NFL sucks this year

HemiBeers

Funny you post this... I head to my parents house every afternoon game the Packers play. They live 2 miles away, so it's a very short drive and I am often pretty much the only person on the road. Most people are at home, watching the game - it's kinda cool to see. This weekend, there were tons of people on the roads.

So wait, the Packers lose three games and the fans give up?

We'll see how you handle four.

That is a huge game coming up and they will be on the road....a place where the Packers have not faired well. I'll take the Vikings at home in the Confidence Pool.

Unless the Packers get things figured out quickly, the team that played against the Lions will not have a chance of winning... only saving grace is it's not in the Dome.

That might help but they better figure out a way to stop one of the leagues top rusher in Adrian Peterson.

Throw a baby on the field!

:LMAO:

:beathorse:

I think the nfl is on the way down. Rule changes, off the field issues and a host of other issues are catching up.

Complete bankruptcy and league collapse within 2 years

With 21 teams out of 32 that are at or below .500 at this point, the entire league just sucks this year. This is not what parity was about. There's only 8 teams worthy of being playoff teams and 2 of those, Denver and Green Bay, are starting to tank.

I'm using my time on Sunday afternoons for things that are more productive than watching 3 hours games, filled with commercials half the time, between suck-ass teams.

I agree. As a Raider it really pisses me off. I thought they were on the right track and now they suck.

Do I really have to watch Tom Brady win another Superbowl?

VOMIT!

Yes, you do :P

Patriot

GO CAM NEWTON!

Patriots.....Panthers SUPER BOWL.....while BOTH are UNDEFEATED

Yeah can you imagine the ratings that would get? Even people who hate football would watch it.

As long as Tyree doesn't come out of retirement and join the Panthers I'm on board with that all the way.

Patriot

GO CAM NEWTON!

Yeah can you imagine the ratings that would get? Even people who hate football would watch it.

As long as Tyree doesn't come out of retirement and join the Panthers I'm on board with that all the way.

I know a few down here in South Florida who wouldn't watch that game.....most of the '74 Dolphins team.

Edited by g under p

With 21 teams out of 32 that are at or below .500 at this point, the entire league just sucks this year. This is not what parity was about. There's only 8 teams worthy of being playoff teams and 2 of those, Denver and Green Bay, are starting to tank.

I'm using my time on Sunday afternoons for things that are more productive than watching 3 hours games, filled with commercials half the time, between suck-ass teams.

Rozelle championed parity and that made sense in a 28 team league. Unfortunately, his successors championed movement and expansion. The result is a pronounced dilution of talent.

Think about it.... 4 more teams... 53 man rosters... that's 212 players who would not be in the league during Rozelle's time frame. 212 men who should be playing in Canada or the Arena League or whatever.

I pretty much stopped watching the NFL religiously about three years ago. Thursday Night Football was the death nail for me. Oh, really, you want me to watch a couple of teams you had to line up on Thursday to make sure each club gets their exclusive prime time slot? Nah. I will ride my bike, read a book, or do something more entertaining like watch paint dry.

Rozelle championed parity and that made sense in a 28 team league. Unfortunately, his successors championed movement and expansion. The result is a pronounced dilution of talent.

Think about it.... 4 more teams... 53 man rosters... that's 212 players who would not be in the league during Rozelle's time frame. 212 men who should be playing in Canada or the Arena League or whatever.

I pretty much stopped watching the NFL religiously about three years ago. Thursday Night Football was the death nail for me. Oh, really, you want me to watch a couple of teams you had to line up on Thursday to make sure each club gets their exclusive prime time slot? Nah. I will ride my bike, read a book, or do something more entertaining like watch paint dry.

The way I see it right now is that even though the season's pretty shit, baseball doesn't start for ~5 months.

I agree. As a Raider it really pisses me off. I thought they were on the right track and now they suck.

Do I really have to watch Tom Brady win another Superbowl?

VOMIT!

Yes, you do :P

HAHAHA! BACK AT YOU!!!!

Signed,

THE FUKK RULE

• Like 1

The last year of 28 teams was 1994 or 1995. There are now 32, for a 14% increase. I'd be willing to guess the US population has increased by just as much if not more during that time.

There isn't a major team sport in America that hasn't expanded at roughly the same rate or higher.

If there's a problem, it's all of the gimmick offenses in college that lead to mostly unprepared rookie QBs, though the real problem IMO is people's tendencies to forget that mediocrity was rampant in the past too.

