• Please log in to reply
274 replies to this topic

#21 Mieko8

Mieko8

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 10:37 PM

Believe me. I see both sides and can justify both.  Back to my main point, it sucks that they want to continue but instead, they're stuck in purgatory.  Neil may not owe the fans anything, but you'd think he'd care enough about those 2 guys to do it one more time....for them.

View PostBowlCity, on 21 November 2015 - 10:34 PM, said:

View PostMieko8, on 21 November 2015 - 10:30 PM, said:

Weren't they called Rush long before they ever met Neil? ������������

View PostBowlCity, on 21 November 2015 - 10:21 PM, said:

View PostNarps, on 21 November 2015 - 10:19 PM, said:

I would go see them play with another drummer and I wouldn't care what they called themselves. Rush, Rash, R 40 something. I wouldn't care. To old for sentimentality at this point and I don't begrudge Neil his retirement either. He has earned it and then some. I just want to be entertained or not PERIOD. Just make a decision at some point and get on with it "While we're young" (Rodney D). Just my take and probably not a popular one either... :codger:

Oh, I wouldn't have a problem with Geddy and Alex doing something together, including live performances. I'd take offense to them calling it Rush, but any musical output from these boys (as long as it isn't like Presto) I'll happily give a shot, especially if it's done live.

As if that period has nearly as much significance as FBN-present, or even the debut with Rutsey. I'd consider that an extremely dumb excuse to continue as "Rush" without Neil.

Sponsored Post

#22 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21764 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 21 November 2015 - 10:39 PM

This subject has been run into the ground and sent to China. It's very unlikely that they would tour with anybody else other than Neil. They're not going to get another drummer and call it Rush. Just isn't going to happen.

#23 Narps

Narps

Official TRF Pace Car Driver

• Members
  • 27720 posts
  • Interests:Exercise, my children, my new grandchildren(twin boys), the rest of my life...

Posted 21 November 2015 - 10:39 PM

Time for bed. My head hurts... :hi:

#24 BowlCity

BowlCity

Cutler's Like a Knife (but it feels so right)

• Members *
  • 10245 posts
  • Interests:Video games, computer programming, guitar, Da Bears and Cubs

Posted 21 November 2015 - 10:46 PM

View PostMieko8, on 21 November 2015 - 10:37 PM, said:

Believe me. I see both sides and can justify both.  Back to my main point, it sucks that they want to continue but instead, they're stuck in purgatory.  Neil may not owe the fans anything, but you'd think he'd care enough about those 2 guys to do it one more time....for them.

View PostBowlCity, on 21 November 2015 - 10:34 PM, said:

View PostBowlCity, on 21 November 2015 - 10:21 PM, said:

View PostNarps, on 21 November 2015 - 10:19 PM, said:

I would go see them play with another drummer and I wouldn't care what they called themselves. Rush, Rash, R 40 something. I wouldn't care. To old for sentimentality at this point and I don't begrudge Neil his retirement either. He has earned it and then some. I just want to be entertained or not PERIOD. Just make a decision at some point and get on with it "While we're young" (Rodney D). Just my take and probably not a popular one either... :codger:

Oh, I wouldn't have a problem with Geddy and Alex doing something together, including live performances. I'd take offense to them calling it Rush, but any musical output from these boys (as long as it isn't like Presto) I'll happily give a shot, especially if it's done live.

As if that period has nearly as much significance as FBN-present, or even the debut with Rutsey. I'd consider that an extremely dumb excuse to continue as "Rush" without Neil.

He already did it for them "one more time". The video/audio collection documenting that was just released yesterday.

Look. If they wanna go out again I certainly won't complain. But it's not really fair to paint Neil as a selfish old man who doesn't want to "give us/Alex and Geddy what's deserved".

#25 grep

grep

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 872 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 10:53 PM

View PostDr. Sheldon Cooper, on 21 November 2015 - 09:58 PM, said:

Calling Mike Portnoy!

Exactly. I would love it, if it happened.

As it happens, Portnoy is sending his resume daily.

#26 troutman

troutman

My views are fishy

• Members *
  • 44549 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 10:57 PM

View PostDr. Sheldon Cooper, on 21 November 2015 - 09:58 PM, said:

Calling Mike Portnoy!

:facepalm:

#27 Union 5-3992

Union 5-3992

A Pale Boy with only Half a Brain

• Members *
  • 21061 posts
  • Location:The rich and sunny planet Ursa Minor Beta (or Buffalo NY)

Posted 21 November 2015 - 11:39 PM

That's a terrible argument. You know damn well that without Neil, they would never be the band as you know them now. They'd never have reached the heights they did with him

Edited by Union 5-3992, 21 November 2015 - 11:41 PM.

#28 Bigbobby10

Bigbobby10

Solar Federalist

• Members *
  • 2876 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 11:52 PM

Neil's replacement right here

#29 New_World_Man

New_World_Man

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 867 posts
  • Interests:Music, internet, reading, outdoors, movies, etc.

Posted 21 November 2015 - 11:56 PM

View PostBowlCity, on 21 November 2015 - 10:35 PM, said:

View PostNew_World_Man, on 21 November 2015 - 10:33 PM, said:

I don't think Mike Portnoy(as great as he is)would be an adequate replacement for Neil. Then again I don't think anyone would be.

Keep that egotistical jackass away from Rush...he's a good drummer but his personality alone should bar him from sharing the stage with the other two.

