Top 5 bands RUSH fans should check out

New_World_Man

I've often said there's quite a few bands that are praised and i in no way think they deserve it. But Porcupine Tree Deserves every bit of praise they get.

Mick

..and Steven Wilson by extension. I feel his last two are up there with the best PT work and The Raven, in particular the best album he has ever produced.

Love Sky Moves, parts of Signify and Lightbulb/Stupid, but imo In absentia is his Moving Pictures.

• Like 2

Listening to Steven Wilson is like looking at him.

He's a school teacher on acid and he's asleep at his desk.

Time to do some mushrooms, steal a six pack from your neighbor's house and "RUN TO THE HILLS!"

Listen to some real f***ing music, not Steven Wilson!

UP THE IRONS!

MAIDEN RULES!

Edited by RUSHHEAD666

[1. Porcupine Tree - In Absentia - The Incident - This phase of Porcupine Tree to me represents the heaviest influence Rush had on Steve Wilson and his mates in PT. Songs are well crafted, layden with great lyrics, hooks and riffs. The Incident was the opus of prog for this band. An album with a singular story and concept. But seriously check out In Absentia, Deadwing and Fear of A Blank Planet and the EP Nil Recurring. Some of the very best rock/prog music ever IMO. Brilliance.

I can say with absolute certainty that those later PT albums are their most over rated. They are still good but I was already a big fan for a few years by the time most people jumped on the PT bandwagon so I'm not speaking from the point of view as a fairweather fan. Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun are their best albums(imo of course). In absentia is great too but it was all down hill after that. It seems the more popular they became the less interesting they became. Anyone who hasn't heard Lightbulb Sun, Stupid Dream and even Signify needs to check out those albums asap. Seriously.

I absolutely love those albums too. But I feel the Rush influence is far more prevalent in their later work. I adore Lightbulb Sun. Amazing album. Signify is also awesome. Stupid Dream has some incredible songs but is more spotty for me than all the rest we have discussed.

Overrated though? Hell freaking no. That run starting with In-Absentia is just more accessible and a progression to better song writing IMO. More melody, more direction, more concise. A band playing with absolute confidence in who they are. Also Gavin Harrison IMO add's a monster jolt of percussion excellence to the equation with his debut on In-Absentia.

But...it's all really really good.

I think they are over rated(and no that doesn't mean they are bad). Those albums made the charts while the ones I mentioned(and prefer) did not. I like In Absentia a lot but I think it went downhill for them after that. It was like they were deliberately trying to gain a larger audience by appealing to the metal crowd. A caculated risk that worked but it's not the bands true nature and SW has pretty much said so himself(indirectly).

Rush influence on In Absentia? I don't hear it. I remember my brother saying the the title track to Signify sounded like RUSH to him. I'm afraid that's the closest PT ever got to sounding like RUSH.

Anyway, I guess it's all moot now since the band are currently inactive and have no definite plans of getting back together. They haven't officially broken up but it's not a priority for Steven Wilson right now.

I think RUSH fans should check out these other Canadian musical acts listed below that influenced the band from interviews read or viewed from Geddy, Alex, and Neil.

http://jam.canoe.com...pedia/F/FM.html

http://jam.canoe.com...ton_Market.html

http://jam.canoe.com.../M/Mandala.html

http://jam.canoe.com.../P/Paupers.html

http://jam.canoe.com..._Ducklings.html

Even though these acts put out two to three albums, it's cool to hear other lesser known Canadian bands besides the obvious.

I mention FM because even though they opened for RUSH in the late 70's and early to mid 80's - their four albums 'Black Noise', 'Headroom: Direct To Disc', 'Surveillance' and 'City Of Fear' were a musical influence on 'Permanent Waves', 'Moving Pictures' and 'Signals'.

Edited by RushFanForever

[1. Porcupine Tree - In Absentia - The Incident - This phase of Porcupine Tree to me represents the heaviest influence Rush had on Steve Wilson and his mates in PT. Songs are well crafted, layden with great lyrics, hooks and riffs. The Incident was the opus of prog for this band. An album with a singular story and concept. But seriously check out In Absentia, Deadwing and Fear of A Blank Planet and the EP Nil Recurring. Some of the very best rock/prog music ever IMO. Brilliance.

I can say with absolute certainty that those later PT albums are their most over rated. They are still good but I was already a big fan for a few years by the time most people jumped on the PT bandwagon so I'm not speaking from the point of view as a fairweather fan. Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun are their best albums(imo of course). In absentia is great too but it was all down hill after that. It seems the more popular they became the less interesting they became. Anyone who hasn't heard Lightbulb Sun, Stupid Dream and even Signify needs to check out those albums asap. Seriously.

I absolutely love those albums too. But I feel the Rush influence is far more prevalent in their later work. I adore Lightbulb Sun. Amazing album. Signify is also awesome. Stupid Dream has some incredible songs but is more spotty for me than all the rest we have discussed.

Overrated though? Hell freaking no. That run starting with In-Absentia is just more accessible and a progression to better song writing IMO. More melody, more direction, more concise. A band playing with absolute confidence in who they are. Also Gavin Harrison IMO add's a monster jolt of percussion excellence to the equation with his debut on In-Absentia.

But...it's all really really good.

I think they are over rated(and no that doesn't mean they are bad). Those albums made the charts while the ones I mentioned(and prefer) did not. I like In Absentia a lot but I think it went downhill for them after that. It was like they were deliberately trying to gain a larger audience by appealing to the metal crowd. A caculated risk that worked but it's not the bands true nature and SW has pretty much said so himself(indirectly).

Rush influence on In Absentia? I don't hear it. I remember my brother saying the the title track to Signify sounded like RUSH to him. I'm afraid that's the closest PT ever got to sounding like RUSH.

Anyway, I guess it's all moot now since the band are currently inactive and have no definite plans of getting back together. They haven't officially broken up but it's not a priority for Steven Wilson right now.

LOL listen to Wedding Nails again. Rush riffage influence all over the place. For me it's not a sound influence. It's more of a riff and song structure and dynamic influence.