Acronyms

gypsy muse

Ohhh, the other one might be SOCN. Everyone was referring to it the other day when Earl started the thread about ISIS, after the terrorist attacks in Paris.

Gypsy, if that was it, it stands for the forum called Sense O Clock News. It is the forum where politics is discussed. You have to tell the moderator you want to join. When TRF was set up, they (wisely) kept political discussions separate from everything else because it had been a problem on other online forums.

• Like 1

Can we PLEASE remember that not everyone here has been a fan since the beginning of time & doesn't know all the freaking acronyms!

I need to know what they mean!!! Come on folks. Would it kill ya to type out the words?!?!

Unrelatedly, I'm sorry I've ignored you for my twitter & Facebook Rush friends.

Also, when will I progress to the next level? I need goals see.

That is all.

TLDNR

what does that mean?
  • Like 2

Can we PLEASE remember that not everyone here has been a fan since the beginning of time & doesn't know all the freaking acronyms!

I need to know what they mean!!! Come on folks. Would it kill ya to type out the words?!?!

That is all.

TLDNR

what does that mean?

Too long, didn't read, iirc.

:LOL:

• Like 2

Just for the record an acronym is an abbreviation that spells a word. NATO, NASA, ABACAB, etc.

Actually, it is more than just that. I used to think it had to make a word, as well, but that is not the case.

• Like 1

Ohhh, the other one might be SOCN. Everyone was referring to it the other day when Earl started the thread about ISIS, after the terrorist attacks in Paris.

Gypsy, if that was it, it stands for the forum called Sense O Clock News. It is the forum where politics is discussed. You have to tell the moderator you want to join. When TRF was set up, they (wisely) kept political discussions separate from everything else because it had been a problem on other online forums.

no, you answered that one for me a while back. thank you!

But it did remind me of my pet peeve.

That WAS a good idea to keep it separate! Don't see myself going there anytime soon. Blah blah blah!

• Like 1

I'll just be that 'slow' person on here that has to ask over & over...

That's fine with me. It'll drive up my post count!

For the longest time I thought lol stood for "lots of love"

• Like 1

That is all.

I think Segue put a list of the Rush acronyms up somewhere, I will try to find the thread. I'm with Lorraine, ask as many questions as you want! After a long day (and 23 yrs x 3 kids x 10 plus animals) I have lost brain cells and also still have to stop to think: PeW? PoW?? PW? MFH?? (My Favourite Headache, Geddy's solo album) WTF??? :D :D

I just type the whole title out now. Got tired of trying to remember the acceptable abbreviations. I never forgot being chastised because I could never get the Grace Under Pressure one right -P/g? G/p? By the time I figure it out and remember which one is correct, it is faster to just type Grace Under Pressure.

It's grace under pressure so p/g is correct.

Thank you! I'm not alone!

Gypsy Muse, you can't be more ignorant than me. And I'm not just saying that either. I doubt that anyone knew less than I did when I came here. It's been a university education for me in many ways.

I never knew how little I knew about music until I came here. And I thought I knew all there was to know.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

It would make sense to learn the ones for the specific albums just on general principles but what other ones are used specifically here?

Maybe Gypsy will tell us the ones she was wondering about; I was wondering if it is just the album ones also??? I can't think of too many other ones that really get used much, maybe IMO ?

I do know the album ones. Mostly it's song titles that annoy me.

But also it just my own personal rant. You should see me at a work meeting! Every so often "what's that mean?" It's really embarrassing for them when they don't know what it even stands for anymore! I LOVE it when that happens!

• Like 1

Just for the record an acronym is an abbreviation that spells a word. NATO, NASA, ABACAB, etc.

Actually, it is more than just that. I used to think it had to make a word, as well, but that is not the case.

you are correct. It's the letter of each word in a phrase or description. I just looked it up. It does NOT have to spell a word.
  • Like 1

Gypsy Muse, you can't be more ignorant than me. And I'm not just saying that either. I doubt that anyone knew less than I did when I came here. It's been a university education for me in many ways.

I never knew how little I knew about music until I came here. And I thought I knew all there was to know.

yes I am learning A LOT on here as well. I'm always that person who doesn't get the joke until a few seconds later. Sometimes minutes!

But yes, some of these posts are so musically technical. I wish I understood more about it.

you are correct. It's the letter of each word in a phrase or description. I just looked it up. It does NOT have to spell a word.

Well...For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge.

• Like 2

I'll just be that 'slow' person on here that has to ask over & over...

That's fine with me. It'll drive up my post count!

For the longest time I thought lol stood for "lots of love"

Darlin I have been here just over 2 years and I am an old school Rush fan and had never been on the internet before either. It took me forever to learn all the acronyms and abbreviations for everything under the sun. Albums, songs, tours etc etc etc. Now having said that I am around here more than I care to mention and even have to sweep up every night before I leave so I got most of it figured out quicker than someone would being here once in a while like you are. The answer is you need to come around more (which I would love btw) or it's gonna take a while by asking as you have stated. Either way great thread and excellent question and truthfully "no" folks aren't going to stop using them... :LOL: :rose: Edited by Narps
  • Like 1

Let's take a time out for a palindrome:

A man a plan a canal Panama

be right back, after I look that up

A palindrome is a word, phrase, number, or other sequence of characters which reads the same backward or forward.

So "a man a plan a canal Panama." spells the same backward and forward.

• Like 2