Top 5 bands RUSH fans should check out

New_World_Man

So what are the top five bands that in your opinion RUSH fans should look into further. I'm talking about bands that have at least some similarities to at least some of RUSH's music. If you feel that listing five heavy metal bands is appropriate and that represents the taste of the average RUSH fan then fine. I don't share that opinion but I won't put restrictions on what others want to list. Here is my top five:

1. Kansas I honestly don't get why more RUSH fans don't seem to like this band. Maybe they weren't popular around the same time that most RUSH fans got into RUSH or are otherwise not exposed to them. I got into them late but I'm glad I did. They are a great band and I can't imagine many people who like early RUSH in particular not liking their earlier stuff. I will take this one to the grave. Seriously. They really need to be checked out not just by more RUSH fans but by more fans who claim they like prog. Start with "Leftoverture." The ones right before it are worthy also as is "Point of Know Return." However, they have a lot of good albums even some of the later ones.

2. Marillion I know there are some Marillion fans on here but I will mention them anyway. I actually think the Hogarth era is more appropriate for most RUSH fans. They earlier stuff is more stereotypical prog and often sounds a bit too influenced by early Genesis. It's good but they came really close to being transparent in their appreciation for PG era Genesis. So needless to say if you like Genesis and RUSH check them out but personally I prefer the later stuff that Steve Hogarth sang on.

3. Blue Oyster Cult Sorry too lazy to add the umlauts. Anyway they are another band that I really don't understand why more RUSH fans aren't into. Like Kansas, there are a lot of similarities imo. Not just because they are from the same era but because there is a sort of nerdy, cultish aspect that I think would appeal to RUSH fans. A good one to start with might be "Fire of Unknown Origin."

4. Spock's Beard I've seen this band about four times or so. I just think that RUSH fans might like them. Yes, they were prog but much of their stuff would appeal to many rock fans who might want to hear a modern take on classic melodic rock and or prog.

5. The Flower Kings Similar to Spock's Beard in that they are a modern prog band from the 90's. They put out some great music. I admit they are more similar to YES and GENESIS but I think the heavy edge they often had especially in their earlier work on something like "Back in the world of Adventures" would appeal to RUSH fans. I think more people in general need to hear this band especially prog fans.

Now it's time for others to post their top five bands they think RUSH fans would like and should check out.

Edited by New_World_Man
  • Like 3

I kind of regret not mentioning Porcupine Tree but to be honest many if not most RUSH fans already seem to know about them. I guess it didn't hurt that Alex Lifeson guested on one of their albums.

I agree about Kings X. I actually saw them live about a year and half ago and they were really great.

I understand the point of the thread but, over the years, I've noticed that we have disparate tastes in music and our interests happen to intersect at rush. I don't see many similarities with rush and the bands in op post. I see more similarities in bands like iron maiden, foo fighters, and older Metallica personally.
  • Like 1

2. Marillion I know there are some Marillion fans on here but I will mention them anyway. I actually think the Hogarth era is more appropriate for most RUSH fans. They earlier stuff is more stereotypical prog and often sounds a bit too influenced by early Genesis. It's good but they came really close to being transparent in their appreciation for PG era Genesis. So needless to say if you like Genesis and RUSH check them out but personally I prefer the later stuff that Steve Hogarth sang on.

I listened to 'Misplaced Childhood' the other day for the first time and absolutely did not understand what makes them so revered. Not that it was bad, it just had none of that x-factor for me. To be fair, I wasn't crazy about Genesis in the beginning either...

If you listen to bands like the Police and Talking Heads I think you get a better idea what inspired Rush to be the band they became. Bands like Yes and Jethro Tull sparked the fire, but the Police and Talking Heads fanned the flames.
  • Like 3

I understand the point of the thread but, over the years, I've noticed that we have disparate tastes in music and our interests happen to intersect at rush. I don't see many similarities with rush and the bands in op post. I see more similarities in bands like iron maiden, foo fighters, and older Metallica personally.

Agree to disagree. ;)

But to be totally fair so far how many people have mentioned Marillion and Kansas and how many have mentioned Iron Maiden and Metallica? Those bands are too metal. Rush only hinted at metal a few times and that was before it became the metal it later evolved into. If you said Black Sabbath that would make more sense but imo Rush were never really a full fledged metal band. Neither were Led Zeppelin though. But regardless it's not a contest. If it makes you feel better it is quite possible that more people will say Metallica and Iron Maiden because those bands are more popular. However, I don't think what they were doing was coming from the same angle as what RUSH were doing.

