WOW!

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 blueschica

blueschica

What the Puck?

• Members
  • 5858 posts
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 10 November 2015 - 10:21 PM

View Postcanadianice, on 10 November 2015 - 08:23 PM, said:

View PostEagleMoon, on 10 November 2015 - 08:10 PM, said:

Why not just rip the remaster from YouTube? It sounds much better than the one on the hard drive.
  I want a physical copy(cd). This one seems very hard to track down.
Which show is it that you are wanting on CD? The Desert Passage one or the Black Forest one ??

Sponsored Post

#22 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21767 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 11 November 2015 - 12:21 AM

Why not just rip the remaster from YouTube? It sounds much better than the one on the hard drive.

I figured you knew I meant to burn it to a CD after that.

#23 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42212 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 12:48 PM

To my ears, Cygnus Gold has a better sound than A Dessert Passage.

#24 canadianice

canadianice

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2962 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 12:54 PM

View Postblueschica, on 10 November 2015 - 10:21 PM, said:

Which show is it that you are wanting on CD? The Desert Passage one or the Black Forest one ??
  Storm over Tucson remastered------cannot track it down?

#25 ytserush

ytserush

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3899 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 07:04 PM

This show was kind of a holy grail in the early '90s when it became available. Until then, there were no decent soundboard Hemisphere Tour shows around. I played the crap out of this one for about 6 months after I got it in 1994 or so. Eventually four or five pretty amazing shows from 1978-79 finally made it out, but this will always have the distinction for me of being first.

#26 Cygnus 2112

Cygnus 2112

The Professor

• Members *
  • 4651 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 07:19 AM

View PostLorraine, on 11 November 2015 - 12:48 PM, said:

What's the date of Cygnus Gold? I'll have to go find it.

#27 ytserush

ytserush

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3899 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 01:17 PM

View PostCygnus 2112, on 15 November 2015 - 07:19 AM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 11 November 2015 - 12:48 PM, said:

What's the date of Cygnus Gold? I'll have to go find it.

It's the same show. 11/20/1978.   Could be a different generation or master, but it's the same show. There are a least a half-dozen versions from this date. I have six myself so there must be more.

#28 Jomboni

Jomboni

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 01:14 PM

I'm not really huge on bootlegs but this is definitely my favorite!  I have the Desert Passage version. Are there any that sound better?  This one could amost pass for an official release.

#29 Jaminbenb

Jaminbenb

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2874 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 09:13 AM

View PostJomboni, on 16 November 2015 - 01:14 PM, said:

I'm not really huge on bootlegs but this is definitely my favorite!  I have the Desert Passage version. Are there any that sound better?  This one could amost pass for an official release.

Cygnus Gold has a great sound, and IIRC the benefit is that the parts that were missing from tape flips, etc. are re-added with (albeit) substandard clips to make it complete.  There was a huge glut of people back in the 90's who were getting these shows and making them available on CD-r, and trading the living crap out of them.  I just looked at my bootleg list and I have that, Desert Passage, and Every Soul a Battlefield.

My two favorites from this "era" are probably Buenos Nochos Motor City (12/2/78) and Black Forest (5/28/79)

EDIT:  just looked...Cygnus X story is on "dime"

Edited by Jaminbenb, 24 November 2015 - 09:17 AM.

#30 mrfriendly

mrfriendly

The Seeker

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 11:41 AM

Now that the band is in effect done and the idea of any new releases seems minimal, you think at some point down the future they will release a live album full of deeper cuts. They have several live albums showcasing all the eras, early, 70-80s, synth, 90s and post hiatus. But as far as I know there are certain gems missing front the ATWAS and ESL time period which should be properly documented on a good live recording. I know there is a bonus disc of different stages which is hard to come by that has some great 70-80s stuff that aren't on any other live releases.

It would be great to have good official live release of Hemispheres (full), Cygnus (we've only had instrumentals post hiatus), Farewell to Kings, Necromancer?, Twilight Zone. And I wouldn't mind throwing in some of the synth era stuff and early 90s that hasn't been on any official live release.

Edited by mrfriendly, 18 December 2015 - 11:43 AM.

#31 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42212 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 05:11 PM

View PostJaminbenb, on 24 November 2015 - 09:13 AM, said:

View PostJomboni, on 16 November 2015 - 01:14 PM, said:

Cygnus Gold has a great sound, and IIRC the benefit is that the parts that were missing from tape flips, etc. are re-added with (albeit) substandard clips to make it complete.  There was a huge glut of people back in the 90's who were getting these shows and making them available on CD-r, and trading the living crap out of them.  I just looked at my bootleg list and I have that, Desert Passage, and Every Soul a Battlefield.

