Come Back Narps!!!

Lorraine

Back to the subject at hand...

...I hope all is well with our Rush brother and great happiness has found its way to his and his family's lives.

I think I'll go play "All the World's a Stage".

:)

I'm too lazy to get my thumb drive out else I'd listen along with you.

• Like 1

Back to the subject at hand...

...I hope all is well with our Rush brother and great happiness has found its way to his and his family's lives.

I think I'll go play "All the World's a Stage".

:)

I'm too lazy to get my thumb drive out else I'd listen along with you.

Somewhere a bald Narps weeps.

WCM, here's how I call them:

Favorite

Permanent Waves

Moving Pictures (but PeW and MP are so close this could easily be reversed)

Signals

Hemispheres

Clockwork Angels

Grace Under Pressure

Snakes and Arrows

A Farewell to Kings

Fly By Night

Rush

Vapor Trails

Power Windows

Caress of Steel

Counterparts

Roll the Bones

Test for Echo

Presto

Hold your Fire (Like the albums at the very top of the list are immovable, this one is always at the bottom. It effectively ended my love for the band for a very long time)

Least favorite

After, say CoS, they sort of blend together until they hit rock bottom.

That;s interesting that you had such a bad experience with HYF.

Hold Your Fire came out in the eighties while I was heavily involved with alternative rock bands like INXS, Oingo Boingo and The Sparks among others. I remember buying the album and I didn't listen to it for a few days which wasn't like me and Rush albums. So when I finally did listen to it, I wasn't really expecting that I would really like it because I wasn't as excited about Rush at the time. But, because I've always thought of Rush as an acquired taste for the most part, I forced myself to listen to it until I liked it. And eventually it worked. I listen to it now and I really like it.

I think that from Signals to Presto the band had a sound that I call eighties Rush with a lot of keyboard and melodic progressive sound. RTB and Counterparts sort of had a different sound that transitioned into Test for Echo which had a lot more of a hard rock sound that became more prevalent with VT and the following albums.

Anyway, that's how I see it. I actually like all the different sounds that Rush has had over the years so I don't really hate any one of them. I like CA the least probably for no other reason than because it's the newest. But that wasn't the case with Snakes and Arrows. I instantly loved that one.

ETA; The more I think about it, I think I would move Test for Echo up a few notches.

Signals is, to me, more like Moving Pictures than Grace Under Pressure. The synths didn't yet overpower the songs. GUP was the first album that I bought and was disappointed by initially. I've grown to like it a lot. But I don't love it. After that I think they got worse.

Agreed 98%, different not worse.

Worse, much worse. Within two albums I took a 25 year hiatus.

• Like 2

Favorite

Permanent Waves

Signals

Hemispheres

Clockwork Angels

Grace Under Pressure

Snakes and Arrows

A Farewell to Kings

Fly By Night

Rush

Vapor Trails

Power Windows

Caress of Steel

Counterparts

Roll the Bones

Test for Echo

Presto

Hold your Fire (Like the albums at the very top of the list are immovable, this one is always at the bottom. It effectively ended my love for the band for a very long time)

Least favorite

Hold Your Fire came out in the eighties while I was heavily involved with alternative rock bands like INXS, Oingo Boingo and The Sparks among others. I remember buying the album and I didn't listen to it for a few days which wasn't like me and Rush albums. So when I finally did listen to it, I wasn't really expecting that I would really like it because I wasn't as excited about Rush at the time. But, because I've always thought of Rush as an acquired taste for the most part, I forced myself to listen to it until I liked it. And eventually it worked. I listen to it now and I really like it.

I think that from Signals to Presto the band had a sound that I call eighties Rush with a lot of keyboard and melodic progressive sound. RTB and Counterparts sort of had a different sound that transitioned into Test for Echo which had a lot more of a hard rock sound that became more prevalent with VT and the following albums.

Anyway, that's how I see it. I actually like all the different sounds that Rush has had over the years so I don't really hate any one of them. I like CA the least probably for no other reason than because it's the newest. But that wasn't the case with Snakes and Arrows. I instantly loved that one.

ETA; The more I think about it, I think I would move Test for Echo up a few notches.

Signals is, to me, more like Moving Pictures than Grace Under Pressure. The synths didn't yet overpower the songs. GUP was the first album that I bought and was disappointed by initially. I've grown to like it a lot. But I don't love it. After that I think they got worse.

