Doug Flutie's parents both die within one hour of each other -

alphseeker

As someone who has been with the same woman for 31 years, it strikes me as a beautiful end to their relationship. At the same time, my heart goes out to Flutie for his loss.
  • Like 4

This same thing happened to my grandparents (my fathers parents). I feel for Doug but my dad considered it a blessing after they had been married for 60 plus years. Sad yet poetic. My dad handled it very well. I hope Doug can find peace in the same way.... :( RIP
  • Like 3

This same thing happened to my grandparents (my fathers parents). I feel for Doug but my dad considered it a blessing after they had been married for 60 plus years. Sad yet poetic. My dad handled it very well. I hope Doug can find peace in the same way.... :( RIP

I can't help but think there must be a unique and odd solace and joy in knowing your parents pass this way. To lose anyone is devastating, of course. To lose both parents quickly is even more so brutal. Yet.... to lose them in a way that so clearly defines their love and relationship.... I think I would be oddly thankful if my mom and dad went out this way.

I imagine Flutie is a man of very mixed emotions right now.

• Like 4

I can't help but think there must be a unique and odd solace and joy in knowing your parents pass this way. To lose anyone is devastating, of course. To lose both parents quickly is even more so brutal. Yet.... to lose them in a way that so clearly defines their love and relationship.... I think I would be oddly thankful if my mom and dad went out this way.

It's pure poetry and grace. I hope that my wife and I granted such an end. Edited by goose
  • Like 2

It's pure poetry and grace. I hope that my wife and I granted such an end.

I see this very much the same. The story itself is way more sweet than bitter, but looking at it thru Doug's eyes, I'm sure the perception is much different. When 2 people find each other that are "soulmates" it seems like this is the perfect way to end, after a nice long run.

My dad's aunt and uncle died in their 90s, less than a week apart. It almost happened to my mother's parents, but my aunt just happened to visit my grandmother as she was close to death, and was saved with a 911 call. She lasted 4 more years after my grandfather passed, but was never the same.

• Like 1