274 replies to this topic

#261 Permanent-Rush

Permanent-Rush

The Dream Police

• Members
  • 34019 posts
  • Interests:The Cure and 80's music

Posted 17 June 2016 - 04:03 PM

What the f**k people! I understand Neil is not an original member, but no one is better on drums than him. That also means no one can replace him. :rush: would not be :rush: without Neil.

Sponsored Post

#262 Phantom

Phantom

Prime Mover

• Members *
  • 997 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 08:03 PM

Yes, Rush would not be Rush without Neil. Ged and Al seem interested in writing and recording and maybe even touring. I for one would have interest in hearing new material written by Ged and Al. If they record it with Neil on drums, it's Rush. In my opinion, If they record it with someone else on drums, they should call it something other than Rush. Either way, I'd be into checking it out.  Side note.... if it's not Neil, PLEASE let it be Gavin Harrison.

#263 GabesCavesOfIce

GabesCavesOfIce

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 6451 posts
  • Location:Miamisburg, OH. Miamisburg, Oh. Miamisburg, Oh. Miamisburg, Oh
  • Interests:Miamisburg, Oh

Outland Empire (located on the opposite US coast from Johnny and Dave).

Posted 17 June 2016 - 08:21 PM

Although I agree its best the Rush name be retired along with Neil, however Geddy and Alex have certainly earned the right to continue with the name if THEY chose.

#264 GabesCavesOfIce

GabesCavesOfIce

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 6451 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 08:24 PM

View PostSurrender74, on 17 June 2016 - 04:03 PM, said:

What the f**k people! I understand Neil is not an original member, but no one is better on drums than him. That also means no one can replace him. :rush: would not be :rush: without Neil.

Actually :rush: is a fine album and does not include one extraordinary note from Neil. That was Rush delivered by Rush without actually being Rush.

#265 Phantom

Phantom

Prime Mover

• Members *
  • 997 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 08:40 PM

View PostGabrielgil513, on 17 June 2016 - 08:21 PM, said:

Although I agree its best the Rush name be retired along with Neil, however Geddy and Alex have certainly earned the right to continue with the name if THEY chose.
That's a great point. They have earned that right. I recall Ged's interview in Beyond the Lighted Stage where he said there is no replacing anyone in this band. It's just not possible. I think that speaks volumes, and I interpret that to mean if they do record with someone else, Ged wouldn't want to call it Rush

#266 GabesCavesOfIce

GabesCavesOfIce

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 6451 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 04:46 AM

Yes, its Geds call, with Alex. Not us.

#267 Xanadoood

Xanadoood

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 5475 posts
  • Interests:Music
    Biking
    Mountain Climbing
    Running
    Movies
    Reading

Posted 18 June 2016 - 09:48 AM

None of them would ever be replaced. It just won't happen.

I just heard an interview on the local radio with Peter Wolf, of J Geils..he revealed that The Police approached him as a Sting replacement..WTF.. I just can't see Geddy and Alex ever doing that

#268 GabesCavesOfIce

GabesCavesOfIce

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 6451 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 01:58 PM

I agree its very unlikely.

I like the idea of G n A recording a few songs, take them on the road with a female singer to see how the old material could sound with a fresh voice singing with Ged. Maybe, maybe not. But experimentation is what made them great back in the day.

They could also say lets do Lee Lifeson perform an evening of Rush music, and then think, why are addimg all these other words to our name? Yes, distinction that Rush can only be those three. Too bad Neil wanted to hurry to retirement, so much so he stunned Ged.

#269 Jaminbenb

Jaminbenb

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2874 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 07:31 AM

View PostXanadoood, on 18 June 2016 - 09:48 AM, said:

None of them would ever be replaced. It just won't happen.

I just heard an interview on the local radio with Peter Wolf, of J Geils..he revealed that The Police approached him as a Sting replacement..WTF.. I just can't see Geddy and Alex ever doing that

No.... I can't see it either... I CAN honestly see Alex and Geddy doing something at some point, and I honestly think that it will NOT be called "Rush", but they will work together....

#270 Jaminbenb

Jaminbenb

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2874 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 07:37 AM

View PostGabrielgil513, on 19 June 2016 - 01:58 PM, said:

Too bad Neil wanted to hurry to retirement, so much so he stunned Ged.