For me it was the opposite with those two albums.(GUP and Signals) The first time I heard Subdivisions I was thinking "What the heck! This isn't Rush!" The song is almost all keyboard. I bought that album right when it came out and all of my Rush friends made fun of it. It was the Mustang II of Rush at the time or the Killroy Was Here of Styx. But, most of the diehard Rush fans luckily gave the change a chance.

By the time GUP came out I was conditioned to the new sound. It was 1984 and there was a lot of bands that released albums that year. I bought GUP with my friend who bought Herartbeat City. I saw the Rush concert three weeks before seeing Van Halen’s 1984 concert. And I was with a girl I sort of liked so GUP brings back some great memories for me. Also, I really like the way Body Electric starts! I instantly liked GUP a lot more than I did when I first listened to Signals.

Signals had The Analog Kid and Digital Man, both of which are guitar heavy to me, and songs like The Weapon and Countdown were similar in terms of feel to Witch Hunt, which I love. What I mean is the synths were part of an otherwise pretty heavy song. Subdivisions is a keyboard song, but it's also such a strong song I think it overcomes that. For me, Distant Early Warning was the first truly jarring synth song. I like it now, but I remember being very disappointed upon my first listen.

I saw the VH 1984 Tour too. I guess Jump and I'll Wait were viewed similarly by VH fans.

Now, when I go through a Rush binge, GUP plays a similar role to what it served at the time. Once I decide to add it to the rotation, it opens the door to PoW and HYF.

If Trump wins the Presidency, I think there will be a MASS EXODUS from the U.S. to Canada and The Rest Of The World! I don't think he's the right person for the job.

Sorry, NARPy!

Neither is his primary opponent.

Vote libertarian!!!!

Johnson may be LINO.

Just not being evil gives him a leg up on the two "major" party candidates.

True but while the results are not baked in yet. If we're going to save ourselves with a third party why not elect a real Libertarian instead of a self serving LINO.

You mean like Presto is Rush in Name Only? Hard to believe a band that could produce something as transcendent as Xanadu would release crap like Superconductor, War Paint, and Hand Over Fist.

If you can't appreciate MUSIC, you've already LOST. Get with the program.....http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Banana%20World/Wonka%20Banana.gif

Oh, I appreciate music. So much so that it pains me when musicians the caliber of the guys in Rush put out (or mail in) white noise like Presto.

I'm sure you do. When you can HEAR IT. Get the peanut butter outta yer ears, man! Presto is one of my favorite albums.....http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Banana%20World/bananaJackson.gif

With all the great stuff Rush released, THAT'S one of your favorites?

YES. I'm a RUSH FAN. I like EVERY SONG they put out. I can't get a feel for becoming a MUSIC SNOB like this.....The Beatles are the same as far as I'm concerned I take a BAND AS A BAND it's THE WHOLE PACKAGE OR NOTHING. BOC, CHEAp TRICK, The Outfield, etc..... :) :ebert: :clap:

If Trump wins the Presidency, I think there will be a MASS EXODUS from the U.S. to Canada and The Rest Of The World! I don't think he's the right person for the job.

Sorry, NARPy!

Vote libertarian!!!!

Johnson may be LINO.

True but while the results are not baked in yet. If we're going to save ourselves with a third party why not elect a real Libertarian instead of a self serving LINO.

You mean like Presto is Rush in Name Only? Hard to believe a band that could produce something as transcendent as Xanadu would release crap like Superconductor, War Paint, and Hand Over Fist.

If you can't appreciate MUSIC, you've already LOST. Get with the program.....http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Banana%20World/Wonka%20Banana.gif

Oh, I appreciate music. So much so that it pains me when musicians the caliber of the guys in Rush put out (or mail in) white noise like Presto.

I'm sure you do. When you can HEAR IT. Get the peanut butter outta yer ears, man! Presto is one of my favorite albums.....http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Banana%20World/bananaJackson.gif

YES. I'm a RUSH FAN. I like EVERY SONG they put out. I can't get a feel for becoming a MUSIC SNOB like this.....The Beatles are the same as far as I'm concerned I take a BAND AS A BAND it's THE WHOLE PACKAGE OR NOTHING. BOC, CHEAp TRICK, The Outfield, etc..... :) :ebert: :clap:

Good move. Beats having to think.

• Like 1

Favorite

Permanent Waves

Signals

Hemispheres

Clockwork Angels

Grace Under Pressure

Snakes and Arrows

A Farewell to Kings

Fly By Night

Rush

Vapor Trails

Power Windows

Caress of Steel

Counterparts

Roll the Bones

Test for Echo

Presto

Least favorite

Signals is, to me, more like Moving Pictures than Grace Under Pressure. The synths didn't yet overpower the songs.

what version of Signals are you listening to? the version I've been listening to for the last 34 years is all synths over buried guitars.

