My take on r40!!

nicky6

I've heard the preview tracks.

I still think Geddy's voice sounds good. His tone and range are great. What the problem is to me, is the yodeling.

• Like 3

My 2 cents: What really stands out to me is how much better the sound quality is than on the CWA DVD. Night and day. I can crank this concert up on surround-sound and it actually sounds GOOD! I'd say it's the best sounding live release since "A Show of Hands."

We can all rest easy now.

Nicky6 has weighed in.

;) ;) ;) :LOL:

Sorry, Nicky, couldn't resist.

I'm glad this guy gave us his opinion!

http://i.imgur.com/iO32e0j.jpg

Edited by Super25Smasher
  • Like 1

Geddy's singing starts out pretty weak. It's like he can barely sing at all. It seems to improve after awhile though. But his voice was also really loud too. The music was too far in the background.

I like the DVD though despite those flaws.

I cannot for the life of me understand why Geddy Lee's vocals aren't mixed lower. Apart from the fact that he seems to yodel at times, he fails miserably at reading the prompter whilst singing, playing bass and listening to his in-ear monitor. That's not a criticism by the way, I see no way around this, but it is a factor nonetheless. Lowering his vocals in the mix would probably have helped.

Geddy's singing starts out pretty weak. It's like he can barely sing at all. It seems to improve after awhile though. But his voice was also really loud too. The music was too far in the background.

I cannot for the life of me understand why Geddy Lee's vocals aren't mixed lower. Apart from the fact that he seems to yodel at times, he fails miserably at reading the prompter whilst singing, playing bass and listening to his in-ear monitor. That's not a criticism by the way, I see no way around this, but it is a factor nonetheless. Lowering his vocals in the mix would probably have helped.

Lowering them enough for an all instrumental R40 that we all can just sing along too?... :D
  • Like 3

Lowering them enough for an all instrumental R40 that we all can just sing along too?... :D

<whine>Why do you hate Geddy so much?</whine>

• Like 2

you know us guys would get blasted in arguments about whos a good or bad singer. don't ever bring geddy to any of these and you will get wasted. so many better live singers out there would wipe him up. hes not the reason to like rush. for his singing. specially recently...

It is,

What it is. They are not 30 years old. We are lucky that they have been around this long. I don't give a sh** what Geddy's voice sounds like! it's to be expected. Just seeing them perform live gives me chills. Love em!! :codger: :Alex: :Neil: :geddy: :geddy: :geddy: :geddy: :rush: :haz:

I found with this tour and this show in particular that I got used to his voice after a song or two. Maybe after CA this is such an improvement that it's much less cringe worthy.

It's a massive improvement. No doubt about that.

• Like 1

starts out weak and gets worse and and worse... Just listened to a bootleg from the r30 tour and man, what a big huge difference. Its really embarrsing showing people lakeside park at a party and people will laugh at you.

I never cared about what other people thought of Rush. If I did...I would have never listened to them because they were globally panned when I was growing up.

"Oh your a Rush fan?" Rush sucks man. Guy can't sing and is ugly as f**k with that nose.

Whatever. Rush is my band....you don't get it....and quite frankly you don't have to. I have about 15 thousand other friends I can celebrate their brilliance with when I see them in concert. Your loss.

Rush f***ing rules.

• Like 2

you know us guys would get blasted in arguments about whos a good or bad singer. don't ever bring geddy to any of these and you will get wasted. so many better live singers out there would wipe him up. hes not the reason to like rush. for his singing. specially recently...

Oh yeah.....Geddy is no lead vocalist. He is the lead vocalist of Rush. Big difference. 99.99% of people who don't like Rush point right to Geddy's voice.

But that's OK. It is what made them our secret clubhouse for 35 plus years till all of sudden they become pop culture flavor of the month thanks to our fellow breathern in Hollywood, and the media.

Edited by Todem

I haven't listened to this yet, but I will sometime this week, probably. Based on what I've seen from what's been posted pre-release (Tom Sawyer, Xanadu, etc.) it'll be like the CA Tour, only with a really good mix, but other than that I'm expecting the performance to be the same. Solid performances from Alex and Neil, immortal bass playing from Ged, and shaky vocals here and there.

He clearly is on top of his game. He is playing his instrument better than Alex and Neil at this stage.

Clearly.

I haven't listened to this yet, but I will sometime this week, probably. Based on what I've seen from what's been posted pre-release (Tom Sawyer, Xanadu, etc.) it'll be like the CA Tour, only with a really good mix, but other than that I'm expecting the performance to be the same. Solid performances from Alex and Neil, immortal bass playing from Ged, and shaky vocals here and there.