After all, a guy like Scott Mitchell threw for over 4000 yards one year in the mid 90s.

The last year of 28 teams was 1994 or 1995. There are now 32, for a 14% increase. I'd be willing to guess the US population has increased by just as much if not more during that time.

There isn't a major team sport in America that hasn't expanded at roughly the same rate or higher.

If there's a problem, it's all of the gimmick offenses in college that lead to mostly unprepared rookie QBs, though the real problem IMO is people's tendencies to forget that mediocrity was rampant in the past too.

After all, a guy like Scott Mitchell threw for over 4000 yards one year in the mid 90s.

Yeah, I heard folks use population growth being on par with expansion rate as a justification for expansion and/or an argument the talent pool is not dilluted, but there's a fallacy in the second assumption.

The population growth in the time frame is actually much higher than 14%. It was around 266M in 1995 and is estimated around 321M today. That's an increase of 55M nearly 21% higher.

But here's the first fallacy. Our growth is not built on birth rates, but immigration, primarily from Latin America. American football is still largely American, whereas Latin American athletes are primarily drawn to soccer, baseball, and more recently basketball. Unlike MLB, NBA, and NHL rosters, NFL players are overwhelming American born. There are a handful of examples of first or second generation citizen Latin American players in the NFL today, but they are rare. That American immigrant growth rate certainly fuels the potential fan base (which is why the league seeks to expand), but it does not logically support a larger pool of talent for American football.

Besides, kids born in 1995 would just now be coming into NFL ready age. At 53 men for 32 teams, there are 1696 NFL players on any given day. At 321M people in the country, that's .00000528 of the population in the league. Yes, if we ignore the 55M in growth as primarily Latin American immigrant growth and use the .00000528 figure, you do indeed have a number of 290 theoretically NFL quality young men read to come into the league. That does cover the 212 men needed for the additional four teams.

But, again, that 290 ignores the large and young Latin American population influence that doesn't play professional football. If you factor in about 43M foreign born in the US now, and 22M of them being Latin American, along with the high youth rate of Latin American immigrants, you can say 11M of the 55M are actually in the age group needed. 11M at .00000528 is 58, and takes the 290 number down to 232, dangerously close to the 212 needed in an era where the NBA is capturing the attention or more kids than ever. Keep in mind that 58 figure is also actually pretty soft and probably a bit higher.

I read somewhere once that any major league team in any sport, 2 very high quality players make the difference between contending and pretending. 2. That's it. Any level of dilution impacts the quality. And the fact is population growth doesn't sustain the number of players needed in a league that cycles players every 3.2 years (as that is the average career length now).

Can you tell I have had this conversation with others before!? :P

All that said, I do agree gimmick offenses also impact parity. It usually takes a season for the league to catch up to a gimmick, whereas the better designed new offensive schemes become part of the norm. Gimmicks, though, are used by teams struggling to do well in a traditional manner. I would suggest they struggle to do well in a traditional manner because they don't have the talent to do so, because the talent pool is diluted.

Edited by WorkingAllTheTime
  • Like 1

Yeah, I heard folks use population growth being on par with expansion rate as a justification for expansion and/or an argument the talent pool is not dilluted, but there's a fallacy in the second assumption.

The population growth in the time frame is actually much higher than 14%. It was around 266M in 1995 and is estimated around 321M today. That's an increase of 55M nearly 21% higher.

But here's the first fallacy. Our growth is not built on birth rates, but immigration, primarily from Latin America. American football is still largely American, whereas Latin American athletes are primarily drawn to soccer, baseball, and more recently basketball. Unlike MLB, NBA, and NHL rosters, NFL players are overwhelming American born. There are a handful of examples of first or second generation citizen Latin American players in the NFL today, but they are rare. That American immigrant growth rate certainly fuels the potential fan base (which is why the league seeks to expand), but it does not logically support a larger pool of talent for American football.

Besides, kids born in 1995 would just now be coming into NFL ready age. At 53 men for 32 teams, there are 1696 NFL players on any given day. At 321M people in the country, that's .00000528 of the population in the league. Yes, if we ignore the 55M in growth as primarily Latin American immigrant growth and use the .00000528 figure, you do indeed have a number of 290 theoretically NFL quality young men read to come into the league. That does cover the 212 men needed for the additional four teams.

