Top 5 bands RUSH fans should check out

New_World_Man

I like Black Sabbath but I don't think most Sabbath fans would like much by RUSH after 2112.

After moving pictures is where I would set the bar. Having said that sabbath is one of my favorite bands and I love most of the rush catalog.

Well, I guess that will teach me not to generalize. Seriously though I just can't imagine most metal heads liking Power Windows or much of the post MP stuff. I could be wrong maybe Sabbath fans listen to the Talking Heads and the Police too. Who knows.

I like Black Sabbath but I don't think most Sabbath fans would like much by RUSH after 2112.

After moving pictures is where I would set the bar. Having said that sabbath is one of my favorite bands and I love most of the rush catalog.

Well, I guess that will teach me not to generalize. Seriously though I just can't imagine most metal heads liking Power Windows or much of the post MP stuff. I could be wrong maybe Sabbath fans listen to the Talking Heads and the Police too. Who knows.

Most metal heads or most music fans?

Between the buried and me. Btbam are the kings of prog metal .

Muse. Killer power trio

Ozric tentacles- instrumental trippyness

I like older dream theater not crazy about newer stuff.

And i saw mentioned earlier spocks beard.

i love love love neal morse era beard. As good as prog gets.

And of course steely dan!

• Like 1

Seems like people are drawn to Rush for very different reasons, more so than most other bands. Generally I'm not in to Prog though there's stuff here and there I like, like early Yes and the more prog side of Floyd. Anyway, my attempt at an answer, making a recommendation to someone I knew nothing about, except that they like Rush, which at least probably means they value musicianship and composition over simple songs about babes, rebellion, and booze; though a tasteful smattering of power chords is welcome:

Pink Floyd

Yes

The Police

The Who

Queen

Edit: It would be interesting to poll TRF members on their five favorite bands that are not Rush. Give a point for each appearance. See which five bands end up with the most points.

Edited by Rutlefan

If you listen to bands like the Police and Talking Heads I think you get a better idea what inspired Rush to be the band they became. Bands like Yes and Jethro Tull sparked the fire, but the Police and Talking Heads fanned the flames.

Grace Under Pressure isn't a Police album?

I though that was an album by The Fixx; been wrong all these years :eh: .

• Like 1

Of newer bands Mastodon definitely. I love Prog esp the more escoteric brand of the genre, bands like Henry Cow, Hatfield/National Health and Peter Hammill/VDGG.

FOr the Prog Metal side of things I prefer Fates Warning.

I could always say Zappa. FZ did everything. People with open musical minds should really at some point try to enjoy some aspect of his output. He did Prog. He did jazz Fusion. He did satire. He did doo wop. He did kick ass rock music. He did classical. Sometimes he combined all that into one tune.

I understand the point of the thread but, over the years, I've noticed that we have disparate tastes in music and our interests happen to intersect at rush. I don't see many similarities with rush and the bands in op post. I see more similarities in bands like iron maiden, foo fighters, and older Metallica personally.

I agree. In fact, of that list, BOC is the only one I own any studio albums by. The "A Farewell to Kings is their best album" crowd is the one that seems to think Rush fans should love every prog band.

No, I think Hemispheres is their best album. ;)

I'm going to guess you don't own any albums by YES, Genesis, Pink Floyd, King Crimson or ELP either? Just wondering.

I own albums by Yes, Genesis and Pink Floyd. However, I think Yes' best album is 90125, I think Collins era Genesis is far better, and I think The Wall is Pink Floyd's best album.

• Like 1

I love Sabbath. I would consider The Police one of my favorite bands. And I love Talking Heads.

• Like 1

I understand the point of the thread but, over the years, I've noticed that we have disparate tastes in music and our interests happen to intersect at rush. I don't see many similarities with rush and the bands in op post. I see more similarities in bands like iron maiden, foo fighters, and older Metallica personally.

I agree. In fact, of that list, BOC is the only one I own any studio albums by. The "A Farewell to Kings is their best album" crowd is the one that seems to think Rush fans should love every prog band.

I'm going to guess you don't own any albums by YES, Genesis, Pink Floyd, King Crimson or ELP either? Just wondering.

I own albums by Yes, Genesis and Pink Floyd. However, I think Yes' best album is 90125, I think Collins era Genesis is far better, and I think The Wall is Pink Floyd's best album.

you'd probably like king crimson's 80s stuff. it's not too weird, sounds a lot like talking heads and the songs are pretty accessible. their material before that is what you would probably call "pretentious"

you'd probably like king crimson's 80s stuff. it's not too weird, sounds a lot like talking heads and the songs are pretty accessible. their material before that is what you would probably call "pretentious"

Red would like you to step outside and have a word with him.

as far as what rush fans should like, there's really nothing I can think of. rush are too diverse, for the most part. rush are more reliant on hooks and catchy songs than the old-school prog bands that inspired their 75-78 material, and frankly, groups like the flower kings and transatlantic strike me as not very progressive. "prog" but they're essential rewriting fragile and foxtrot over and over with each release. the reason rush played arenas all the way to the end of their career is because they kept getting into new bands and modifying their sound to stay relevant. I'm not putting down the flower kings or transatlantic, because the whole "70s prog throwback" thing is what their goal is and they do it well, but you get what I mean.

now, for a band like slayer or something, you can say, "oh, a slayer fan would dig this band, this band, and this band." and even with old-school prog, people who like the era of genesis that doesn't sound like rick astley, those folks will probably enjoy gentle giant, van der graaf generator, frank zappa, etc. but rush just have too many different sounds - you've got nuts who prefer their modern foo fighters-y stuff, you've got freaks who think presto's the best, you've got black sheep uncles who are still blaring the first album from their 1980 ford thunderbird. it's a pretty diverse group of fans.

