Best way to learn guitar?

Ventris

Ok, so I'm a total noob. I just got a guitar and I am wondering what is the best way to learn. Like, should I just go for lessons somewhere? Should I learn on my own? Through the many resources of the interwebs? Some DVD set out there I should know about? What's the fastest way to memorize the strings and frets? I have a hard time even picking the same string as the one I am holding down without looking. I'm not expecting to play well anytime soon I just need to know where to start. I really want to put this guitar to use, I've given up before but I don't want to do that again. I really hope this doesn't make me sound stupid, so go easy on me.

Find a good teacher in your area. Learning on your own can be good but starting out you need some structure and a direction. It's too easy to say "I'll do it tomorrow" where if you have a weekly appointment scheduled and are paying someone to teach you your motivation and discipline will increase. You can always take what you learn from a teacher and apply that method to your personal learning.
  • Like 4

What they all said.

Nothing like one on one immediate feedback.

You can augment your lessons with free stuff on YouTube. There's tons of great stuff out there.

Also, do yourself a favor and learn some music theory, especially as it pertains to guitar. If you are playing a D9 or an A13, you should know what makes it a 9 or a 13, and how it fits into what you are playing.

Edited by Dr. Sheldon Cooper
  • Like 2

I think lessons are a good idea.....I've been playing for years and never had one, and I'm seriously thinking of getting some, as I seem to have hit a brick wall and haven't really improved for a long time......
  • Like 1

I think lessons are a good idea.....I've been playing for years and never had one, and I'm seriously thinking of getting some, as I seem to have hit a brick wall and haven't really improved for a long time......

I'm not as good now as I once was. I'd have to practice daily to get back to my best, but I can't seem to muster the interest in putting in the work given that I'm not in a gigging band. I hate to say it but getting better just for the sake of getting better doesn't at this point in my life seem like it's worth the effort.

• Like 1

When I was 25 I took lessons so I could learn how to play jazz. The guy I went to was well known in the area but he pretty much taught his method so I didn't stick with him for very long, but I did learn basic jazz chord scales. I would take lessons again with the right teacher.

• Like 1

When I was 25 I took lessons so I could learn how to play jazz. The guy I went to was well known in the area but he pretty much taught his method so I didn't stick with him for very long, but I did learn basic jazz chord scales. I would take lessons again with the right teacher.

My prices are reasonable!

:LOL:

Personal lessons are always the best way to start, in my humble opinion. You want someone to work with you face to face and make sure you are holding the guitar and pick correctly, and to help you point out anything else that can help you along. Everyone learns differently and it's good to find a teacher who can teach you according to your needs and learning style.

Internet/online I think is great once you have a good foundation of the basic methods and theory under your belt.

• Like 1

I took 1 lesson in 1985. I then walked out of the lesson, went to a keg party and before I knew it, it was 1987.

Good luck, i just never had the dedication to do it. I admire anyone who does.

Good. I could use some help!

I took 1 lesson in 1985. I then walked out of the lesson, went to a keg party and before I knew it, it was 1987.

I got my first guitar in 1984 (it was a cheapie, but still). Then I did nothing much with it. Just started lessons 3 years ago (took the last year off and looking to start up again).

My point is, 1984 for me, 1985 for you....can you imagine how awesome we'd be by now if we had just stuck with it? :doh: :banghead:

I got my first guitar in 1984 (it was a cheapie, but still). Then I did nothing much with it. Just started lessons 3 years ago (took the last year off and looking to start up again).

My point is, 1984 for me, 1985 for you....can you imagine how awesome we'd be by now if we had just stuck with it? :doh: :banghead:

On a scale of 1-10, how old are you?

What they all said.

Nothing like one on one immediate feedback.

You can augment your lessons with free stuff on YouTube. There's tons of great stuff out there.

Also, do yourself a favor and learn some music theory, especially as it pertains to guitar. If you are playing a D9 or an A13,you should know what makes it a 9 or a 13,and how it fits into what you are playing.

+10000000 on learning theory. It will give you a better understanding of how music works and why you play certain things at certain times. Plus it will give you an up on so many guitarists who come across as dumb because they don't know what something is called. :)

• Like 2

I am going to check out Carol Kaye's materials. She still teaches and will do Skype lessons, pretty reasonably too.

I am going to check out Carol Kaye's materials. She still teaches and will do Skype lessons, pretty reasonably too.

When I first started learning to play bass and was taking lessons, her books were what I learned from. I remember she suggested using those soft felt picks. Those were odd.

• Like 1

Are you suggesting my prices are too high?

;)

Edited by Dr. Sheldon Cooper

I'm suggesting that Carol Kaye is one of my actual influences that I could actually contact and learn from directly. :) Not that you aren't a damn fine player yourself.
  • Like 1

"I taught myself how to play the guitar, which was a bad decision... because I didn't know how to play it, so I was a shitty teacher. I would never have went to me."

- Mitch Hedberg

• Like 1