But, again, that 290 ignores the large and young Latin American population influence that doesn't play professional football. If you factor in about 43M foreign born in the US now, and 22M of them being Latin American, along with the high youth rate of Latin American immigrants, you can say 11M of the 55M are actually in the age group needed. 11M at .00000528 is 58, and takes the 290 number down to 232, dangerously close to the 212 needed in an era where the NBA is capturing the attention or more kids than ever. Keep in mind that 58 figure is also actually pretty soft and probably a bit higher.

I read somewhere once that any major league team in any sport, 2 very high quality players make the difference between contending and pretending. 2. That's it. Any level of dilution impacts the quality. And the fact is population growth doesn't sustain the number of players needed in a league that cycles players every 3.2 years (as that is the average career length now).

Can you tell I have had this conversation with others before!? :P

All that said, I do agree gimmick offenses also impact parity. It usually takes a season for the league to catch up to a gimmick, whereas the better designed new offensive schemes become part of the norm. Gimmicks, though, are used by teams struggling to do well in a traditional manner. I would suggest they struggle to do well in a traditional manner because they don't have the talent to do so, because the talent pool is diluted.

Thoughtful post, and I have considered what you've said before I responded, from a somewhat different angle. I'll respond when I have adequate time, but I'm not convinced, though I do cede a couple of your points.

Is Mitchell still available? Maybe Miami can grab him before the big game against Ole Miss.

Is Mitchell still available? Maybe Miami can grab him before the big game against Ole Miss.

he ballooned up to 366 and dropped 124 lbs. I'm still pretty sure he's not in game shape.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/ex-qb-biggest-loser-tougher-playing-nfl-article-1.2070315

I'd hate to see what Dante Culpepper looks like today. He was has heavy as a DT when he last played for the Lions.

Patriot

GO CAM NEWTON!

After tonight this won't be possible.

fixed

There was one good game yesterday: Cardinals-Bengals. The rest... :zzz: I did get to watch my buddy, a die-hard Niners fan, yell at the tv for two hours. That was great entertainment! :joker:

There was one good game yesterday: Cardinals-Bengals. The rest... :zzz: I did get to watch my buddy, a die-hard Niners fan, yell at the tv for two hours. That was great entertainment! :joker:

Cardinals-Bengals was the best game of the year.

Packers / Vikings was pretty good :yes:

Patriot

GO CAM NEWTON!

After Thanksgiving this won't be possible.

You sure about that? The Panthers should win that game even though the Cowboys seem to ALWAYS show BIG TGD games. The edge goes to the Panthers due to their defense which is getting bettere and better.

Patriot

GO CAM NEWTON!

You sure about that? The Panthers should win that game even though the Cowboys seem to ALWAYS show BIG TGD games. The edge goes to the Panthers due to their defense which is getting bettere and better.

I know they have a very good defense. I heard a crazy stat today that the Panthers have 15 players who have gotten a sack. I'll argue that our defense improved the day Romo stepped onto the field. No more playing from behind. No more constant three and outs. No more losing the time of possession. We looked like last year's team last week. And I think that team is better than the Panthers. By a smidge.

Anyway. The Panthers are due for a loss.

Patriot

GO CAM NEWTON!

I know they have a very good defense. I heard a crazy stat today that the Panthers have 15 players who have gotten a sack. I'll argue that our defense improved the day Romo stepped onto the field. No more playing from behind. No more constant three and outs. No more losing the time of possession. We looked like last year's team last week. And I think that team is better than the Panthers. By a smidge.

Holy shit... you put way too much faith in Romo.

Patriot

GO CAM NEWTON!

As I should. We can beat anyone with him and can't beat anyone without him.

Patriot

GO CAM NEWTON!

He's a good, serviceable QB. No way is he "elite". He's "elite" like Flacco is "elite". I root for Romo, my cousin married a guy that played HS FB with him, but I'm just being honest.

If he brings some magic to the team, like they believe they can't lose with him, that's great to psych the team up. He's not an extraordinary QB.

Patriot

GO CAM NEWTON!

He's a good, serviceable QB. No way is he "elite". He's "elite" like Flacco is "elite". I root for Romo, my cousin married a guy that played HS FB with him, but I'm just being honest.

If he brings some magic to the team, like they believe they can't lose with him, that's great to psych the team up. He's not an extraordinary QB.

I think he's at an elite level now. He had a better QB rating than anyone in the leauge last year. Over the last few years, he's been the best QB in the 4th quarter. Those three back to back seasons of 8-8 were because of him. He ran for his life nearly every single play for several years. Those 8-8 season would have looked more like 4-12 seasons without him.