He clearly is on top of his game. He is playing his instrument better than Alex and Neil at this stage.

Clearly.

I listened and watched the Blu-ray last night and then I put in R30 to compare and other than the vocals they are much tighter as a band now. You can tell they've improved as musicians over the past 10 years. Geddy has always been a monster of a bass player but he's gotten even better with age.

Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 1

Clearly.

I listened and watched the Blu-ray last night and then I put in R30 to compare and other than the vocals they are much tighter as a band now. You can tell they've improved as musicians over the past 10 years. Geddy has always been a monster of a bass player but he's gotten even better with age.

I think when you know it's likely your last shot at something, you're gonna go at it harder

Clearly.

I think when you know it's likely your last shot at something, you're gonna go at it harder

Hard to tell if Geddy thinks this is the end, but he's always given us 110%.

Clearly.

I don't think he ever half-assed his performances, but I just got a vibe that they had "something to prove" on the R40 tour, the type of spark that most comfortable, money-making arena bands seem to lose after a certain point. maybe it was the surrounding last tour buzz, but R40 felt more like an "event", whereas the other shows I went to felt more like, you know, just rock concerts.

• Like 1

Clearly.

I don't think he ever half-assed his performances, but I just got a vibe that they had "something to prove" on the R40 tour, the type of spark that most comfortable, money-making arena bands seem to lose after a certain point. maybe it was the surrounding last tour buzz, but R40 felt more like an "event", whereas the other shows I went to felt more like, you know, just rock concerts.

I agree. Plus they were playing a lot of classic songs which they haven't done in a long time.

Clearly.

I agree. Plus they were playing a lot of classic songs which they haven't done in a long time.

Yeah. It's important for them - and they felt this way, I'm sure - to revitalize all of the energy to perform those songs to match or even surpass the energy of from when those songs were first written. To throw off that "old geezer playing the nostalgic stuff" atmosphere of the performance. It's impossible to match it at this point performance or stamina wise for all three of them, but mad props for what they were able to pour into each show this tour.

• Like 1

Clearly.

Yeah. It's important for them - and they felt this way, I'm sure - to revitalize all of the energy to perform those songs to match or even surpass the energy of from when those songs were first written. To throw off that "old geezer playing the nostalgic stuff" atmosphere of the performance. It's impossible to match it at this point performance or stamina wise for all three of them, but mad props for what they were able to pour into each show this tour.

I think one of the main reasons they also sound tighter than R30 is they only had one tour under their belt after taking a long hiatus (98-01). The T4E tour IMO was probably the best I had ever heard them play as a band. They absolutely sizzled on that tour. Everything was clicking.

But these last two tours (CA/R40) they had never sounded better as a whole sans the obvious vocal strains due to age. The energy of the last two tours was unmatched. I just loved them to death. It was like seeing them again in the 80's for me personally.

• Like 1

Clearly.

I think one of the main reasons they also sound tighter than R30 is they only had one tour under their belt after taking a long hiatus (98-01). The T4E tour IMO was probably the best I had ever heard them play as a band. They absolutely sizzled on that tour. Everything was clicking.

But these last two tours (CA/R40) they had never sounded better as a whole sans the obvious vocal strains due to age. The energy of the last two tours was unmatched. I just loved them to death. It was like seeing them again in the 80's for me personally.

Right, except for the vocals not quite being up there I agree.

Clearly.

Agree agree agree.

T4E was probably my favorite tour, and not just because of 2112 in its entirety. Every tour after sort of became a new fav, but I could never shake T4E being so awesome. R40 surpassed it, no question.

There's so much I love. Love how all three evolve their parts on songs.. some ever so slightly, some slightly obvious, all wonderful. I can really hear the subtle improvements in Neil's style and delivery on R40, while still remaining true to the songs. Vocally, Geddy was not perfect of course but brought it so well that quibbling over vocals seems like such nitpicking to me. People ripping him for not sounding like it's 1985 seems like mean-spirited heresy! He was better than just good, and he was an absolute beast on the basses. Alex was Alex- on fire. Neil seemed practically flawless, and totally stunning. I do love me this release. The sound is f***ing off the charts for RUSH. I've never gotten so emotional about a RUSH dvd! Simply put, best ever.

I believe this was not RUSH's last stand.. that there's more to their story, but, it was almost like there was a King Theoden speech before the tour. "If this is to be our end, then I would have them make such an end, as to be worthy of remembrance!"

Ahh, so worthy. I'm not worthy! :LOL: :notworthy: :rush:

Clearly.

That's what she said.

• Like 3