• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#61 mrfriendly

mrfriendly

The Seeker

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 04:01 PM

What are your guys' favourite tours production wise, i know, i know we all go in for the music absolutely but I always loved the additional element of their live show which makes the experience even better I think. I'm watching the time machine blu ray now and even though that first set is really strange and the fact they decided to play this exact same set for 80+ shows straight is a little mind boggling. But the whole light show, pyro and visuals for this tour may be the best for any tour. Even compared to R40. No doubt the first set has some lacklustre choices, mainly Workin Them Angels? It kind of felt like each tour they were doing the production got bigger and bigger. On Clockwork can't really tell that well since the blu ray visuals weren't shot great. But I would say that TMT and R40 had the best live production. No doubt R40 had everything both setlist and visuals to clearly make the best set in years.

Sponsored Post

#62 Grover

Grover

The Seeker

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 10:53 PM

I've seen every tour since Moving Pictures. I was disappointed at the Grace Under Pressure show because the show was only an hour and 45 minutes long and they opened the exact same way as the previous tour but played little of my favourite 70s songs. But oddly enough I love the video from that tour shot at the show that had disappointed me live.

The Hold Your Fire show made me happy because the show was back over 2 hours and they brought back LaVilla but the show had a tired unenthusiastic feeling to it. I didn't like the guitar sound on La Villa and Alex didn't bother to use the pedal.

If they had replaced the covers on the R30 tour with almost any if their own songs that tour would rank as first or second to me.

I really enjoyed the Snakes & Arrows tour but would have dropped Armour & Sword and Spindrift for something else.

#63 Digital Dad

Digital Dad

The Dad Abides

• Members
  • 10260 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 11:02 PM

View PostGrover, on 29 November 2015 - 10:53 PM, said:

I've seen every tour since Moving Pictures. I was disappointed at the Grace Under Pressure show because the show was only an hour and 45 minutes long and they opened the exact same way as the previous tour but played little of my favourite 70s songs. But oddly enough I love the video from that tour shot at the show that had disappointed me live.

The Hold Your Fire show made me happy because the show was back over 2 hours and they brought back LaVilla but the show had a tired unenthusiastic feeling to it. I didn't like the guitar sound on La Villa and Alex didn't bother to use the pedal.

If they had replaced the covers on the R30 tour with almost any if their own songs that tour would rank as first or second to me.

I really enjoyed the Snakes & Arrows tour but would have dropped Armour & Sword and Spindrift for something else.

Those are both highlights of that album imo and its a shame neither have been played since that tour.

#64 mrfriendly

mrfriendly

The Seeker

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 06:49 AM

yeah both songs are pretty strong for what has started to become my least favourite rush album. far cry, way wind blows and especially working them angels are tedious to go through now, which is surprising for me to say as i love the band and am not a very inpatient person when comes to even their lesser appreciated work.

#65 Jaminbenb

Jaminbenb

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2874 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 04:33 PM

View PostDigital Dad, on 29 November 2015 - 11:02 PM, said:

Those are both highlights of that album imo and its a shame neither have been played since that tour.

View Postmrfriendly, on 30 November 2015 - 06:49 AM, said:

yeah both songs are pretty strong for what has started to become my least favourite rush album. far cry, way wind blows and especially working them angels are tedious to go through now, which is surprising for me to say as i love the band and am not a very inpatient person when comes to even their lesser appreciated work.

Yeah, those were two of the better live version from that album....

#66 fraroc

fraroc

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2464 posts
  • Interests:Rock music, roller coasters, aviation, writing novels,

Posted 01 December 2015 - 04:49 PM

I have the opposite opinion. Alex's guitar tone on the Lerxst In Wonderland part of La Villa on ASOH had a very ethereal tone to it.

#67 Del_Duio

Del_Duio

The Professor

• Members
  • 4378 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Bass, Drums, some guitar but I suck

--

Try my new retro action RPG game "Just a Cleric" on Steam! http://store.steampowered.com/app/467330/

Posted 04 December 2015 - 11:35 AM

View Postfraroc, on 14 November 2015 - 03:34 PM, said:

We all have our favorite tours, our favorite setlists for whatever reason....But what setlists just don't do it for you?

In my honest opinion the setlists for the Presto, Roll The Bones, and Counterparts tours all suffered from the same issue. Cutting hits in favor of new songs. For the Presto tour, The Spirit Of Radio was literally cut from the setlist for first 24-25 dates of the tour. Yes I know, they put it back in the setlist not even a quarter into the tour, but it still bothers me. TSOR was their first REALLY big radio-friendly hit and that song in conjunction with Tom Sawyer immortalized Rush in the mainstream music industry.

Roll The Bones tour completely cut Subdivisions out of the setlist towards the end of the tour and Counterparts and the second leg of the Test For Echo tour had no Subdivisions AT ALL. Now I know, Subdivisions is a hit but not a Tom Sawyer hit, but they really should have found a way to keep it in.

Vapor Trails, R30, S&A, Time Machine, CA, and R40 really fixed this problem by keeping the main hits (Tom Sawyer, The Spirit of Radio, Subdivisions), save for a few like Limelight and CTTH, but we can't win it all.

Counterparts tour wasn't bad due to Hemispheres being in there alone.

#68 Jaminbenb

Jaminbenb

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2874 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 03:20 PM

View PostDel_Duio, on 04 December 2015 - 11:35 AM, said:

We all have our favorite tours, our favorite setlists for whatever reason....But what setlists just don't do it for you?

