• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#41 Jomboni

Jomboni

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 06:16 PM

I'll just go with the ones I saw, which is Vapor Trails on.  Here they are, from worst to first!

Time Machine:
It wasn't as horrible as edhunter said, but the first set was pretty weak, and the whole show did seem pretty "phoned in" from a band that in my eyes doesn't normally do that.  Geddy was sounding pretty rough on this tour.  One thing that always struck me as odd was, shortly after they started playing on opening night, they put the official setlist up on their website.  I don't think they've done that before or since.  It was almost like they were saying "Yep, this is the set, get used to it guys"

Snakes & Arrows
The setlist is better than Time Machine, even with me not being a fan of S&A the album.  They dug out a lot of rarely or never played songs.  Entre Nous, Digital Man, Bangkok, Circumstances.  But the tempos on a lot of the songs drrrrrrrrragged, and this was the first tour where I could really hear Geddy struggle on some of the songs.

R30
This and the Vapor Trails tour had fairly similar setlists and the performances were pretty strong across the board.  I go back and forth but ultimately I think I give VT a slight edge.  Anyway, R30 was still a great show - my only complaints being the cover songs, and no setlist changes.  MAYBE they could have snuck in a few more "deep cuts" but overall a good selection.

Vapor Trails
This is the first time I saw them, after getting into them during a period where I wasn't even sure if I would ever even get the chance to see them.  So I obviously have some sentimental attachment to this tour.  But still a great tour!  I like Vapor Trails so I won't even complain about the new songs.  Just like R30 everybody played great, Geddy was in fine form, etc.  This was definitely the closest thing to a "greatest hits" set they've done (even moreso than R30), but all the hits were great, and for somebody like me who had never seen them before, it was all new to me, you know?  You can't get tired of them playing Tom Sawyer when it's your first time seeing them play it :)

Clockwork Angels Tour
In my opinion, the album is Rush's late-era masterpiece, and I was fully expecting them to play the entire album as one of the 2 sets on this tour.  They obviously didn't play the whole thing, but 9 of 12 songs is close enough.  The string section sounded great on the CA songs and gave a new twist on a few older songs.  The first set was a huge treat for me to, with them basically pulling out every synth-era song that I still wanted to see live.

R40
On the CA tour they brought out all the old '80s songs I'd never seen live, R40 brought the rest.  By far the single best concert I've been to.  The amount of time and energy they had to spend to re-learn these old songs as opposed to doing another R30 type of set is astounding, and it showed in their performances.  This was 100% a tour for the die-hard fans.  I think the general opinion on this board is that this tour was amazing and the only thing I have to add is that I loved both sets (but the 2nd was obviously better!)  My only cricitism is that I would have gotten tickets to more shows if I would have known it was going to be this good.

Sponsored Post

#42 Digital Dad

Digital Dad

The Dad Abides

• Members
  • 10259 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 06:41 PM

View Postbluefox4000, on 15 November 2015 - 02:00 PM, said:

View PostDigital Dad, on 15 November 2015 - 01:56 PM, said:

View Postbluefox4000, on 15 November 2015 - 01:48 PM, said:

View Postytserush, on 15 November 2015 - 01:41 PM, said:

Discounting the first too tours for lack of material, I'm going to say R30 and the Presto tour.

Presto seems to be the mid-life crisis tour. Went to four shows during that tour and the performances I saw myself and on video weren't very inspiring to me.

The bunnies were great and so were the songs from Presto, but the rest of it was uninspiring.  They completely emerged from that funk on the Euro-leg of the Roll The Bones Tour and it's been stellar ever since save for the R30 hiccup.

Presto was a weak tour.  I will NEVER forgive them for Xana-conductor.

Mick

That was on the RTB tour.

i know i always confuse those, lol.

i just looked it up.........either way.........SIN.

Mick

/friend

;)

#43 bordercollie

bordercollie

Prime Mover

• Members *
  • 651 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 06:44 PM

I've only seen TFE onward.

Of tours I've seen, I'd say VT ranks as least-best.

Of all the others, I'd say p/g is the worst because it was such a short set, Limelight already omitted on its 3rd tour, nothing from Hemispheres, one from PeW, not even ten minutes devoted to 70s-released albums overall so closely removed from that decade.

#44 Todem

Todem

Brosaucerous

• Members
  • 2219 posts
  • Interests:Playing guitar, writing,recording and performing music, coaching and playing baseball, golf, tennis, stocks, playing video games, spending as much time as I can with my wife and son.

Posted 18 November 2015 - 03:12 PM

View Postbluefox4000, on 15 November 2015 - 01:48 PM, said:

Discounting the first too tours for lack of material, I'm going to say R30 and the Presto tour.

Presto seems to be the mid-life crisis tour. Went to four shows during that tour and the performances I saw myself and on video weren't very inspiring to me.

The bunnies were great and so were the songs from Presto, but the rest of it was uninspiring.  They completely emerged from that funk on the Euro-leg of the Roll The Bones Tour and it's been stellar ever since save for the R30 hiccup.