My two favorites from this "era" are probably Buenos Nochos Motor City (12/2/78) and Black Forest (5/28/79)

EDIT:  just looked...Cygnus X story is on "dime"

Thanks for the recommendation.  I'm listening to Xanadu from it right now.  

Those were the days.

Edit:  That was beyond great.  :wub: One of the clearest and sharpest recordings of it I've ever listened to.  
Listening to Hemispheres next.  :)

Edited by Lorraine, 18 December 2015 - 05:22 PM.

#32 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42212 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 05:38 PM

I don't  know how Rush managed to do in the seventies what 98% of the other bands couldn't do - sound in concert almost identical to what was on the album.

#33 Thunder Bay Rush

Thunder Bay Rush

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1196 posts
  • Interests:Rush, Rush, Rush, drums, living off-grid, fishing, hunting, cooking, gardening, raising and growing my own food! Farting in crowded elevators... silent or otherwise.

Posted 18 December 2015 - 06:04 PM

Lorraine, I agree!  And, without all the goddam sequencers et cetera that are used these days.  Back then, if you heard it coming through the speakers, it meant someone played it.  The Hemispheres Tour was probably the best of all.

#34 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42212 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 06:13 PM

View PostThunder Bay Rush, on 18 December 2015 - 06:04 PM, said:

Lorraine, I agree!  And, without all the goddam sequencers et cetera that are used these days.  Back then, if you heard it coming through the speakers, it meant someone played it.  The Hemispheres Tour was probably the best of all.
Thunder Bay, I will always remember you.  When I first came here, you were one of the very first people to make me feel at home.  I asked you a question about what Neil was doing on the drums during either TS or DEW.

I just finished listening to almost that entire bootleg.  Really extraordinary.  The sound is exceptional - especially when you remember it's 1978!!!

Edited by Lorraine, 18 December 2015 - 08:19 PM.

#35 Lucas

Lucas

Leave That Wrench Alone

• Members
  • 10812 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 08:46 PM

I'm listening to Storm Over Tucson right now ... The Trees segues right into Cygnus X1

Good lord, music doesn't get any better than this

#36 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42212 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 08:50 PM

That's exactly how I feel whenever I listen to those old bootlegs.

#37 TheAccountant

TheAccountant

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1273 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 10:50 PM

View PostLorraine, on 09 November 2015 - 07:59 PM, said:

View Postandrooq, on 09 November 2015 - 09:35 AM, said:

Amazing Show from top to bottom... insane when Geddy has to tell the crowd to chill
Agreed, it was an amazing show.  I'm grateful to have these bootlegs.

100% agree.  I also have the "A Desert Passage" version - love it.  Its my favorite boot of all the boots I have.

#38 TheAccountant

TheAccountant

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1273 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 10:55 PM

View PostCygnus 2112, on 10 November 2015 - 12:01 AM, said:

View Postedhunter, on 09 November 2015 - 08:18 PM, said:

I haven't listened to bootlegs in forever because my phone capacity made me dump them. But isn't Black Forest from that tour a little better? My version of A Desert Passage cuts out a few times from a SB mix to what seems like a single mike in the back of the arena.
Isn't Black Forest from the next tour?  It contains Cygnus X-1 and Hemispheres back to back.

No - if it has both Cygnus X-1 & Hemispheres back to back I believe would be from the same tour as "A Desert Passage".  At least thats what I think anyway.

#39 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21767 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 18 December 2015 - 11:10 PM

View PostTheAccountant, on 18 December 2015 - 10:55 PM, said:

View PostCygnus 2112, on 10 November 2015 - 12:01 AM, said:

View Postedhunter, on 09 November 2015 - 08:18 PM, said:

I haven't listened to bootlegs in forever because my phone capacity made me dump them. But isn't Black Forest from that tour a little better? My version of A Desert Passage cuts out a few times from a SB mix to what seems like a single mike in the back of the arena.
Isn't Black Forest from the next tour?  It contains Cygnus X-1 and Hemispheres back to back.

No - if it has both Cygnus X-1 & Hemispheres back to back I believe would be from the same tour as "A Desert Passage".  At least thats what I think anyway.

It's the same show, it's just been remastered.

#40 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42212 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 11:56 AM

Speaking of Black Forest, I have a cd of it I can sell you for $30.00.  :dweez:

Only teasing folks.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: WOW!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users