• Like 1

Sorry, NARPy!

Vote libertarian!!!!

Johnson may be LINO.

Not liking a few, some, or even many songs out of a catalog of dozens of tunes doesn't make someone "a music snob". That's just utter ridiculousness.

• Like 1

Sorry, NARPy!

Vote libertarian!!!!

Johnson may be LINO.

The way my brain works, Sorry if you're not enjoying it. OH WELL! :huh:

Sorry, NARPy!

Vote libertarian!!!!

Johnson may be LINO.

You're entitled to your opinion, no matter how ridiculous it is. It doesn't affect me in any way, so I hope it brings you enjoyment.

• Like 1

Sorry, NARPy!

Vote libertarian!!!!

Johnson may be LINO.

Not liking a few, some, or even many songs out of a catalog of dozens of tunes doesn't make someone "a music snob". That's just utter ridiculousness.

YES IT DOES!!!! NYAH NYAH!!!!

Favorite

Permanent Waves

Signals

Hemispheres

Clockwork Angels

Grace Under Pressure

Snakes and Arrows

A Farewell to Kings

Fly By Night

Rush

Vapor Trails

Power Windows

Caress of Steel

Counterparts

Roll the Bones

Test for Echo

Presto

Least favorite

Signals is, to me, more like Moving Pictures than Grace Under Pressure. The synths didn't yet overpower the songs.

what version of Signals are you listening to? the version I've been listening to for the last 34 years is all synths over buried guitars.

It seems like it's the same album I bought when it was released. The Analog Kid and Digital Man have the guitars buried? On Signals, like Moving Pictures and PeW, synths are certainly present. I don't think they overwhelm the songs though. They started to on GUP, and by HYF the synths "won." The fans didn't, though.

• Like 1

Sorry, NARPy!

Vote libertarian!!!!

Johnson may be LINO.

You're entitled to your opinion, no matter how ridiculous it is. It doesn't affect me in any way, so I hope it brings you enjoyment.

I'm a CURMUDGEON. That kinda shit ALWAYS gives me the HAPPYS!!!! NYAH NYAH!!!!!!!

Favorite

Permanent Waves

Signals

Hemispheres

Clockwork Angels

Grace Under Pressure

Snakes and Arrows

A Farewell to Kings

Fly By Night

Rush

Vapor Trails

Power Windows

Caress of Steel

Counterparts

Roll the Bones

Test for Echo

Presto

Least favorite

For me it was the opposite with those two albums.(GUP and Signals) The first time I heard Subdivisions I was thinking "What the heck! This isn't Rush!" The song is almost all keyboard. I bought that album right when it came out and all of my Rush friends made fun of it. It was the Mustang II of Rush at the time or the Killroy Was Here of Styx. But, most of the diehard Rush fans luckily gave the change a chance.

By the time GUP came out I was conditioned to the new sound. It was 1984 and there was a lot of bands that released albums that year. I bought GUP with my friend who bought Herartbeat City. I saw the Rush concert three weeks before seeing Van Halen’s 1984 concert. And I was with a girl I sort of liked so GUP brings back some great memories for me. Also, I really like the way Body Electric starts! I instantly liked GUP a lot more than I did when I first listened to Signals.

Signals had The Analog Kid and Digital Man, both of which are guitar heavy to me, and songs like The Weapon and Countdown were similar in terms of feel to Witch Hunt, which I love. What I mean is the synths were part of an otherwise pretty heavy song. Subdivisions is a keyboard song, but it's also such a strong song I think it overcomes that. For me, Distant Early Warning was the first truly jarring synth song. I like it now, but I remember being very disappointed upon my first listen.

I saw the VH 1984 Tour too. I guess Jump and I'll Wait were viewed similarly by VH fans.

Now, when I go through a Rush binge, GUP plays a similar role to what it served at the time. Once I decide to add it to the rotation, it opens the door to PoW and HYF.

I’m not saying that GUP isn’t a heavy synth album, because it is. But I think that GUP rocks more than Signals does and like I say, after Signals I was expecting it.

Signals is much more melodic and slow than MP and focused on the keyboard far more than anything Rush had done before. Subdivisions to me is a perfect example of what I’m talking about. And while I absolutely love Losing It, that song doesn’t rock like anything on MP or really anything since Tears. If you listen to it, you don’t hear a guitar until almost a minute into it.