You know, I've given that a LOT of thought, and when I think of it, I always think of the Yes show I saw last summer and how badly Alan White played...he definitely affected the show, and it was disheartening to see him like that.  When I went to see them a week ago, Alan wasn't playing due to some injury/surgery that he's had, and they had a replacement.  It was a much better show...  (granted...Yes has had a revolving door of characters over the years, so it's not like it's three guys and three guys alone, that make up the band)

Saying that, if you went to a show, and Neil wasn't playing up to his usual standard, wouldn't you be extremely upset?  I think it's good that he knew enough to get out of it while he was still on top, and not try to come out and fake his way through a performance.....

#271 Eth2345131

Eth2345131

The Seeker

• Members
  • 251 posts
  • Interests:Music, History, Gaming

Posted 01 August 2016 - 08:45 AM

View PostDigital Dad, on 21 November 2015 - 10:35 PM, said:

View PostMieko8, on 21 November 2015 - 10:30 PM, said:

Weren't they called Rush long before they ever met Neil? ������������

Yes and they were a two bit bar band from Toronto who couldn't even score a record deal.
"We played in coffee shops for chips and gravy" i feel that sums it all up

#272 GabesCavesOfIce

GabesCavesOfIce

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 6451 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 07:02 PM

View PostJaminbenb, on 01 August 2016 - 07:37 AM, said:

You know, I've given that a LOT of thought, and when I think of it, I always think of the Yes show I saw last summer and how badly Alan White played...he definitely affected the show, and it was disheartening to see him like that.  When I went to see them a week ago, Alan wasn't playing due to some injury/surgery that he's had, and they had a replacement.  It was a much better show...  (granted...Yes has had a revolving door of characters over the years, so it's not like it's three guys and three guys alone, that make up the band)

Saying that, if you went to a show, and Neil wasn't playing up to his usual standard, wouldn't you be extremely upset?  I think it's good that he knew enough to get out of it while he was still on top, and not try to come out and fake his way through a performance.....

I fully agree, but believe the end was hurried. The only tour in decades without a second leg, and that happens to be their last tour ever?

He was more than capable of doing 30 more this year, based on his 2015 performances, giving the international audience a chance to see them one last time, and a handful of final shows in US/Canada.

#273 Permanent-Rush

Permanent-Rush

The Dream Police

• Members
  • 34019 posts
  • Interests:The Cure and 80's music

Posted 01 August 2016 - 09:02 PM

Saying that, if you went to a show, and Neil wasn't playing up to his usual standard, wouldn't you be extremely upset?

I would not be upset if he was not playing up to his usual standerd. I would be upset if he was not playing with Geddy and Alex.

Edited by Surrender74, 01 August 2016 - 09:02 PM.

#274 Jaminbenb

Jaminbenb

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2874 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 07:47 AM

View PostGabrielgil513, on 01 August 2016 - 07:02 PM, said:

I fully agree, but believe the end was hurried. The only tour in decades without a second leg, and that happens to be their last tour ever?

He was more than capable of doing 30 more this year, based on his 2015 performances, giving the international audience a chance to see them one last time, and a handful of final shows in US/Canada.

Yeah, THAT'S probably what actually upset me more than anything else. I figured that they'd have at least another leg of the tour, then have one massive blow out show in Pittsburgh or somewhere with some sort of significance...

View PostSurrender74, on 01 August 2016 - 09:02 PM, said:

Saying that, if you went to a show, and Neil wasn't playing up to his usual standard, wouldn't you be extremely upset?

I would not be upset if he was not playing up to his usual standerd. I would be upset if he was not playing with Geddy and Alex.

Sorry....I'd be sick if I saw him playing the way I saw Alan White at that Yes show....and Alan doesn't play HALF as hard as Neil ever did!

#275 New_World_Man

New_World_Man

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 866 posts
  • Interests:Music, internet, reading, outdoors, movies, etc.

Posted 03 September 2016 - 03:31 PM

Apparently the new drummer for Rush will be Meg White from the White Stripes.

https://www.ncscoope...shs-neil-peart/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users