I met him briefly once but I honestly don't know much about his personality. He seemed nice to me but I don't think he's as laid back as Geddy and Alex and he probably doesn't have their off the wall sense of humor either.

#30 Mieko8

Mieko8

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 12:02 AM

I didn't say that.  Don't put words in my mouth.  They have the right to continue without him if they choose to do so.  They'd be just as great.  What they did with Neil is out there and can't be undone.  They can certainly continue the march forward if they were so inclined.  Is there anyone here who goes to all the shows that would stop going if it was a different drummer?  I'd still go to the show.  I'd be sad Neil's not there but oh well.  Better than forced retirement if they still want to play.

View PostUnion 5-3992, on 21 November 2015 - 11:39 PM, said:

That's a terrible argument. You know damn well that without Neil, they would never be the band as you know them now. They'd never have reached the heights they did with him

#31 Union 5-3992

Union 5-3992

A Pale Boy with only Half a Brain

• Members *
  • 21061 posts
  • Location:The rich and sunny planet Ursa Minor Beta (or Buffalo NY)

Posted 22 November 2015 - 12:16 AM

View PostMieko8, on 22 November 2015 - 12:02 AM, said:

I didn't say that.  Don't put words in my mouth.  They have the right to continue without him if they choose to do so.  They'd be just as great.  What they did with Neil is out there and can't be undone.  They can certainly continue the march forward if they were so inclined.  Is there anyone here who goes to all the shows that would stop going if it was a different drummer?  I'd still go to the show.  I'd be sad Neil's not there but oh well.  Better than forced retirement if they still want to play.

View PostUnion 5-3992, on 21 November 2015 - 11:39 PM, said:

I think you're underrating Neil's position in the band. They need him to be Rush. Without him, it would never be the same. I'd probably not see them if they continued to be called Rush.

#32 librarian

librarian

Aquarian Librarian

• Members
  • 5714 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 12:43 AM

Mr. Copeland?

#33 Disembodied Spirit

Disembodied Spirit

Big Hat Funny!

• Members
  • 3419 posts
  • Interests:Turned down the role of Billy Hicks in 'St. Elmo's Fire' Worked at WorldCom, Enron and AIG before realizing work is dumb. Once asked Sarah McLachlan out on a date, and was promptly turned down.

Posted 22 November 2015 - 12:54 AM

I love Neil but.............Ponder this:

Lou Gramm has been OUT of Foreigner LONGER than he was IN Foreigner.
Steve Perry has been OUT of Journey LONGER than he was IN Journey.
And they were the SINGERS.
Both bands very successful touring with new singers for 10-20 years....BTW feel free to put an APB out for Dennis DeYoung while you are at it....Styx is doing just fine without him

If you think a drummer, cannot be replaced, you are highly mistaken. I personally don't think it would happen,
but nothing, NOTHING shocks me in rock and roll

#34 Lucas

Lucas

Leave That Wrench Alone

• Members
  • 10808 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 01:30 AM

I'll preface this by saying that I love Neil, and completely respect his feelings and decision if he feels that he would like to step away .. As I said before, he has been an integral part of some of my all-time favorite music ..

With that said, whether the band records only, records and tours with him or records and tours without him, none of that will be "the same" ... Each album and each tour should be different, and step in a new direction - that is what we have all come to love and expect from RUSH, going all the way back to the way each album starting with The Debut was a piece of progress ..

At this point, I would never go see them live again WITH Neil - he has made it clear that touring and playing live is not something he enjoys - emotionally or physically ..

The comfortable shoe is no longer interesting with Rush ... It is like a husband and wife staying together simply to get thru the holidays even though one ( or both ) no longer wants to be there .

#35 Lucas

Lucas

Leave That Wrench Alone

• Members
  • 10808 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 01:33 AM

For ****** sake, Geddy and Alex, get Earl to play drums in the band

It'll be the most fun you've had in decades

#36 Mieko8

Mieko8

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 03:14 AM

As I suspected, I am not in the minority.  I could sense this watching Geddy and Alex talk about it.  They are not done.  They want to move forward.  They have more music within them to share.  They are moving ahead with or without Neil.  That said, I think when Neil realizes it, he will reluctantly limp to the finishline with them, rather than watch them do it with someone else.

#37 YYZumbi

YYZumbi

Vapor Trail

• Members *
  • 18664 posts
  • Interests:Vinyl records and music in general.

Posted 22 November 2015 - 04:51 AM

Both Geddy and Alex have said that Rush is probably not done. But if Neil does not wanna join, then at least Alex have said he will make another solo album. I think that is enough.

#38 thirteen

thirteen

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 847 posts
  • Interests:Guitar.
    AC/DC, Rush, Seasick Steve, SRV, Rainbow/Deep Purple.

Posted 22 November 2015 - 05:03 AM

No.  Don't forget that they need a lyricist as well.  Unless you want geddy to return to writing lyrics telling women what time it is and that he fancies some sex.
I assume Geddy wrote the lyrics for his My favourite headache album and they are not too bad.
Better than the lyrics Neil shoe horned into Geddys mouth on Clockwork Angels.

Edited by thirteen, 22 November 2015 - 05:03 AM.

#39 ReGorLaTroy

ReGorLaTroy

Modern Day Alice Cooper

• Members *
  • 12494 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 08:19 AM

I bet Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson and Taylor Hawkins would make for a rocking Rush!

#40 ReGorLaTroy

ReGorLaTroy

Modern Day Alice Cooper

• Members *
  • 12494 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 08:43 AM

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users