And really the whole album is like that. It’s almost a sad sounding album. But I still really like it. I remember that Countdown was my favorite song from the album for a while there because it seemed to be a little bit faster than the rest of the album. But again it has heavy keyboard parts throughout. (I'm listening to it while I edit this post.)

I felt like Rush had completely reinvented themselves when Signals came out. It was a shock to me. I remember one of my Rush friends telling me that the reason Signals was so different is because Geddy had throat cancer and couldn’t do what he used to be able to do.

Edited by workingcinderellaman
  • Like 1

Favorite

Permanent Waves

Signals

Hemispheres

Clockwork Angels

Grace Under Pressure

Snakes and Arrows

A Farewell to Kings

Fly By Night

Rush

Vapor Trails

Power Windows

Caress of Steel

Counterparts

Roll the Bones

Test for Echo

Presto

Least favorite

I’m not saying that GUP isn’t a heavy synth album, because it is. But I think that GUP rocks more than Signals does and like I say, after Signals I was expecting it.

Signals is much more melodic and slow than MP and focused on the keyboard far more than anything Rush had done before. Subdivisions to me is a perfect example of what I’m talking about. And while I absolutely love Losing It, that song doesn’t rock like anything on MP or really anything since Tears. If you listen to it, you don’t hear a guitar until almost a minute into it.

And really the whole album is like that. It’s almost a sad sounding album. But I still really like it. I remember that Countdown was my favorite song from the album for a while there because it seemed to be a little bit faster than the rest of the album. But again it has heavy keyboard parts throughout. (I'm listening to it while I edit this post.)

I felt like Rush had completely reinvented themselves when Signals came out. It was a shock to me. I remember one of my Rush friends telling me that the reason Signals was so different is because Geddy had throat cancer and couldn’t do what he used to be able to do.

To each his own, I suppose. I don't think any song on GUP is as heavy as The Analog Kid. The Enemy Within is my favorite song on GUP, and I really only like it better than Chemistry on Signals.

• Like 1

Favorite

Permanent Waves

Signals

Hemispheres

Clockwork Angels

Grace Under Pressure

Snakes and Arrows

A Farewell to Kings

Fly By Night

Rush

Vapor Trails

Power Windows

Caress of Steel

Counterparts

Roll the Bones

Test for Echo

Presto

Least favorite

To each his own, I suppose. I don't think any song on GUP is as heavy as The Analog Kid. The Enemy Within is my favorite song on GUP, and I really only like it better than Chemistry on Signals.

BTW is much heavier than TAG. So is DEW....

Of the combination of Signals and p/g, 4 of my top 5 are from p/g, TEW, DEW, RSA, and BEW vs Subdivisions (though the latter is my favorite from both).

• Like 1

Favorite

Permanent Waves

Signals

Hemispheres

Clockwork Angels

Grace Under Pressure

Snakes and Arrows

A Farewell to Kings

Fly By Night

Rush

Vapor Trails

Power Windows

Caress of Steel

Counterparts

Roll the Bones

Test for Echo

Presto

Least favorite

It seems like it's the same album I bought when it was released. The Analog Kid and Digital Man have the guitars buried? On Signals, like Moving Pictures and PeW, synths are certainly present. I don't think they overwhelm the songs though. They started to on GUP, and by HYF the synths "won." The fans didn't, though.

For my taste yes the guitars are too low in the mix on those tunes, even without the synth. The MP mix if perfectly balanced.

I also think GUP is heavier sounding that Signals. Whether or not the songs are better is debatable.

• Like 1

Favorite

Permanent Waves

Signals

Hemispheres

Clockwork Angels

Grace Under Pressure

Snakes and Arrows

A Farewell to Kings

Fly By Night

Rush

Vapor Trails

Power Windows

Caress of Steel

Counterparts

Roll the Bones

Test for Echo

Presto

Least favorite

For my taste yes the guitars are too low in the mix on those tunes, even without the synth. The MP mix if perfectly balanced.

I also think GUP is heavier sounding that Signals. Whether or not the songs are better is debatable.

Which songs do you think are heavier on GUP?

• Like 1

I was going to start a Welcome Back Narps! thread. :) It'll be a nice companion to this thread!

When I saw his post, I had to squint my eyes, not once - but twice, and get up real close to the screen to make sure I was seeing what I thought i was seeing.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 5