As far as YES goes I think they are great and the only reason I didn't mention them is because I figured many RUSH fans already either know about them or like them.

Edited by New_World_Man

I see similarities with all bands mentioned so far, but I also see enough differences to make it understandable that they don't like them.

Magenta (welsh band, it exist two bands called Magenta, pick them from welsh!)

JR Flood (Neil´s old band before Rush!)

Black Sabbath (Ozzy only!)

King Crimson (all the albums up to and including Red I say is masterpieces.)

Marillion (I know that its been said before, but Marillion is awesome, thou I say only the Fish era is good! Albums after sucks....)

• Like 1

Agree to disagree. ;)

But to be totally fair so far how many people have mentioned Marillion and Kansas and how many have mentioned Iron Maiden and Metallica? Those bands are too metal. Rush only hinted at metal a few times and that was before it became the metal it later evolved into. If you said Black Sabbath that would make more sense but imo Rush were never really a full fledged metal band. Neither were Led Zeppelin though. But regardless it's not a contest. If it makes you feel better it is quite possible that more people will say Metallica and Iron Maiden because those bands are more popular. However, I don't think what they were doing was coming from the same angle as what RUSH were doing.

As far as YES goes I think they are great and the only reason I didn't mention them is because I figured many RUSH fans already either know about them or like them.

Metal has nothing to do with it. Interesting and varied lyric choices, lots of different riffs in same song, sudden changes in songs such as new riff, fast to slow, slow to fast, an attempt to practice at the top of their musical game, and more. Rush has no genre other than rush.

• Like 2

Agree to disagree. ;)

Metal has nothing to do with it. Interesting and varied lyric choices, lots of different riffs in same song, sudden changes in songs such as new riff, fast to slow, slow to fast, an attempt to practice at the top of their musical game, and more. Rush has no genre other than rush.

Fair enough but I think those things you mentioned apply to the prog bands as well including some of the ones I mentioned.

Big Wreck (think Rush + Foo Fighters + Soundgarden)

Porcupine Tree

Riverside (some would call them a Porcupine Tree clone, but I hear plenty of originality)

Queens of the Stone Age

Yes (I hear a ton of similarities, especially the use of musical "moments" where they stray off on tangents but somehow tie it all together... and the high pitched vocals)

If you listen to bands like the Police and Talking Heads I think you get a better idea what inspired Rush to be the band they became. Bands like Yes and Jethro Tull sparked the fire, but the Police and Talking Heads fanned the flames.

Grace Under Pressure isn't a Police album?

• Like 1

I agree. In fact, of that list, BOC is the only one I own any studio albums by. The "A Farewell to Kings is their best album" crowd is the one that seems to think Rush fans should love every prog band.

• Like 1

I agree. In fact, of that list, BOC is the only one I own any studio albums by. The "A Farewell to Kings is their best album" crowd is the one that seems to think Rush fans should love every prog band.

No, I think Hemispheres is their best album. ;)

I'm going to guess you don't own any albums by YES, Genesis, Pink Floyd, King Crimson or ELP either? Just wondering.

Edited by New_World_Man

What draws a person to Rush is completely unique and personal . . I can only speak for myself - esp considering that, as a huge fan of the band, I don't like any of the bands listed in the original post ... Esp Kansas, as I see nothing remotely similar

There are fans of Rush that love the debut, and fans that cannot stand it - same goes for something like Presto . .

Anyways, I'll list some specific albums:

- Janis Joplin "Pearl" .. Musical influences are commonly discussed in regards to Neil's drumming, and Alex and his love for Jimmy Page, etc ... but rarely is anything mentioned about Geddy and his voice .. I happen to love the early Rush, esp Geddy's voice on songs like Finding My Way and Garden Road

- Sigur Ros "Ágætis Byrjun" .. I'll toss this one out as I happen to love it .. Like some of Rush, it defies description, but I love the way it transports the listener, much like segments of Cygnus and Jacob's Ladder, but in a very different way ... Fans of Tangerine Dream might find interest too . . .

- Star Castle "Fountains Of Light" . . Much more Yes than Rush, but still, I like this album a lot, and I think other fans would find it enjoyably too

There are also the obvious choices like Van Der Graaf Generator and early Genesis, but I never got into them as the quirkiness and attitude just seemed too forced

I like Black Sabbath but I don't think most Sabbath fans would like much by RUSH after 2112.

After moving pictures is where I would set the bar. Having said that sabbath is one of my favorite bands and I love most of the rush catalog.