Michael Jackson Or Prince?

bluefox4000

Michael Jackson vs. Prince  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who is better?

Segue and i were Discussing who we thought was better. So I wanted to put it to the forum.

Both giants of the 80's. Myself i go for Prince. he, IMO, Had some of the best albums of the decade. He was a genius to me.

Michael was great. but to my ears really only had Off the Wall and Thriller. Dangerous if i'm Generous.

So who do you like better?

Mick

Prince is outstanding to those who like him. I don't.

Michael Jackson is overrated to many. But not me.

Michael Jackson! All the way!

• Like 1

Ouch...so difficult to say who is better.

I would say for Prince's forays into various different styles- not only pop and dance, but rock and funk as well...he has an edge in that sense. But when it comes to perfectly crafted pop, Michael definitely has an edge there.

I weep for the past.

• Like 2

Ouch...so difficult to say who is better.

I would say for Prince's forays into various different styles- not only pop and dance, but rock and funk as well...he has an edge in that sense. But when it comes to perfectly crafted pop, Michael definitely has an edge there.

I weep for the past.

Prince had so much to like. I hate it tho, same as many here hate Springsteen for reasons I, as a fan, think are dumb.

Michael Jackson was a man with a big heart, and he was an exceptional dancer, and pop star, who put the song ahead of the style. Prince has great songs, they I only discovered were great when other artists covered them.

For example: Purple Rain. Hate his version. Love the cover I heard not long ago (not sure who did it!).

Michael Jackson, like The Beatles, is an artist who to me has songs I can only tolerate if THEY are the ones performing them. I love MJ. Of the eighties, second to no one. No one came close. Not even Toto.

Even my favourite Toto album has a lot of stylistic similarities to MJ, and I know Toto members played a role in MJ's sound, but the songs they mostly had a part in happen to be my least fave off Thriller.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

Some people get turned off by Prince's crudeness. i get it. i don't myself but i get it, lol

but to me musically he covered WAY more ground then Michael did. so there's just more to feast on.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

Prince collaborated with No Doubt and Madonna, two of my favourite pop artists. Not a fan of those either. I just HATE his sound and production style. Always have! And the sex themes out me right off as well. Not for me.
  • Like 1

Some people get turned off by Prince's crudeness. i get it. i don't myself but i get it, lol

but to me musically he covered WAY more ground then Michael did. so there's just more to feast on.

Mick

I don't think he excelled at anything he put his hand too, except as a guitarist (again, I hate the production style...he has a sound that makes me want to throw bricks at puppies). Michael Jackson was the best at everything he touched. Great singer, dancer, entertainer.

Versatility is not a plus if they don't appeal. Same goes for Zappa. (BTW I totally dig the classical stuff he did).

• Like 2

Mick

Can you cite a favourite song by either? Or both?

I'm surprised you didn't mention Bad as one of the good MJ records.

Mine:

MJ: Man in the Mirror, I think. Utterly perfect.

Prince: Kind of funny, maybe, but I'm going to say Raspberry Beret. It has an infectious groove that just won't quit!

My ranking of MJ's classic (adult) records:

1. Bad

2. Dangerous

3. Thriller

4. Off The Wall

5. History

6. Invincible

The range from 8 to 10/10 for me!

The poll asks us to say who is better, but the OP asks us to say who we like better, so I'll answer question #2 and go with Prince. Edited by JARG
  • Like 2

Mick

Can you cite a favourite song by either? Or both?

I'm surprised you didn't mention Bad as one of the good MJ records.

Mine:

MJ: Man in the Mirror, I think. Utterly perfect.

Prince: Kind of funny, maybe, but I'm going to say Raspberry Beret. It has an infectious groove that just won't quit!

I have tons by Prince

Kiss

Shhhhh

Purple Rain

Cream

Little Red Corvette

When Doves Cry

Do me Baby (Crude but one of the best vocals of all time(

The Ladder

Pop Life

Temptation

Michael.

the whole of both the Thriller and off the Wall albums.

That's it.

Michael's vocals are hit or miss for me too.

I cannot see how someone can be better if I don't like their music as much.

Prince. Killer songwriter who covers practically every genre. Killer performer. Killer guitarist.

Michael Jackson had an incredible talent to entertain. And he had some magnificent songs.

Prince did it all by himself. Michael Jackson, even with all his talent, relied on or needed collaborators. God bless, Quincy Jones!

If a tiebreaker is needed, Prince can sit alone behind a piano and perform. Can Michael Jackson?

Prince never stops. Prince wins.

• Like 6

Prince. Killer songwriter who covers practically every genre. Killer performer. Killer guitarist.

Michael Jackson had an incredible talent to entertain. And he had some magnificent songs.

Prince did it all by himself. Michael Jackson, even with all his talent, relied on or needed collaborators. God bless, Quincy Jones!

If a tiebreaker is needed, Prince can sit alone behind a piano and perform. Can Michael Jackson?

See I just wish I could agree...Prince is the only major "pop star" of the eighties I don't like.

Bingo. Thriller......i don't think would have been as big without mister Jones.

I doubt it anyway.

Mick

I doubt it anyway.

Mick

The same could be argued for any artist ever. If one special ingredient was missing, would anyone like it? MJ was in full control of everything he did, he worked with who he liked. No different to an architect with a super talented building team. Prince was all in one, doesn't mean that marks him out as anything special UNLESS you appreciate his work.

Even Bon Jovi and Taylor Swift became famous writing their own songs. I don't see everyone loving them either. Prince is no different.

• Like 2

I doubt it anyway.

Mick

The same could be argued for any artist ever. If one special ingredient was missing, would anyone like it? MJ was in full control of everything he did, he worked with who he liked. No different to an architect with a super talented building team. Prince was all in one, doesn't mean that marks him out as anything special UNLESS you appreciate his work.

Even Bon Jovi and Taylor Swift became famous writing their own songs. I don't see everyone loving them either. Prince is no different.

i love the passion for Michael........just want to state i'm taking nothing away from him......at all.

i just think in the grand scheme. taking away all the hype king of pop stuff.

his work just does not measure up to the rep he has.

not close at all.

Mick

• Like 1

Agreed.

Madonna, Elvis, The Beatles, Michael Jackson, Bruce Springsteen, Prince: all great, but all have titles given them that are SO annoying (I love The Boss though).

• Like 1

Agreed.

Madonna, Elvis, The Beatles, Michael Jackson, Bruce Springsteen, Prince: all great, but all have titles given them that are SO annoying (I love The Boss though).

i don't buy titles either.

just make music damn it, lol

Mick

• Like 1

Agreed.

i don't buy titles either.

just make music damn it, lol

Mick

Springsteen hated The Boss. I love it because he knew it wouldn't die so he just learned to embrace it!

But Madonna...as good as she is...started around the same time as Cyndi Lauper. Guess who had the best early album run?

Queen of pop? Nope...

• Like 1