Presto was a weak tour.  I will NEVER forgive them for Xana-conductor.

Mick

I have been to every tour starting with Signals. I was only let down by one tour and it was Presto and it was not even close. Set-list was ok...the performance was a really off night for the band. And Xana-conductor was an abortion. I was in utter disbelief when they went into that crappola tune out of the epic Xanadu.

Weak.

Other than that I seriously have loved every show I have attended and every tour. Especially the last 2 tours (as well as Snake and Arrows both 07/08) which IMO were for the longtime hardcore die-hards like myself.

Damn f***ing straight.

Edited by Todem, 18 November 2015 - 03:13 PM.

#45 rocket ignites

rocket ignites

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 5533 posts
  • Interests:Poker. Minnesota Vikings/Twins/T-Wolves. Being a glass half-full advocate for post 1982 Rush.

Posted 18 November 2015 - 07:20 PM

I only witnessed S&A in 07/08, but I'd give up my left...(ok, maybe not go that far) to go back and see any past tour's setlist.   I like plenty of the new material as much as the old.

#46 edhunter

edhunter

Rushaholic

• Members *
  • 1719 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 07:27 PM

Going back to Power Windows

I'd rank them...

R40

CA

Snakes '07, not '08.

Test For Echo

Vapor Trails

R30

Counterparts

RTB

Presto

Power Windows

Hold Your Fire

Time Machine

#47 fraroc

fraroc

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2457 posts
  • Interests:Rock music, roller coasters, aviation, writing novels,

Posted 18 November 2015 - 07:33 PM

View Postbordercollie, on 15 November 2015 - 06:44 PM, said:

Of all the others, I'd say p/g is the worst because it was such a short set, Limelight already omitted on its 3rd tour, nothing from Hemispheres, one from PeW, not even ten minutes devoted to 70s-released albums overall so closely removed from that decade.

GUP tour gave us the best Witch Hunt, can't deny that.

#48 Bigbobby10

Bigbobby10

Solar Federalist

• Members *
  • 2876 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 08:08 PM

View Postfraroc, on 18 November 2015 - 07:33 PM, said:

I never liked Witch Hunt, but I LOVE the GUP version of it

#49 bordercollie

bordercollie

Prime Mover

• Members *
  • 651 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 08:10 PM

Definitely!

#50 Anthemic

Anthemic

Prime Mover

• Members *
  • 742 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 09:48 PM

View PostMagicSpree101, on 18 November 2015 - 08:08 PM, said:

I never liked Witch Hunt, but I LOVE the GUP version of it

same here, only version of that song i can stand!

#51 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 53725 posts
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 19 November 2015 - 01:13 AM

View Postfraroc, on 15 November 2015 - 12:49 PM, said:

View Postgoose, on 15 November 2015 - 12:39 AM, said:

Clockwork Angels.  I skipped that tour because of a boring setlist, actually.

Let me guess, not a fan of the synth era?
Actually, yes, from an album standpoint.  Live, especially in these later years, they are just a concert buzzkill.  The songs are relatively unknown, then they down-tempo them to the point of :zzz: .

One or two peppered in a set are great...but CA was just too much.

#52 Jomboni

Jomboni

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 09:17 AM

tempos on all the synth songs on the CA tour were pretty much on point with teh albums, i think

#53 AnEggplant

AnEggplant

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1634 posts
  • Interests:Coming up with things to put in my "interests" box.

Posted 19 November 2015 - 10:22 AM

I've only seen the Time Machine Tour, Clockwork Angels Tour, and R40. Out of those, the Time Machine tour was my least favorite, but it was still freaking awesome!!

#54 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

I never talk to strangers

• Members
  • 15749 posts
  • Interests:Music, Reading, Talking

Posted 19 November 2015 - 10:43 AM

View PostAnEggplant, on 19 November 2015 - 10:22 AM, said:

I've only seen the Time Machine Tour, Clockwork Angels Tour, and R40. Out of those, the Time Machine tour was my least favorite, but it was still freaking awesome!!

I saw TM........and the crowd was pretty dead during that awful first set run of Stick it Out to Faithless.  one of the WORST run of songs Rush has strung together.

Mick

#55 Drummerrobin

Drummerrobin

The Seeker

• Members
  • 346 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 02:20 PM

Out of the tours since Vapor Trails, I'd rank them in this order setlist-wise:

6. Time Machine Tour - Overall strong 2nd set with whole of Moving Pictures but slightly lacklustre 1st set due to the song choices from Stick It Out to Faithless. Also felt Far Cry wasn't a great choice for main set closer and that the silly intros detracted from the encores.

5. R30 Tour - Nice to see such a wide variety of songs from different eras but I feel the setlist recycled too much from the Vapor Trails tour and none of the songs brought back from before were particularly surprising, with the exception of Between the Wheels. The show also had too many cover songs, making for a disappointing encore.

