Let's cut Neil some WELL DESERVED slack!

Thunder Bay Rush

Neil has worked very hard to become one of the best rock drummers out there. 40 years or so on the road... he went through some personal crap that many people could not have made it through... He has a wife and a young daughter (I am so happy that he found a "second chance" at a great family life.) If he doesn't want to tour anymore, I can understand why. Pretty obvious, really.

Don't forget... the man is 62. Anyone here ever thought about retiring? I hear some pretty insensitive things about Neil and it bugs the sh** outta me. We should all be thankful that we ever had the chance to hear and see him play, read his lyrics and books. The man is getting some bad arrows slung in his direction and it’s not fair. Stop being so selfish.

I hope he does retire.

Edited by Thunder Bay Rush
  • Like 19

Agreed.

At the same time, I do get why some fans (particularly younger ones, I have noticed) are disappointed. I don't get the anger, but I get the disappointment. I actually respect the disappointment.

Although there are examples and exceptions, I have noticed there is a general division of sorts on the topic by the general age of fans.

For many of the more "veteran" fans (I am not saying we are old, but....), the prospect of Neil's retirement is understood. To your point, many of us have pondered retirement ourselves. Many of us have endured the tragedies of life (not on the same level as Neil, but the concept is the same). Many of us have other family factors (again parents, children growing older, grandchildren, etc.) that alter our construct of what is important. And, probably another key reality is many of us have extensive memories of the band, including seeing them live on many occasions (I do think it's only fair to acknowledge that perspective does impact opinions.... I, for example, have been very fortunate to have seen them live dozens of times, so my sense of loss is much less than someone who has seem them rarely if ever).

On the other hand, for many of the younger fans, the implications are growing older are understandably not yet understood and the sense of loss is greater because they don't have the same decades of emotional connection to the band to look back on. I get that. Again, I get the disappointment. I don't, though, get the anger.

Edited by WorkingAllTheTime
  • Like 5

I agree with just about everything you said ('cept for that last line- just because my greedy heart would love to see them make some more new music together, whenever that might be).

He turned 63 in September. And Ged and Al are right behind him. After all they've done for us, they deserve to do whatever they want to.

• Like 4

If Neil wants to retire, he should just open his mouth and say it. Don't drag the fans along, don't drag Geddy and Alex along, just either confirm or deny you're done with Rush. I'd have a LOT more respect for him if he would just be honest with himself and say it.

I think that even if that tragedy never happened, he has a right to retire anyways. Unlike a few people on here I don't think he should be forced to keep playing until Geddy and Alex tell him he can stop.
  • Like 2

If Neil wants to retire, he should just open his mouth and say it. Don't drag the fans along, don't drag Geddy and Alex along, just either confirm or deny you're done with Rush. I'd have a LOT more respect for him if he would just be honest with himself and say it.

And Hell freezes over.

Fraroc, I kind of agree. The issue concerning Rush is not so much that Rush are "done" rather that they are done touring. Peart seems to suggest that there will be no more touring whereas Lee and to some extent Lifeson, seem not to have closed the door entirely. Geddy Lee has that "we've been down this road so many times before" weariness to his voice and that suggests that conversations are still being had.

That suggests a split camp, something we are unused to with Rush.

I would say, on many levels, that's fair. At the same time, I wonder if that is a realistic expectation of human nature?

Right now, Neil pretty clearly wants to be retired, from touring at least. But he's human and maybe he's been through enough to know that thoughts and emotions can change? Maybe he is struggling with committing to the idea of full retirement? Maybe he just doesn't know? Maybe he's being as honest as he can be at this moment? Maybe it's harder to close that door than we think?

Obviously, I don't know for sure and I am just guessing.

• Like 5

I think that even if that tragedy never happened, he has a right to retire anyways. Unlike a few people on here I don't think he should be forced to keep playing until Geddy and Alex tell him he can stop.

It's not about him wanting to retire, it is an issue of how. It's an issue of lack of clarity and transparency - there are still doubts. It's also about if there will be no more tours some fans not getting the chance to see the band whilst others have. That's not jealousy or entitlement it's about playing fair with your core audience.

Of course he is entitled to retire. Damn I would retire at 55 if I could afford to.

Can I just say you sound like you have a real lack of understanding? Hey, I said it. Fans aren't being dragged anywhere. Neil said "There's no strict answer" in the latest issue of Modern Drummer when asked about the future. Geddy and Alex don't know what the future holds. No one does. Stop being pissed at Neil for not charting out the next few years for you. What happens will happen, or not. The band is on "holiday". Geddy says they'll talk about a new album next year. Just be happy Neil hasn't said he's done with Rush, or said he's retired from drumming. That would be stupid. He is honest. Like Johnny told you in another thread, you just don't like the answers.

Ugh!

