The Official Thread of The Doors

The Cat 3

:musicnote: Poor Otis dead and gone

left me here to sing this song

Pretty little girl with a red dress on

Poor Otis dead and gone :musicnote:

I love these lyrics! Sounds so good! Great song...

• Like 1

The music is remarkable. Add to that Jim's poetic musings and you end up with a tremendous, enduring artistic statement.

:yes: You said it!

Jim was very related with images from subconscious. He loved reading, writing and the bohemian life.

He was an artist for nature, who saw the birth of rock 'n roll. All these elements were around him, who just arranged in musical form.

The Doors have a hard earned respect with me. Didn't care for the Morrison Mythos right off the bat. Reading No One Here Gets Out Alive in high school before I knew much about their albums surely didn't help. Liked a few tunes. Riders On The Storm is mesmerizing.

Fast forwarding a couple of decades, I marry someone who loves The Doors. My wife introduced me to all their albums. Hearing them at age 40 or so lends a different perspective. There's great stuff on every album, as well as some clinkers. Never liked the vaudeville type stuff. Its goofy. Davy Jones would try to wreck the Monkees albums with similar crap. I think there was a thread here long ago where someone thought The Doors could be considered early prog or pre-prog. I get it. The band is top notch and streets ahead of what was generally around in the '60's. Great guitar, great drums, and without Ray I think would have been lost. Ray was the glue that held that band together in more ways than one.

When I want to listen to The Doors, I'll put on L.A.Woman, or maybe Morrison Hotel. Soft Parade? Wishful Sinful is an absolute killer.

What a great way to know The Doors. :D

The three songs that made me get into their music when I was a teenager were Riders on The Storm, Love Me Two Times and When The Music's Over.

Edited by rhyv
  • Like 5

So.... It's the summer 1967. I'm in 7th grade and my sister, who just got her drivers license, is driving us to the NJ shore in our parents Buick Skylark. It's a hot summer day and this song comes on the AM radio out of NYC. This song was all over the radio that summer.

It's funny how you can relate moments in life to music.

• Like 2

To follow The Doors story, well my story.

The summer of 1968 my parents sent me off to TENN to visit my cousins. I was there for the HOT months of July and August. My cousins were a few years older and I learned a lot about music that summer. They played the hell out of The Doors. If I can remember, we played:

1. The Doors
  2. Strange Days
  3. Waiting for the Sun - It just came out

over and over. It's was a good summer for me.

• Like 1

Spanish Caravan is beauty. Asturias is one of the archetypal flamenco songs, and they play off of it brilliantly.

Here's the great Andres Segovia doing Asturias, for reference... (just in case anyone's interested)

(He makes it look so damn easy...)

• Like 2

Spanish Caravan is beauty. Asturias is one of the archetypal flamenco songs, and they play off of it brilliantly.

Here's the great Andres Segovia doing Asturias, for reference... (just in case anyone's interested)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9efHwnFAkuA

(He makes it look so damn easy...)

I'm interested. Never heard of him before.

It's incredible what he does in guitar. :)

I really love this song. In my top 5 Doors songs. Very moody.

http://youtu.be/yKOSBlP58SY

Great playing by Robby on this one!

You're Lost Little Girl is one of the songs I most appreciate singing.

Edited by rhyv

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meMiC1g_kZI

Pre-cool Jim, in a promo video for FSU. :LOL:

I didn't know about this little video. :LOL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_mbbzW5yeM

Starts with the recording of Wild Child...and Jim hammered drunk. An interesting take on Jim's image starting to eclipse the music.

Natural child, terrible child. :spitwater:

I love this song!

Cool video, anyway...

• Like 2