4. Snakes & Arrows Tour - Overall, I like the setlists from this tour a lot as they had some interesting choices bringing back a lot of quite rare material. I'd say maybe the album showcase in the 2nd set dragged a bit with a lot of slower songs in a row. Also for me, the end of the main 2nd second set doesn't quite climax as much as some of the others.

3. R40 Tour - I think the 1st sets were generally a bit weak song choice-wise on this tour - too predictable for me. But that was more than made up for by the show's killer 2nd half which delivers on every level! Also, the whole chronologically backwards element to the show I thought was very cool and something I think other bands should have a go at.

2. Clockwork Angels Tour - Really love this setlist. Loads of great 80s songs brought out of the vault that contrast very nicely with the heaviness of the Clockwork Angels material. My only criticism is that maybe there were better opening song choices than Subdivisions, which I think lacks the punch slightly. Swap Subdivisions and The Big Money round and it would be perfect for me.

1. Vapor Trails Tour - Don't think I can fault this one! It flows flawlessly, has a great range of songs from different eras and just feels really cohesive, like it was thought through really thoroughly. Great stuff all round.

#56 Disk98

Disk98

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3908 posts
  • Interests:New York Yankees
     electronics
    bass guitar
    piano

Posted 19 November 2015 - 06:11 PM

Of the three I've seen, I'm not entirely sure.  Time Machine and Clockwork Angels pale in comparison to the majestic R40 setlist.

Tentatively, I'm going to say Clockwork Angels because there was no Limelight or Freewil, and a couple weak '80s songs (I'm looking at you, Territories) lost me a little bit.  It was a really good setlist—it had almost all of CA—but Time Machine had all of Moving Pictures, and I think we can all agree that R40 kicked serious a**.  So, by process of elimination…sorry, Clockwork Angels Tour.  I still love you, though!

#57 ytserush

ytserush

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3885 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 07:17 PM

View PostDigital Dad, on 15 November 2015 - 01:43 PM, said:

What's wrong with R30???

Weaker set than the rest of the no opening act shows for starters.  Not a fan of the R30 medley to kick things off. The Spirit Of Radio should have been the opener if it was that early in the set.

Things really didn't start humming until Animate.in the first set and Secret Touch in the second set.
Worst encore ever.

Even R40 was better. Except for Heart Full Of Soul, they played NONE of my favorite Feedback tracks which was pretty much the rest of the album.

That said, the arrangements of Subdivisions, Earthshine and Red Barchetta were awesome as were Secret Touch, Between The Wheels and Mystic Rhythms. The arrangement of Red Sector A and The Trees (Beatles!) were equally good.  That Darn Dragon was also one of the better shorts I thought.

Fortunately, R30 was book-ended by some pretty sweet sets.

#58 zappafrank

zappafrank

The Seeker

• Members
  • 361 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 02:37 PM

During the CA tour, you'd swear Set 1 of the show would be everyone's answer.  It was ridiculous how much hate the 80's heavy set got to the point of being comical.

And that part of the show was one of my favorites ever.

Edited by zappafrank, 22 November 2015 - 02:42 PM.

#59 fraroc

fraroc

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2457 posts
  • Interests:Rock music, roller coasters, aviation, writing novels,

Posted 23 November 2015 - 12:40 PM

View Postzappafrank, on 22 November 2015 - 02:37 PM, said:

During the CA tour, you'd swear Set 1 of the show would be everyone's answer.  It was ridiculous how much hate the 80's heavy set got to the point of being comical.

And that part of the show was one of my favorites ever.

It seems like a lot of people on this forum are okay with people loving Signals and GUP.....

BUT DON'T YOU DARE ENJOY POWER WINDOWS AND HOLD YOUR FIRE.

#60 Jaminbenb

Jaminbenb

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2874 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 02:36 PM

I've seen every tour since T4E and of the set lists after Vapor Trails, I'd have to take the Snakes and Arrows tour as my favorite because of some of what they brought back that tour (Natural Science, Entre Nous and Circumstances)  AND I liked how the S&A tunes came across live!

Vapor Trails ran a close second again because of some of the older stuff they pulled off. (Encore set was top notch, the acoustic set, La Villa)

I loved the concept of the R40 tour!  Granted...you aren't going to please everyone with the song selections, and I really thought that EVERY album original album should have been represented by at least one song, but what can you do.  The first set was pretty decent, and the second set had some amazing choices...

Time Machine was interesting because they did the whole Moving Pictures album, but cut some of the better Snakes and Arrows tunes and brought back Time Stand Still (ugh!)

The R30 set had some nice stuff, but lacked because of the cover tunes...I thought that really detracted from an otherwise decent set list.

I only liked the Clockwork Angels tour because they did a good majority of the album, and had the string ensemble backing them up, not to mention pulling some of the stuff out that they recorded previously using strings...but was disappointed that they DIDN'T pull out Losing it on that tour.... The mid 80's stuff was ok to be re-hashed...but not my favorite stuff.

So with those thoughts... I'd have to say that it's a toss up between R30 and Clockwork Angels for my LEAST favorite setlist!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users