Thanks. :)

• Like 3

I don't think anyone ever said he didn't have a right to retire; they have just questioned the manner in which it took place. You may or may not agree with their opinion on it, but "it is what it is."

So, we can have 36 pages of this back and forth all over again, or we can agree to disagree and just move on already.

• Like 3

Can I just say you sound like you have a real lack of understanding? Hey, I said it. Fans aren't being dragged anywhere. Neil said "There's no strict answer" in the latest issue of Modern Drummer when asked about the future. Geddy and Alex don't know what the future holds. No one does. Stop being pissed at Neil for not charting out the next few years for you. What happens will happen, or not. The band is on "holiday". Geddy says they'll talk about a new album next year. Just be happy Neil hasn't said he's done with Rush, or said he's retired from drumming. That would be stupid. He is honest. Like Johnny told you in another thread, you just don't like the answers.

Ugh!

As I was reading your post I was thinking, "Yup I agree...yup...totally...yup yup..." then I saw my name. You say it better here than I briefly did in that other thread.

• Like 2

I don't think anyone ever said he didn't have a right to retire; they have just questioned the manner in which it took place. You may or may not agree with their opinion on it, but "it is what it is."

So, we can have 36 pages of this back and forth all over again, or we can agree to disagree and just move on already.

No no, we can't do that. Some need 36 pages of bitching, 36 pages of disagreeing, 36 pages of agreeing, 6 pages of confusion, 3 pages of apologizing for fighting, and a partridge in a pear tree.

• Like 3

Looks like we're getting a pretty good start already, yep.

Can I get a :eyeroll: ...?

And another :eyeroll: :eyeroll: ...?

• Like 2

No no, we can't do that. Some need 36 pages of bitching, 36 pages of disagreeing, 36 pages of agreeing, 6 pages of confusion, 3 pages of apologizing for fighting, and a partridge in a pear tree.

I could go for some pears. I'd be perfectly willing to part with the partridge, if I could have the pear tree.

Especially the partridge in a pear tree.

Adds a nice touch. :P

No. You don't understand.

Hehe

I've never had a problem with Neil Or them not touring. it's these diehards that feel their owed something and that Neil is a sack of shit.

i don't care what he or the band want.

whatever.......just be happy boys.

Mick

• Like 1

Especially the partridge in a pear tree.

Adds a nice touch. :P

I'll have the five gold rings if one of them's the One Ring to rule them all :outtahere:

Ugh!

As I was reading your post I was thinking, "Yup I agree...yup...totally...yup yup..." then I saw my name. You say it better here than I briefly did in that other thread.

Thanks. I must say I'm a fan of your rational point of view-type posting style. I hope I wasn't too rude to fraroc, but it was the second time this morning that I read essentially the same post from him in two different threads. Gahh! :LOL:

• Like 1

What if he honestly doesn't know? I know lots of 60ish professional people that think retirement would be nice but then they find out the just can do it and they go back to work.

Give him a chance to breath, and enjoy life for a minute without having to make a snap decision.

• Like 3

We know like 1% of the entire situation, our view is stitched together from a few radio and internet interviews.

There's a good chance he's told Geddy and Alex no, many many times. And in their head they might know he said no, but in their hearts they know he's said no before too.

So why doesn't he just say it bluntly in interviews?

a) Because business and PR reasons

b) Because he's Neil Peart, and he probably looks at the dozens of bands who have "officially" called it quits only to pick up and tour three years later, and thinks that's incredibly tacky and mildly manipulative.

Neil owes us almost literally nothing. He doesn't owe it to us to give us a "straight answer". He's given us (and his band mates) much more of his physical, mental, and emotional self than most men could ever dream to. So for any of us to say he's "dragging fans along" is one of the most obtuse, bullheaded statements. For us, it's just a matter of if we get to see Rush again. In the gran scheme of things, those are incredibly low stakes. For Neil (and Alex and Geddy), it's a matter of how they want to spend the rest of their lives, and if they all have the strength to do it all again. Guess what? That's probably a pretty hard decision, and mere months after finishing a healthy tour probably isn't the time when he's going to give a clear-headed answer.

Edited by puffyshirt
  • Like 3

Neil has worked very hard to become one of the best rock drummers out there. 40 years or so on the road... he went through some personal crap that many people could not have made it through... He has a wife and a young daughter (I am so happy that he found a "second chance" at a great family life.) If he doesn't want to tour anymore, I can understand why. Pretty obvious, really.

Don't forget... the man is 62. Anyone here ever thought about retiring? I hear some pretty insensitive things about Neil and it bugs the sh** outta me. We should all be thankful that we ever had the chance to hear and see him play, read his lyrics and books. The man is getting some bad arrows slung in his direction and it’s not fair. Stop being so selfish.

I hope he does retire.

I agree with everything but the "I hope he retires" part. I want another album and I'm pretty sure we are gonna get it :)