Albums band members dislike

geodesicdomer

I know they don't dislike it, but I know the band has spoken about Hemispheres in a sort of negative light. I think they have bad memories from it since it was easily their most taxing album.
  • Like 2

I still have never seen any proof that any member of Rush has any dislike for Caress Of Steel. I have seen/read several interviews that they were discouraged by the lack of commercial success and the poor turnout for their shows. But they were proud of the album. Possibly some interviews with Neil about how they were still growing as musicians and that they really weren't 'Rush' until the Permanent Waves/Moving Pictures era.

Any links with proof to correct me??

Their setlists prove enough for me. By the time the Kings Tour ended, four of the songs were dead from the setlist, two of which were never played at all based on what information we have. Bastille Day was abridged on the Hemi Tour, then only a very short snippet was played on the Waves Tour. Then, nothing except a brief snippet of Bastille Day on R30, followed by a good enough representation of Lakeside Park on R40.

On That Metal Show, Geddy ranked it next-to-last out of the albums up to Signals.

• Like 1

I still have never seen any proof that any member of Rush has any dislike for Caress Of Steel. I have seen/read several interviews that they were discouraged by the lack of commercial success and the poor turnout for their shows. But they were proud of the album. Possibly some interviews with Neil about how they were still growing as musicians and that they really weren't 'Rush' until the Permanent Waves/Moving Pictures era.

Their setlists prove enough for me. By the time the Kings Tour ended, four of the songs were dead from the setlist, two of which were never played at all based on what information we have. Bastille Day was abridged on the Hemi Tour, then only a very short snippet was played on the Waves Tour. Then, nothing except a brief snippet of Bastille Day on R30, followed by a good enough representation of Lakeside Park on R40.

On That Metal Show, Geddy ranked it next-to-last out of the albums up to Signals.

He said he ranked it low because They were still trying to figure out their sound after adding Neil to the group. Doesn't mean he doesn't like it.

• Like 3

From everything I have ever read, Paul Stanley hated the song "Beth", and even to this day he is a complete prick about the entire success of the song, even denying Peter Criss' involvement in writing it ... Very unfortunate, and one of the reasons I love The Starchild but I am lukewarm, at best, the real person ..

For what it is worth, Peter Criss' account of the recording of "Beth"

.... We must have had more than twenty-five pieces in the orchestra. And when they finished the track, I was crying my eyes out, it was so beautiful. And the orchestra was clicking their bows and Bob ( Ezrin ) stood up and called me up to take a bow as the writer. When I was bowing to the room, I never felt so proud in my life.

With the track completed, we then had to go in and record the vocal. I went into the studio and ( Producer ) Bob Ezrin lowered the lights to get me in the mood. Just then, in walked Gene and Paul, and they sat down on the couch in front of the board. I was shitting a brick, all alone in there, about to sing KISS's first ballad. Meanwhile, those two fuckfaces were sitting in the booth stone-faced like they were at the zoo watching an animal through the glass.

"Okay, take one," Ezrin said.

All of a sudden, my legs began shaking. I was so scared I thought that my voice was vibrating when I began to sing. I looked and saw that Gene and Paul were grinning because I was really struggling.

"What's the matter, Peter?" Bob said.

"I can't sing like this," I said. "These two c***suckers are sitting there laughing – "

"Hey, assholes, get your f***ing asses out of the room," Bob screamed at them.

They left, and Bob closed the door. Then he sat down behind the console again.

"Okay, Peter, let's do this. Sing it for me."

We did a couple of takes and Bob suggested I go up a little higher. I did, and it was beautiful.

"I love it, I f***ing love it," he said, and called me into the console room to listen to the playback. He had the engineer make a quick mix, and then he called Gene and Paul back into the room.

"Listen to this," he said.

We listened and they had no reaction. No "Wow," no "Hmmm," no "Holy shit," not even a "This stinks." But I was ecstatic. Ezrin had taken Stan and my little song and had turned it into a masterpiece. Now I really understood why he was considered such a stone cold genius.

Edited by Lucas

John Lennon and George Harrison weren't all that impressed with Sgt Pepper. They were just indulging Paul.

Or (if you believe certain conspiracy theories) indulging the guy they'd only just hired to pretend to be Paul ;)

I think he was taller and his ears were shaped differently or something like that. Just as talented though it seems... ;)

Arguably he's even more talented than the "original" considering he wrote everything from Sargent Pepper and beyond.

You mean the hits of course. True that Paul carried most the weight of singles in later Beatles, but it wasn't all Paul; notably, there was All You Need is Love and Come Together (Lennon), and a couple somethings titled Something and Here Comes the Sun (Harrison). Looking at everything though, not just singles, Lennon was as prolific as ever (esp on The Beatles/White Album) and Harrison joined the hit-making club at the end. What really set Paul, or his stunt double, apart post-Pepper was Hey Jude and Let it Be.

John Lennon and George Harrison weren't all that impressed with Sgt Pepper. They were just indulging Paul.

Or (if you believe certain conspiracy theories) indulging the guy they'd only just hired to pretend to be Paul ;)

I think he was taller and his ears were shaped differently or something like that. Just as talented though it seems... ;)

Arguably he's even more talented than the "original" considering he wrote everything from Sargent Pepper and beyond.

