Let's cut Neil some WELL DESERVED slack!

Thunder Bay Rush

Good lord. Why do some people have such a hard time with figuring out what is being compared when comparisons are presented?

What he's saying is that blaming Neil for wanting to retire due to events he can't control (aging and the bodily weakening that comes with it) and not giving you adequate notice of his decision is as stupid as blaming Dimebag for events he couldn't control, either.

This. And since you some of you guys have trouble with reading comprehension, i said that needing more than three months to make travel plans to a concert is anal. If you're traveling from another continent, then obviously I'm incorrect, but that's not what most people do. Most people just buy their concert tickets and then live their lives until the months pass, then drive to the show a couple of hours or maybe an hour before it starts. Only since the interweb do people arrange big fan meet ups, and even that only takes about as long as picking a bar or spot to agree on. Hell, some people decide on the spur of the moment to just drive out on the day of the show without a ticket and try to score one in the parking lot. If anything, complain that the show didn't make it outside North America this tour. That is a very valid complaint, unlike most other gripes on the thread.

I really think this forum needs a new section just for Neil bashers. Call it "Neil Peart Haters Club" or something like that. And we can also have the "In Search of Geddy Lee's Vocal Range" section and maybe a similar section for Alex's hair.

I really think this forum needs a new section just for Neil bashers. Call it "Neil Peart Haters Club" or something like that. And we can also have the "In Search of Geddy Lee's Vocal Range" section and maybe a similar section for Alex's hair.

It's a Rush forum that hates Rush. Which part of that do you not understand?

• Like 1

I didn't bother to wade through the eleven pages on this topic, so forgive me if I made a point that someone else has brought up...

I think that Neil himself doesn't know what he wants to do. I'm in my mid 40's, and I can't imagine going on tour for 3-4 months every year or two. I imagine a responsive crowd helps with the adrenaline, but when it's over, you've got to be exhausted, especially at their age. Thus, it's likely no surprise that when you start reaching retirement age, you wonder how long you'll be able to keep doing it. Throw in the fact that Neil is far more introverted than most rock stars, and it's no surprise he's considering calling it a career, at least when it comes to touring.

At least they did one hell of a tour to go out on, and in many ways there was not a more fitting final tour for this Canadian trio.

I didn't bother to wade through the eleven pages on this topic, so forgive me if I made a point that someone else has brought up...

I think that Neil himself doesn't know what he wants to do. I'm in my mid 40's, and I can't imagine going on tour for 3-4 months every year or two. I imagine a responsive crowd helps with the adrenaline, but when it's over, you've got to be exhausted, especially at their age. Thus, it's likely no surprise that when you start reaching retirement age, you wonder how long you'll be able to keep doing it. Throw in the fact that Neil is far more introverted than most rock stars, and it's no surprise he's considering calling it a career, at least when it comes to touring.

At least they did one hell of a tour to go out on, and in many ways there was not a more fitting final tour for this Canadian trio.

Not a single point of yours was mentioned in this thread before.

Sigh. I don't really want to read through all of the arguing thats gone on for 11 pages of posting so what I say may have already been gone over but, well if it has been, to bad. I am just going to post anyway.

I totally agree that we need to give Neil and the entire group massive slack. If Neil and / or any of the others in the group decide to retire - I wish them well. They are retirement age and Neil has gone through a lot. I hope he has a wonderful time with his new family.

Perhaps he is having a hard time pulling the trigger on the decision because its such a big decision. Understand that 100%. Perhaps he wants to but does not want to tear apart Rush and hurt Alex and Geddy. Totally get that.

Perhaps he does want to do another album but not tour. That may set him at odds with Geddy and Alex and he is having a hard time telling them that. Fine.

Perhaps he sort of does want to keep playing, but can he at the level he wants to play at?? That may be giving him problems. Geddy mentioned on Sirus Radio the other night Neil was obviously in pain before shows on R40. Why do more which leaves you in pain all the time? Don't want that.

Remember, it was mentioned in "Contents under Pressure" that as far back as 1975 Neil did not like touring and that as far back as 1989 he wanted to be only a studio player. Also remember that Neil mentions in the notes for the Rush in Rio CD / DVD that that tour was longer than he wanted. So he not wanting to tour anymore should shock nobody.

Frankly I would just be happy with studio albums and no tours. But above all, I wish all of them the very best and the joy and happiness they deserve (which is a lot).

This is the post of the year. Post of the decade, really. It should be posted on the board header, in bold caps. It should be told to every new member, so there's no misunderstanding about what to expect. I salute you, Tony.

