Albums band members dislike

geodesicdomer

While listening to Caress of Steel today, it occurred to me that members of several of my favorite bands have been quoted as not really liking albums that I really dig (e.g CoS--Rush, Monolith--Kansas, Trompe le Monde--Pixies, Animals--Pink Floyd, et al). Maybe it has something to do with commercial success but I am always somewhat dismayed to hear that those that created and performed music I love are lukewarm about it. Could be that they don't like to listen to a lot of their own stuff retrospectively. Richard Williams of Kansas answered my question, "Which Kansas albums do you most enjoy listening to after all of these years?" with a polite "I do not listen to any Kansas" I know, dumb question.
  • Like 1

I have heard but could stand corrected that the members of Yes and least some them disliked Tormato. I think it's brilliant but wtf do I know?... :) Edited by Narps

I know for a fact Rush members hate Y&T music.

I'm friends with Y&T members.

I have incredible stories about the leg back on the east coast.

Y&T opened for Rush on the GUP Tour for three weeks.

They hated each other!!!

If true, would love to hear more about that....

Dave Menniketti is a hell of a guitar player btw.

Edited by Fridge

I have heard but could stand corrected that the members of Yes and least some them disliked Tormato. I think it's brilliant but wtf do I know?... :)

The quotes I've read sound like that they just felt they didn't have as much time as they wanted to fully develop some of the ideas.
  • Like 1

I have heard but could stand corrected that the members of Yes and least some them disliked Tormato. I think it's brilliant but wtf do I know?... :)

The quotes I've read sound like that they just felt they didn't have as much time as they wanted to fully develop some of the ideas.

Appreciate the info. I barely could ever keep up with what the members of Rush think about their own music. With Yes all I know is their 70's output is brilliant to my ears but I have never really cared enough to know any details regarding how the members themselves felt about it... :)
  • Like 1

Appreciate the info. I barely could ever keep up with what the members of Rush think about their own music. With Yes all I know is their 70's output is brilliant to my ears but I have never really cared enough to know any details regarding how the members themselves felt about it... :)

I know Rick Wakeman thought Topographic Oceans was a step too far, which is why he took a break for an album Edited by Your_Lion
  • Like 1

I know Rick Wakeman thought Topographic Oceans was a step too far, which is why he took a break for an album

I have had that album for almost 40 years now as is true with all of their work I truly love and I think he was right to be honest. Never was a fan of that one. Maybe one day I will have to give all four sides another spin. I just know back then I wasn't impressed and rarely if ever played it. Maybe I would appreciate it more now. Still happy that it's part of my collection though. I consider my 70's album collection to be the best of all those bands outputs. I had some great taste back then but the masses generally couldn't care less about the music I loved. Was my little secret back then. "Conform or be cast out"... I chose the latter... :) Edited by Narps
  • Like 1

I totally agree, wtf do you know!

Was waiting for that one but you just never know where its going to come from. Well played... :goodone:
  • Like 1

John Lennon and George Harrison weren't all that impressed with Sgt Pepper. They were just indulging Paul.

Seems by all accounts and in retrospect indulging Paul was not a bad thing... Edited by Narps
  • Like 6

Pixies don't like Trompe Le Monde?! It's my favorite album of theirs. But my tastes don't seem line up with Rush's either (well, Geddy's or Neil's at least).
  • Like 1

John Lennon and George Harrison weren't all that impressed with Sgt Pepper. They were just indulging Paul.

Or (if you believe certain conspiracy theories) indulging the guy they'd only just hired to pretend to be Paul ;)
  • Like 2

From watching "making of" interviews on various Genesis albums, out of all of them, Mike Rutherford seemed the most embarrassed by the early Proggy Genesis period...even coming across as apologetic about the musical complexity :huh:

Or (if you believe certain conspiracy theories) indulging the guy they'd only just hired to pretend to be Paul ;)

I think he was taller and his ears were shaped differently or something like that. Just as talented though it seems... ;)
  • Like 1

I still have never seen any proof that any member of Rush has any dislike for Caress Of Steel. I have seen/read several interviews that they were discouraged by the lack of commercial success and the poor turnout for their shows. But they were proud of the album. Possibly some interviews with Neil about how they were still growing as musicians and that they really weren't 'Rush' until the Permanent Waves/Moving Pictures era.

Any links with proof to correct me??

• Like 2

I think he was taller and his ears were shaped differently or something like that. Just as talented though it seems... ;)

Arguably he's even more talented than the "original" considering he wrote everything from Sargent Pepper and beyond.

• Like 2

They don't like Presto. Also someone posted an interview where Alex said he disliked Permanent Waves at first.

which is just hilarious.

Mick

He at least likes Natural Science when it comes to playing that album live

sounded great on the new live album, BTW.

Mick

Arguably he's even more talented than the "original" considering he wrote everything from Sargent Pepper and beyond.

By golly I believe you are right... :ebert:

Bruce Dickinson doesn't like Somewhere In Time, reasonably, I guess, since all of his musical ideas for that album were rejected in favor of Adrian Smith's. Somewhere In Time is my favorite Maiden album.
  • Like 1