• Like 1

Red would like you to step outside and have a word with him.

don't get me wrong, I think the stuff with bill bruford and john wetton is their best. I love king crimson. but I think a song like "starless" or "fracture" would put rick n backer to sleep.

and by the way, what I said about king crimson isn't a knock on RNB's taste. he just strikes me as more of a rock purist, and being able to sing along to something is probably more important to him than it is for me.
  • Like 1

So what are the top five bands that in your opinion RUSH fans should look into further. I'm talking about bands that have at least some similarities to at least some of RUSH's music. If you feel that listing five heavy metal bands is appropriate and that represents the taste of the average RUSH fan then fine. I don't share that opinion but I won't put restrictions on what others want to list. Here is my top five:

1. Kansas I honestly don't get why more RUSH fans don't seem to like this band. Maybe they weren't popular around the same time that most RUSH fans got into RUSH or are otherwise not exposed to them. I got into them late but I'm glad I did. They are a great band and I can't imagine many people who like early RUSH in particular not liking their earlier stuff. I will take this one to the grave. Seriously. They really need to be checked out not just by more RUSH fans but by more fans who claim they like prog. Start with "Leftoverture." The ones right before it are worthy also as is "Point of Know Return." However, they have a lot of good albums even some of the later ones.

2. Marillion I know there are some Marillion fans on here but I will mention them anyway. I actually think the Hogarth era is more appropriate for most RUSH fans. They earlier stuff is more stereotypical prog and often sounds a bit too influenced by early Genesis. It's good but they came really close to being transparent in their appreciation for PG era Genesis. So needless to say if you like Genesis and RUSH check them out but personally I prefer the later stuff that Steve Hogarth sang on.

3. Blue Oyster Cult Sorry too lazy to add the umlauts. Anyway they are another band that I really don't understand why more RUSH fans aren't into. Like Kansas, there are a lot of similarities imo. Not just because they are from the same era but because there is a sort of nerdy, cultish aspect that I think would appeal to RUSH fans. A good one to start with might be "Fire of Unknown Origin."

4. Spock's Beard I've seen this band about four times or so. I just think that RUSH fans might like them. Yes, they were prog but much of their stuff would appeal to many rock fans who might want to hear a modern take on classic melodic rock and or prog.

5. The Flower Kings Similar to Spock's Beard in that they are a modern prog band from the 90's. They put out some great music. I admit they are more similar to YES and GENESIS but I think the heavy edge they often had especially in their earlier work on something like "Back in the world of Adventures" would appeal to RUSH fans. I think more people in general need to hear this band especially prog fans.

Now it's time for others to post their top five bands they think RUSH fans would like and should check out.

Marillion and BOC!!! HELL YEAH!

I'm going with:

1. Marillion

2. Triumph

3. Primus

4. Genesis

5. GHOST

and by the way, what I said about king crimson isn't a knock on RNB's taste. he just strikes me as more of a rock purist, and being able to sing along to something is probably more important to him than it is for me.

A fair observation. I love La Villa Strangiato or YYZ as much as the next fan. But I wouldn't like a whole album of them.

A fair observation. I love La Villa Strangiato or YYZ as much as the next fan. But I wouldn't like a whole album of them.

Oooo...I would. Different strokes. :)

• Like 2

It's a shame that most of the disucssion here is about older bands. I could shoot off the same 5 or 7 bands as everyone else. ...

But who are the new guys? (Besides GHost) who are 2 or 3 albums in and have themselves a vibe as being great prog or prog metal?

Who is the future?

:cheers: Edited by goose
  • Like 1

It's a shame that most of the disucssion here is about older bands. I could shoot off the same 5 or 7 bands as everyone else. ...

But who are the new guys? (Besides GHost) who are 2 or 3 albums in and have themselves a vibe as being great prog or prog metal?

Who is the future?

There are a lot of recent or current prog bands. I kind of lost track a while ago but there are many and always new ones coming out. The best thing to do is check out a website called progarchives. I won't post the link because that is probably against site rules but it's easy to find. Off the top of myy head I can't think of any super recent prog bands. One band mentioned on here a bit is Riverside but there are many others. If we are talking just post seventies I could rattle off a bunch of names(a few(SB and TFK) were mentioned in my initial post.

Who is the future?

There are a lot of recent or current prog bands. I kind of lost track a while ago but there are many and always new ones coming out. The best thing to do is check out a website called progarchives. I won't post the link because that is probably against site rules but it's easy to find. Off the top of myy head I can't think of any super recent prog bands. One band mentioned on here a bit is Riverside but there are many others. If we are talking just post seventies I could rattle off a bunch of names(a few(SB and TFK) were mentioned in my initial post.

Link away. Thats not a problem. Progarchives is a great resource.

Not exactly new but i feel as i posted above that between the buried and me are the new kings of prog metal replacing dream theater.

Instrumentally i recommend animals as leaders and scale the summit.

Baroness or kylesa might be worth checking out too.