko8, on 21 November 2015 - 10:37 PM, said:

Believe me. I see both sides and can justify both.  Back to my main point, it sucks that they want to continue but instead, they're stuck in purgatory.  Neil may not owe the fans anything, but you'd think he'd care enough about those 2 guys to do it one more time....for them.


View PostBowlCity, on 21 November 2015 - 10:34 PM, said:

View PostMieko8, on 21 November 2015 - 10:30 PM, said:

Weren't they called Rush long before they ever met Neil? ������������



View PostBowlCity, on 21 November 2015 - 10:21 PM, said:

View PostNarps, on 21 November 2015 - 10:19 PM, said:

I would go see them play with another drummer and I wouldn't care what they called themselves. Rush, Rash, R 40 something. I wouldn't care. To old for sentimentality at this point and I don't begrudge Neil his retirement either. He has earned it and then some. I just want to be entertained or not PERIOD. Just make a decision at some point and get on with it "While we're young" (Rodney D). Just my take and probably not a popular one either... :codger:

Oh, I wouldn't have a problem with Geddy and Alex doing something together, including live performances. I'd take offense to them calling it Rush, but any musical output from these boys (as long as it isn't like Presto) I'll happily give a shot, especially if it's done live.

As if that period has nearly as much significance as FBN-present, or even the debut with Rutsey. I'd consider that an extremely dumb excuse to continue as "Rush" without Neil.
From what I've read, Neil was done after Clockwork Angels. I think he was asked by the guys to " do it more time...for them".  He did care enough about them to do it again. I respect that. He has to be wondering....At what point is enough, enough? I think the physical demands are greater on Neil than on the other guys, and that has to be taken into account. I've also read lots of posts and comments online that Neil appeared to be struggling to catch his breath on many nights. I say the man deserves my thanks for making my life so much better, and that he's earned his wish to retire.

It's like they said in that recent interview about his hands after the shows during this tour being covered with all the calluses and sores. That's got to be painful as heck.
Getting winded I understand.  Back or neck pain I understand.  I don't understand why callouses or sores on hands would be any worse this tour than any other since they started an evening with rush.

I think their point was that it's a lot harder on him physically than it is on them during a show.

#60 Ancient Ways

Ancient Ways

    That's It™ Sig

  • Members
  • 15992 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:iEarth
  • Interests:Hanging out with my kids, riding my bike, playing guitar.

Posted 22 November 2015 - 05:55 PM

View PostEagleMoon, on 22 November 2015 - 05:53 PM, said:

View PostAncient Ways, on 22 November 2015 - 05:52 PM, said:

View PostEagleMoon, on 22 November 2015 - 05:31 PM, said:

View PostPhantom, on 22 November 2015 - 01:43 PM, said:

View PostMieko8, on 21 November 2015 - 10:37 PM, said:

Believe me. I see both sides and can justify both.  Back to my main point, it sucks that they want to continue but instead, they're stuck in purgatory.  Neil may not owe the fans anything, but you'd think he'd care enough about those 2 guys to do it one more time....for them.


View PostBowlCity, on 21 November 2015 - 10:34 PM, said:

View PostMieko8, on 21 November 2015 - 10:30 PM, said:

Weren't they called Rush long before they ever met Neil? ������������



View PostBowlCity, on 21 November 2015 - 10:21 PM, said:

View PostNarps, on 21 November 2015 - 10:19 PM, said:

I would go see them play with another drummer and I wouldn't care what they called themselves. Rush, Rash, R 40 something. I wouldn't care. To old for sentimentality at this point and I don't begrudge Neil his retirement either. He has earned it and then some. I just want to be entertained or not PERIOD. Just make a decision at some point and get on with it "While we're young" (Rodney D). Just my take and probably not a popular one either... :codger:

Oh, I wouldn't have a problem with Geddy and Alex doing something together, including live performances. I'd take offense to them calling it Rush, but any musical output from these boys (as long as it isn't like Presto) I'll happily give a shot, especially if it's done live.

As if that period has nearly as much significance as FBN-present, or even the debut with Rutsey. I'd consider that an extremely dumb excuse to continue as "Rush" without Neil.
From what I've read, Neil was done after Clockwork Angels. I think he was asked by the guys to " do it more time...for them".  He did care enough about them to do it again. I respect that. He has to be wondering....At what point is enough, enough? I think the physical demands are greater on Neil than on the other guys, and that has to be taken into account. I've also read lots of posts and comments online that Neil appeared to be struggling to catch his breath on many nights. I say the man deserves my thanks for making my life so much better, and that he's earned his wish to retire.

It's like they said in that recent interview about his hands after the shows during this tour being covered with all the calluses and sores. That's got to be painful as heck.
Getting winded I understand.  Back or neck pain I understand.  I don't understand why callouses or sores on hands would be any worse this tour than any other since they started an evening with rush.

I think their point was that it's a lot harder on him physically than it is on them during a show.
Then I assume it's always been that way.  I just don't see what has changed.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users