You mean the hits of course. True that Paul carried most the weight of singles in later Beatles, but it wasn't all Paul; notably, there was All You Need is Love and Come Together (Lennon), and a couple somethings titled Something and Here Comes the Sun (Harrison). Looking at everything though, not just singles, Lennon was as prolific as ever (esp on The Beatles/White Album) and Harrison joined the hit-making club at the end. What really set Paul, or his stunt double, apart post-Pepper was Hey Jude and Let it Be.

I wasn't comparing him to the other Beatles. I was comparing the Paul McCartney work before Sgt Peppers and the work after (all the way to New) and that guy is arguably equal to or greater than the "dead" Paul

• Like 1

Regarding Rick Wakeman's opinion on Tales from Topographic Oceans, he says a lot of it is good, but what he disliked was the padding. When they wrote the album, they had too much material for a single album but not enough for a double album so they "padded it out" to make the songs stretch out to fill a double album.

Rick Wakeman absolutely hates "Union" though. He said after he listened to it, he threw it out his car window. Too many session members ended up on it and hardly any Yes members. I like it regardless though.

Mike Rutherford stated he wasn't impressed with "...and then there were three".

Seems 1978 was a bad year for existing progressive rock bands. Yes and Rush both had studio issues with "Tormato" and "Hemispheres".

• Like 1

Regarding Rick Wakeman's opinion on Tales from Topographic Oceans, he says a lot of it is good, but what he disliked was the padding. When they wrote the album, they had too much material for a single album but not enough for a double album so they "padded it out" to make the songs stretch out to fill a double album.

Rick Wakeman absolutely hates "Union" though. He said after he listened to it, he threw it out his car window. Too many session members ended up on it and hardly any Yes members. I like it regardless though.

Mike Rutherford stated he wasn't impressed with "...and then there were three".

Seems 1978 was a bad year for existing progressive rock bands. Yes and Rush both had studio issues with "Tormato" and "Hemispheres".

In my view Drama really stinks but I really don't know if Wakeman is on that one but I wouldn't listen to it if you held a gun to my head. Don't know about Union. Seems 78' was a good year from my view for what they turned out because I love both of those albums regardless of the problems the bands had. They made masterpieces under the "Circumstances" (no pun intended :LOL: ) as far as I am concerned... :)
  • Like 2

Rick Wakeman wasn't on Drama. Geoff Downes of the Buggles was the keyboard player, who is in the band now and who would help form Asia with Steve Howe.

"Tormato" is one in which I'd have to be in the mood to hear. I think around 1978, many rock bands were wondering which direction to go in so they struggled somewhat. Disco was going on and new wave was getting a foothold.

Rick Wakeman appears on Black Sabbath's "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" album which was being recorded next door to Yes recording Tales...

Edited by circumstantial tree

Rush has horrible taste in their own music. :boo hiss:

In my opinion. :) ;) ;) ;)

They haven't always picked the best choices for tour songs.

• Like 2

I really wish they would have played The Fountain of Lamneth or the complete Cygnus saga.

I really wish they would have played The Fountain of Lamneth or the complete Cygnus saga.

I was thinking more so previous to this tour. But they do things they like, doesn't necessarily mean majority of fans do.

• Like 1

Double postio

Edited by EagleMoon

I was thinking more so previous to this tour. But they do things they like, doesn't necessarily mean majority of fans do.

Yeah, and I can understand that. But they have some gems that they have rarely, if ever, played live that I would love to have seen.

• Like 1

In regards to Rush, I am at a loss as to why they passed over Garden Road as it could have been a standout on any of the first three albums ..

Maybe Terry Brown is partly to blame - as the producer, he certainly could have had some input

I Think I'm Going Bald is a novelty, barely average - and this coming from ME ... Best I Can isn't half the song Garden Road is either

• Like 3

In regards to Rush, I am at a loss as to why they passed over Garden Road as it could have been a standout on any of the first three albums ..

Maybe Terry Brown is partly to blame - as the producer, he certainly could have had some input

I Think I'm Going Bald is a novelty, barely average - and this coming from ME ... Best I Can isn't half the song Garden Road is either

Oh yes! Garden Road is one I wish I could've seen played live.

Pixies don't like Trompe Le Monde?! It's my favorite album of theirs. But my tastes don't seem line up with Rush's either (well, Geddy's or Neil's at least).

Mine too! I remember hearing in an interview or a documentary that FB/BF( Charles ) would like to go back in time and rewrite some of those songs.
  • Like 1

No. Because you are probably right. I just seem to recall Geddy talking about how Rush (or at least he and Alex) will get together and listen to some of the catalogue before making set list decisions thru the years and he didn't seem to think CoS was their best work. That is a far cry from dislike and my memory may be fuzzy. I sure do not recall any direct quotes of band members disparaging the album, more just my perception, I guess.

I wasn't comparing him to the other Beatles. I was comparing the Paul McCartney work before Sgt Peppers and the work after (all the way to New) and that guy is arguably equal to or greater than the "dead" Paul

Ok, I follow you. I got caught being too literal. Hate that when that happens. :cheers:

• Like 1