The Prog Era vs The Synth Era

AnEggplant

Which group of albums do you pefer?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Which one is the best?

• Fly By Night, Caress of Steel, 2112, A Farewell To Kings, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures
    • Signals, Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows, Hold Your Fire
    • Both album groups are equally good

Damn, I miss Narps .... I hope he returns to the forum soon

For me, Rush looks like this:

1) Prog era

2) Rock 'n Roll era

.. and all the rest

It was magic early on as they were a young band taking a step ( leap ? ) forward with each album .. You can toss the "prog" label on 'em, but they were like no other "prog" band ... You can argue that they were metal, but again, like no other band . . .

I much prefer the Prog era but over the years I've learned to appreciate the synth era. It was just such a huge 180 degree turn for them musically that it was hard for a lot of people to stomach. It's easier to appreciate now since we can see what came after it.

Any time a thread title includes the word "best" it's never going to end well. There is no such thing. It's just subjective.

I know it's subjective, what I was trying to find is which one is more popular on this forum, that's all.

I understand that, but people see the word best and it becomes a competition. I would imagine it's pretty evenly divided depending on who's visiting the forum today.

Perhaps, but I thought "which blank is best polls" are the main purpose of the Feedback section.

I'm just saying that putting "best" in the title will be sure to cause some strife. I know people do, but it usually happens. Civil discussion seems to be going by the wayside since the tour has ended.

• Like 1

There was much to adjust to as a Rush fan moving from the 70s into the 80s and beyond

What I first loved was Geddy's voice - and in addition to the sound of his voice, it was the fact that he was singing about all this odd and image provoking stuff ..

And being a kid who was just picking up the guitar, I loved Alex's frenzied Jimmy Page riffs, and of course, his forays into classical guitar, and the fantastic moods he create with the volume/echo . .

There was also an attitude there that was unique to Rush -

All that - my favorites aspects - went out the window in the 80s

Did I still listen, and anticipate each album ?? .. yes, but the connection was gone

• Like 1

... and let's not forget, there was also this era

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/images/albums/rush-cover-s.jpg

I have a friend that considers this her favorite Rush album.

• Like 1

Any time a thread title includes the word "best" it's never going to end well. There is no such thing. It's just subjective.

I know it's subjective, what I was trying to find is which one is more popular on this forum, that's all.

I understand that, but people see the word best and it becomes a competition. I would imagine it's pretty evenly divided depending on who's visiting the forum today.

Perhaps, but I thought "which blank is best polls" are the main purpose of the Feedback section.

I'm just saying that putting "best" in the title will be sure to cause some strife. I know people do, but it usually happens. Civil discussion seems to be going by the wayside since the tour has ended.

Unfortunately you're right on that one. I'll try to avoid doing that in the future. :)

• Like 1

7 albums to 4 albums isn't really a fair comparison.

I like both periods equally I think, but there's a lot more clunkers in the earlier era stuff.

And a lot more home-runs as well.

Madrigal to LaVilla is quite a range of quality.

Prog easy. Signals and Grace Under Pressure are great also but that is quite the imbalance. Heck the debut is as good or better than anything after Grace Under Pressure in my view...
  • Like 1

The debut album was just an all out rocker with lots of energy and enthusiasm but not very well polished and shows a band eager to get their foot in the door. It pretty much accomplished what I think it set out to do. I like it a lot for what it is but RUSH still had a ways to go as far as maturity goes. I like it more than a few of their later albums but I still don't really think over all it's one of their best efforts. That said I don't think there is such a thing as bad RUSH.

Every one of the prog albums is better than all the synth ones in my opinion (except P/G, which I have an odd affinity for). I like everything Rush has done to some degree, but they were really at the top of their game with that AFTK to MP run, no doubt about it.
  • Like 1