In my honest opinion the setlists for the Presto, Roll The Bones, and Counterparts tours all suffered from the same issue. Cutting hits in favor of new songs. For the Presto tour, The Spirit Of Radio was literally cut from the setlist for first 24-25 dates of the tour. Yes I know, they put it back in the setlist not even a quarter into the tour, but it still bothers me. TSOR was their first REALLY big radio-friendly hit and that song in conjunction with Tom Sawyer immortalized Rush in the mainstream music industry.

Roll The Bones tour completely cut Subdivisions out of the setlist towards the end of the tour and Counterparts and the second leg of the Test For Echo tour had no Subdivisions AT ALL. Now I know, Subdivisions is a hit but not a Tom Sawyer hit, but they really should have found a way to keep it in.

Vapor Trails, R30, S&A, Time Machine, CA, and R40 really fixed this problem by keeping the main hits (Tom Sawyer, The Spirit of Radio, Subdivisions), save for a few like Limelight and CTTH, but we can't win it all.

Yeah, and I was totally bummed because I wasn't able to get to any of the local-ish dates on that tour!  When I heard they were slipping some Hemispheres in, I was really peeved!

#69 Del_Duio

Del_Duio

The Professor

• Members
  • 4378 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Bass, Drums, some guitar but I suck

--

Try my new retro action RPG game "Just a Cleric" on Steam! http://store.steampowered.com/app/467330/

Posted 05 December 2015 - 09:13 AM

View PostJaminbenb, on 04 December 2015 - 03:20 PM, said:

View PostDel_Duio, on 04 December 2015 - 11:35 AM, said:

Yeah, and I was totally bummed because I wasn't able to get to any of the local-ish dates on that tour!  When I heard they were slipping some Hemispheres in, I was really peeved!

That was actually the first time I ever even heard Hemispheres, live at that concert in CT back in 1994. I wasn't all the way through their catalog at that point and didn't realize the gravity of how awesome that experience really was!

#70 cygnify

cygnify

Superconductor

• Members *
  • 1412 posts
  • Interests:Drums, Astronomy, Family (not necessarily in that order)

Posted 05 December 2015 - 12:19 PM

Just looking purely at setlists first, I'll divide my picks into discrete categories:

Setlist from before I saw them (pre 1984):
Favorite: Permanent Waves (Still had all of Hemispheres & Cygnus and added Jacobs and Natty Sci)
Least Favorite: Rush tour (Just because it had the fewest song choices and was short set.)

Setlist from Keyboard-era, after I'd first seen them (1984-1988)
Favorite: P/G (all of fear! Good Vital Signs, though all of these tours were thin on pre-MP material)
Least Favorite: HYF (no real effort at Pre-MP material.  Had La Villa though - traded for The Trees from PoW tour.  Overall weak)

Setlist from 90's (Presto - TFE)
Favorite: TFE (evening with was necessary!  Finally some homage to their full career! 2112, Natty Sci, plus lots of cool newer stuff.)
Least Fav: tie Presto & Rtb (the shortened Xanadu to go into Superconductor was perhaps the biggest buzzkill in setlist history.  At least the Rtb Summer tour brought back a little bit with Analog Kid, Trees, and Vital Signs! War Paint instead of title cut clinches it for Presto)

Setlists since 2002
Favorite: R40 (Xanadu, Jacobs, Natty Sci, 2112, What you're doing, Anthem, Lakeside, and some interesting choices in newer eras.  It just flowed right and won me over.)
Runner up: S&A 07 tour (Entre Nous, Circumstances, Witchhunt, Analog, Bangkok - all interesting choices that balanced the new song heavy set.)
Second Runner up: CA (Some great stuff from PoW Grand Designs, Middletown, enjoyed everything with strings)
Least Favorite: Time Machine (I'll always think that R40 is what TM should have been.  Even with all of MP, some really blase choices.  Only a couple very obvious choices from before PeW.)
Runner up for Least fav: R30 (some cool stuff, but didn't care for so much Feedback covers, and acoustic Resist again?  The R30 Overture medley was neat, but overall a weak attempt to represent all those albums.)

Sound-wise:
Favorites: PeW, MP
Least Favorites: HYF, Presto (I though Alex's guitars sounded like ass, and the "surround" keyboard effects were never mixed well)
Least Favorite drum-sound, in this drummer's opinion: everything since Neil went to DW.  Only downside to the cool "El Darko" kit was the concert tom sound was terrible and a shadow of the awesomeness that it once was - recall the ripping attack of concert tom runs on the P/G tour!  Comparatively, El Darko sounded like ass.  Also, least favorite drum sound in a song - Red Sector A on the V drums on VT tour.  I have V drums at home, but they were terrible for RSA (especially constant velocity high hat.)

Production- wise (84 and after):
Favorite: R40.  They just got the stage show right.  Lights/lasers/pyro were all excellent.  Video presentations were excellent.  Moving back in time gear  and stage props were cool.
Least Favorite: Presto (just didn't care for the stage set, the videos, etc.  Scars was an interesting idea, with the curtain in front, but it never really worked for me.  Bunny balloons were cheesy. I was happy when it was shot on later tour..)

Personal nostalgia wise:
Favorites: TFE (first tour I experienced the build up in an online community, opening night in my hometown, saw 11 shows), P/G (first tour I saw), HYF (First time I saw multiple shows, including a front row), CA (great trips with friends), R40 (last time?)
Least Favorites: Presto (blah period of my life, to go with a blah tour)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users