Gil, I just noted you were back around here a couple of days ago, maybe- haven't seen you around since tour time (a little before the New York area shows anyway, I think ;) ).

I will say that I do wish our overseas friends could have had the R40 tour brought to them. Absolutely, I agree with where you're coming from on that front.

However...some of the commentary in this thread directed at the band has been...just inappropriate, to the nth degree.

But anyway...rock on. :haz:

Gil...almost missed it! After R40, I went all out Blur as they played their first US shows in 13 years and their first MSG show ever. They did a nice shout out to Lou Reed at MSG. Then I dabbled into Tool as its been TEN years since I've been in the same room as them, almost as magical as Rush. But their warm up tour is skipping the Northeast, so its gonna be awhile longer til Tooltime.

I've been reading a lot of TRF the past few months, just posting a lot less. Until now! :haz:

This is the post of the year. Post of the decade, really. It should be posted on the board header, in bold caps. It should be told to every new member, so there's no misunderstanding about what to expect. I salute you, Tony.

And fans (and crew) are obviously pissed at his well deserved, yet extremely abrupt retirement. Thanks for the 41 years of uninterrupted loyalty and support fans.

Good lord. Why do some people have such a hard time with figuring out what is being compared when comparisons are presented?

What he's saying is that blaming Neil for wanting to retire due to events he can't control (aging and the bodily weakening that comes with it) and not giving you adequate notice of his decision is as stupid as blaming Dimebag for events he couldn't control, either.

This. And since you some of you guys have trouble with reading comprehension, i said that needing more than three months to make travel plans to a concert is anal. If you're traveling from another continent, then obviously I'm incorrect, but that's not what most people do. Most people just buy their concert tickets and then live their lives until the months pass, then drive to the show a couple of hours or maybe an hour before it starts. Only since the interweb do people arrange big fan meet ups, and even that only takes about as long as picking a bar or spot to agree on. Hell, some people decide on the spur of the moment to just drive out on the day of the show without a ticket and try to score one in the parking lot. If anything, complain that the show didn't make it outside North America this tour. That is a very valid complaint, unlike most other gripes on the thread.

HTG, your explanation of how fans normally go to concerts is spot on, for every circumstance except this one. When saying goodbye after 41 years of loyalty and support, this tour retirement choice is beyond abrupt.

include Geddy Alex and the entire organization (according to FOH if the Alex t shrt in the garbage post was accurate) that agree with this characterization. I am talking about a few more months to arrange time off from work and travel plans. A few months is irrelevant when discussing a slow progressing ailment.

They could have spaced out the tour announcement from the first show by a month or two and played two shorter legs with a 2 month break, instead of one longer run, to give the loyal fans that have been supporting this drummer for 41 years a minimum amount of time to react to his life altering non announcement. FU fans.

Edited by Gabrielgil513

Partial transcript from the siriusXM interview:

Lee: I love touring, and I’m ready to go on very short notice, but my life is simpler than my partners’ lives, and Neil has a complicated life: he has a young daughter and new family that he feels, really feels pained to leave, and I understand that and he has issues, physical issues—when you play like a monster for three hours the body is not, it’s not cooperating with him, and it’s very hard for him and very . . . he pays a price. There are times when you see him backstage in the middle of a tour, and he’s really suffering so he’s not sure he’s got the fortitude to continue playing like that. But you know maybe there’s an answer down the road after some time, and that’s why we’re trying not to be hasty in making any big conclusions. We’ll just let everybody be and everbody find their centre and see if we can come together with some plan.

Lifeson: I’m glad I just heard that ‘cause now I know what we’re doing.

Lee: Didn’t you get the memo?

Lifeson: I mean I feel exactly the same way. I felt very healthy on this last tour after having some issues over the last few tours., I felt great on the tour, and I love playing every night and I love playing every note of every one of those songs, and I still have some in me that I would like to do. But for all those reasons that Ged just said, we do need to have a little time to just settle and see where it goes.

Edited by toymaker

I watched R40 today, and I have (surprise!!!) a question:

Do you think if Neil took better care of himself (lost weight and worked out) it might help him? If for no other reason then to keep him around for his family longer?

Helped him how? I'm sure he would be healthier if he cut out the Macallan and the cigarettes.

Do you think if Neil took better care of himself (lost weight and worked out) it might help him? If for no other reason then to keep him around for his family longer?

Helped him how? I'm sure he would be healthier if he cut out the Macallan and the cigarettes.

Give him more stamina. And keep him alive longer. He could stand to lose some weight.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

Give him more stamina. And keep him alive longer. He could stand to lose some weight.

I wasn't sure if you meant helped him want to play again or just in general. He's needed to lose weight for quite a few years now.