Is SAGA The Red Headed Stepchild Of Canadian Progressive Rock? Rush? Triumph? Wireless? Max Webster? "WIND HIM UP!" Wind Me Up! Tell Me I'm Wrong!

RUSHHEAD666

There are a few SAGA threads on here but I think they need another one.

Probably will hit the back pages of the Rush Forum Music Of The Spheres Section but what the hell!

I think this is one of the greatest bands in the world.

Yeah I know, I say that about hundreds of bands but so be it!

SAGA absolutely RULES!

Do you agree or disagree? Do you care?

Ian seriously is a frigging SHREDDER!

Did SAGA ever open up for RUSH?

Hope someone knows.

I know I am different from a lot of you.

So here it comes, the punchline.

I know that we are "WORLDS APART!"

• Like 3

My first exposure to them was the Worlds Apart Live dvd. I've watched this probably about 5 times all the way thru since I discovered it earlier this year. Captivating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vix0fmYLJHg

I'm so happy you discovered them. They are one of my all time favorites. Again. Ian is a Top Five Guitarist in the world.

Even when they went through their serious synth years like Rush when Ian had his solos he shredded.

His guitar sound is so killer too.

Overlooked and underrated.

Edited by RUSHHEAD666

I like them! I don't find them very proggy, but I haven't played anything pre-Worlds Apart. World's Apart is prog in the sense Moving Pictures is prog, which I really like! They sound great played back to back!
  • Like 2

http://www.covershut.com/covers/Saga-In-Transit-Live-1982-Front-Cover-30038.jpg

I was given this in 1983 by my German brother-in-law, who is a drummer. A classic collection of early Saga.

http://www.covershut.com/back_covers/Saga-In-Transit-Live-1982-Back-Cover-30038.jpg

• Like 2

I remember the Mtv stuff. Always thought the music was very cool!

Don't think Saga ever opened for Rush. Definitely none of the tours I saw, and I saw every tour from Moving Pictures to the present.

• Like 2

Saw them live a few times in the 80's. Every show was killer back then. Love their early stuff.

That reminds me of the Night Of Guitars show I saw. Ian was so f***ed, he lurched around on stage, dressed in stained sweatpants and all of a sudden he stepped up to the microphone, and said in a babbling voice The next song is called BEER. Haha, that was a great gig.

• Like 2

Playing Saga now.

It sounds like proggy Toto had a baby with Duran Duran.

• Like 3

I had their album with "Worlds Apart" back in the 80s, but I had forgotten about them until Earl posted about that song a little while back.

Didn't Roger Dean do their album artwork? (I know he did Asia's.) Or am I mis-remembering?

• Like 1

I think World's Apart sounds a lot like the last Killers album in places...

I must look into this band. Splendid stuff!

• Like 1

I had their album with "Worlds Apart" back in the 80s, but I had forgotten about them until Earl posted about that song a little while back.

Didn't Roger Dean do their album artwork? (I know he did Asia's.) Or am I mis-remembering?

That's a great question! I don't think Dean did the SAGA stuff. I should look into it but YES I mean Dean did do the ASIA art. Love it! Sorry for the bad YES joke. It just flows out of my unfiltered brain.

• Like 1

Saw them live a few times in the 80's. Every show was killer back then. Love their early stuff.

That reminds me of the Night Of Guitars show I saw. Ian was so f***ed, he lurched around on stage, dressed in stained sweatpants and all of a sudden he stepped up to the microphone, and said in a babbling voice The next song is called BEER. Haha, that was a great gig.

That's awesome buddy. I'm jealous! I am still Saga Virgin. They never come out West! UGH!

I like them! I don't find them very proggy, but I haven't played anything pre-Worlds Apart. World's Apart is prog in the sense Moving Pictures is prog, which I really like! They sound great played back to back!

That's why I'm here buddy! To turn young guys on like you to good music. So I struck out with Ghost. At least I got a hit with Saga! I may be a wise ass, but I am also very wise when it comes to music.

I remember the Mtv stuff. Always thought the music was very cool!

Don't think Saga ever opened for Rush. Definitely none of the tours I saw, and I saw every tour from Moving Pictures to the present.

Yeah that makes sense Tick, I'm sure they never toured with RUSH. Would have been a killer double bill though! Perhaps I will have to fly to Canada to see them. They are on my bucket list. Now that I'm single it's time to go "ON THE LOOSE!"

• Like 1

I remember seeing them on a very special tour. They opened the show in a spectacular way. There were 20-25 people working on stage, all were dressed in red overalls (like the ones from the MP cover). It took them quite a long time to set up the gear and while the houselights were still on - bamm, a massive explosion, and they started playing On The Loose. I swear they came out of nowhere and all were dressed in these red overalls. That was one of the greatest, totally unexpected ways to start a show.
  • Like 1

I remember seeing them on a very special tour. They opened the show in a spectacular way. There were 20-25 people working on stage, all were dressed in red overalls (like the ones from the MP cover). It took them quite a long time to set up the gear and while the houselights were still on - bamm, a massive explosion, and they started playing On The Loose. I swear they came out of nowhere and all were dressed in these red overalls. That was one of the greatest, totally unexpected ways to start a show.

That is an awesome story! Thanks for sharing you lucky dog!

• Like 1