The Official Thread of The Doors

The Cat 3

So, another band that has meant the world to me over the years is The Doors.

Another one of those bands that has been with me from my childhood, into my teens, into my young adulthood and still as important in my 50s as ever.

As I work through their catalogue, I am struck by just how good musically they were.

Duh!, right?

I mentioned earlier today that Jim Morrison was such a larger than life figure that sometimes the brilliance of Ray Manzarek, Robbie Kreiger and John Densmore gets overlooked.

(Not to mention the amazing production of Paul Rothchild).

So, where do you stand?

What are your thoughts and memories of this great band that shone bright like a shooting star and whose illumination stills shines bright today?

doors.jpg

• Like 3

Those 40th Anniversary remix albums are awful. Nothing beats the originals.

Doors' albums I never tire of are Strange Days, Waiting for the Sun and L.A. Woman.

Morrison Hotel has "Peace Frog" and "Roadhouse Blues", so I tolerate it!

The debut album is overplayed, so I never consider it when I'm in the mood for the Doors.

Oh yeah, JIm Morrison is the most overrated rock star EVAH. Along with Ozzy Osbourne.

And JIm was an a-hole.

He was in a great band, though.

• Like 2

I actually need some album recommendations for them, i listened to their greatest hits, but dont know where to go from there

They have six studio albums which clock in at less than 4 hours...one better than the next. My personal favourites are "The Soft Parade" and "Morrison Hotel", followed closely by the debut, "The Doors". (which is, in my opinion, one of the best debut albums by any band ever.
  • Like 1

I actually need some album recommendations for them, i listened to their greatest hits, but dont know where to go from there

Like I posted, Strange Days, Waiting for the Sun and L.A. Woman are my personal favorites.

The debut and Morrison Hotel are also very good.

People love the debut, so why don't you start there. Hell, just go chronologically.

• Like 2

I also suggest avoiding the 40th Anniversary remixes. They are totally unnecessary and distracting.

• Like 2

I also suggest avoiding the 40th Anniversary remixes. They are totally unnecessary and distracting.

I completely agree.
  • Like 1

Several years ago didnt ian astbury of the cult tour with the surviving members? Just curious if anyone saw that.

No matter whether you like the doors style or not , everyone should agree they were many years ahead of the times.

• Like 4

Several years ago didnt ian astbury of the cult tour with the surviving members? Just curious if anyone saw that.

Didn't see it, but he is Jim, reincarnated.

I really like ian and thought it would be an interesting show, but never made it.

• Like 2

Those 40th Anniversary remix albums are awful. Nothing beats the originals.

Doors' albums I never tire of are Strange Days, Waiting for the Sun and L.A. Woman.

Morrison Hotel has "Peace Frog" and "Roadhouse Blues", so I tolerate it!

The debut album is overplayed, so I never consider it when I'm in the mood for the Doors.

Oh yeah, JIm Morrison is the most overrated rock star EVAH. Along with Ozzy Osbourne.

And JIm was an a-hole.

He was in a great band, though.

Jim was a mix between David Lee Roth and Tom Jones in terms of stage presence. He could work a crowd, and had the whole mystique thing cranked to 11, beginning with what he pulled on the Ed Sullivan Show. But none of it would have worked without the great musicians around him.

It will always be a band you can not brush under the carpet .

I thought the debut album was their best when I discovered the band but then LA Woman became my favourite.

• Like 4

I went through a major Doors phase in my early 20's. In fact my band mates and I tripped some acid (1991) and part of our trip that night was to watch The Doors (movie from Oliver Stone). It was pretty damn amazing under that influence. We went to a midnight movie on Hollywood (Florida) Beach (remember midnight movies?) and saw it in a theater with maybe 8-9 other people. It was a crazy experience We then headed to the boardwalk and walked along the shoreline for a good hour when we realized we walked to Pompano Beach and had to make our way back to Hollywood LOL.

Anyway I like The Doors. They have a lot of very cool tunes and were very interesting and a pioneer of their time. Some of their music has not aged well at all, while some to this day remains incredibly cool. My all time favorite tune is without a doubt Riders On The Storm. Just an amazing trip.

One of the iconic bands of the 60's. Jim Morrison was no doubt never going to last. He was certifiable no doubt. Pure madman.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 2

Like I posted, Strange Days, Waiting for the Sun and L.A. Woman are my personal favorites.

The debut and Morrison Hotel are also very good.

People love the debut, so why don't you start there. Hell, just go chronologically.

In for a Doors marathon today. Lots of desk work to catch up on.
  • Like 2