Any Linux users?

BigBob

Any Linux users here?

If so what distro/flavor do you use?

And why do you use it?

I've been using Ubuntu 14.04 with the KDE desktop enviroment for work. It works really well for software development.

I've just been Ubuntu 12.04 with the packaged envrioment for home use.

We use it because 2 years ago a Mormon missionary thought he would do us a favor when our USB ports stopped working. I told him all I needed was to be able to access iTunes.

Guess what's the one thing Linux can't do?

Other than that, it's more or less ok. The kids play Animal Jam and Minecraft on it.

• Like 1

I used to use LINUX more... when I was coding for a living. Red Hat, then Fedora.

These days I use these distros, pretty much to try to get away from Windows as much as I can.

Fedora 22 - for any programming I want to do for fun.

Some flavor of Ubuntu.. might be a 12. For web browsing, email, etc.

Both of the above I run in VMWare on a Windows 7 machine. Eventually I will pick one to install on a 5 year old laptop and do away with both VM's, and use for both programming and as an alternative desktop.

In the last 6months I've started toying around with AVLinux - a distro specialized for music production. Just to see how Synths and VST's work on Linux.

I just got a Rasberry Pi, so now I'm also a user of Raspbian. Fun little box, the RasPi. I could tape it to the back of a monitor and call it a poor man's iMac. LOL. Really want to use it as a media server/file server, to replace an old tower PC.

Edited by grep

I just got a Rasberry Pi, so now I'm also a user of Raspbian. Fun little box, the RasPi. I could tape it to the back of a monitor and call it a poor man's iMac. LOL. Really want to use it as a media server/file server, to replace an old tower PC.

I have one myself and had the same idea - will probably set it up as an iSCSI target.

I left all the command line operating systems far, far behind after DOS/Netware. I've been at companies that had a Linux server or two, but found them to be someone's self-indulgent project and extremely cumbersome to maintain. When I come across a pro-Linux tech I refer to it as 'fancy DOS'.

You paint an odd and unfamiliar picture of Linux as a server OS there .. a lot of companies, small and large use it as their server platform of choice because it's an industry standard and indeed less cumbersome and administratively expensive to maintain than its competitors, especially Windows.

I left all the command line operating systems far, far behind after DOS/Netware.

that's neat

too bad Linux is neither an 'operating system' nor a 'command line operating system'

it is a kernel -- i.e. the thing between the hardware and the software

now, Ubuntu and Debian are operating systems

neither of them are 'command line operating systems', though

sure, they can be if you want them to be, of course

however, most of their users use GUI's or as they're often called, 'desktop environments'

in fact i am only ever using a command line when i am coding/scripting or stuff done went really, really wrong

operating systems that use the Linux kernel have changed a lot since the late 1990's

you don't even start with a command line to set them up anymore (ignoring Gentoo, Slackware, etc)

just some clicks and waiting -- kinda like the Empires' software

but what do i know?

i just bumped a nearly year-old thread

http://fiveninety.ddns.net/html/emo/smile2.gif

Edited by Xanadu590
  • Like 1

I left all the command line operating systems far, far behind after DOS/Netware.

that's neat

too bad Linux is neither an 'operating system' nor a 'command line operating system'

it is a kernel -- i.e. the thing between the hardware and the software

now, Ubuntu and Debian are operating systems

neither of them are 'command line operating systems', though

sure, they can be if you want them to be, of course

however, most of their users use GUI's or as they're often called, 'desktop environments'

in fact i am only ever using a command line when i am coding/scripting or stuff done went really, really wrong

operating systems that use the Linux kernel have changed a lot since the late 1990's

you don't even start with a command line to set them up anymore (ignoring Gentoo, Slackware, etc)

just some clicks and waiting -- kinda like the Empires' software

but what do i know?

i just bumped a nearly year-old thread

http://fiveninety.ddns.net/html/emo/smile2.gif

I love this guy! :clap:

Edited by Mr. Not

to answer the original question, though

Ubuntu Studio w/ Xfce on multimedia/general desktops (14.04/trusty) and my little pink laptop (16.04/xenial)

Xubuntu w/ Xfce (that sounds redundant, i know) on my servers (trusty) and any large enough* USB flash disks or hard disks (xenial)

my desktops and servers are pretty old so they'll probably stay with 14.04/trusty until i can be sure that Linux 4.4 gets along with antique hardware as well as 3.13 does

*and i have a weird rule about external/USB mass storage: if it's big enough that i won't miss 2-3GB of it, i will put an OS on it so i can use it as a rescue and portable workspace environment

nonetheless, way back when i first started with Linux in 2003ish, i used SuSE Linux with KDE (dual booting with WinXP) on anything i'd dubbed a desktop and the same distro with Window Maker (NeXTSTEP-like) for servers and other utilitarian/appliance computers

in 2010 i was using openSUSE w/ Xfce on all my computers and there wasn't a byte of Microsoft's code left on my network

made the switch to the Debian-derived Ubuntu distros in 2014 because there's a lot more support out there for using Debian/Ubuntu as a desktop OS than there is for openSUSE and most of the other Red Hat/Slackware derivatives

aslo, if you need a desktop environment that's minimal on resources but can still look good, what you need is Xfce http://fiveninety.ddns.net/html/emo/smile2.gif

Edited by Xanadu590