After 30 years, gonna ged a Bass HELP PLEASE?

third hand grace

I can't shake the need to get a bass again after 30 years. I had basses as a teen but never had the discipline to learn much more than tab and immediately wanted to play Geddy and Chris Squire stuff, so I got frustrated and stuck to football.

I was hoping for some good advice as to what to buy.

I want to spend about $500 max.

I am mostly concerned about is "playability" for lack of a technical word. I don't have big hands for example.

Anyone have some advice?

Thanks for your time!

There are plenty of Fender Jazz basses in that range, and cheaper. Squires can be as good or better than some Fenders for less money. The things is playing them to find what you like.
  • Like 1

$500 total or $500 for just the bass itself? It's better to spend more on the amp and get a decent one. A cheap bass will sound better through a decent amp than a good bass will sound through a cheap amp.
  • Like 1

I have an Ibanez SDGR bass I got from Guitar Center in 2010 for $600. Light as a feather, beautiful finish and the active EQ lets you pretty much pull up any tone you're looking for. I was actually about to list it on eBay. I'll post a link once it's up.

Yes i did it on purpose.

$500 for just the bass, amp is whole nother question. One thing at a time lol.

4 string.

I don't care abt weight cuz im never gonna be in a band.

I want something that i will own for next 30 years.

My biggest concern is size of hands

I remember struggling with that as a kid

Thnks everyone!

There are plenty of Fender Jazz basses in that range, and cheaper. Squires can be as good or better than some Fenders for less money. The things is playing them to find what you like.

agreed 100%...just load it with Omega Bridge ( Badass Bridge type but at 50% cost) , set of fresh round wounds and you are ready to go!!

Yes i did it on purpose.

4 string.

Thnks everyone!

For $500 you can get a used Geddy Jazz bass easily, or possibly an older American Standard or easily an American Special. I would stick with a jazz bass because that will give you the tone you want. If you go with another manufacturer/brand it won't sound like you want. An Ibanez I.e. Won't really sound like Geddy or Chris Squire.

Edited by EagleMoon

Yes i did it on purpose.

4 string.

Thnks everyone!

For $500 you can get a used Geddy Jazz bass easily, or possibly an older American Standard or easily an American Special. I would stick with a jazz bass because that will give you the tone you want. If you go with another manufacturer/brand it won't sound like you want. An Ibanez I.e. Won't really sound like Geddy or Chris Squire.

Not that easily... The cheapest Geddy Bass on eBay is $800 right now, with a gig bag at best. I paid $600 in '98, and that included the Deluxe Case.

Edited by edhunter

Yes i did it on purpose.

4 string.

Thnks everyone!

Not that easily... The cheapest Geddy Bass on eBay is $800 right now, with a gig bag at best. I paid $600 in '98, and that included the Deluxe Case.

Oh trust me, you can find them. I've owned five of them and every one I had, except for one which bought new, I got for around $500. Check out the Talkbass forum. There is a classified section there and really good people. Always some good deals to be had.

agreed 100%...just load it with Omega Bridge ( Badass Bridge type but at 50% cost) , set of fresh round wounds and you are ready to go!!

I'm done with round wounds. I'm all flat wounds these days. :) In your face bass with roundness. Less harmonics on top but it sits better against guitars.

Yes i did it on purpose.

4 string.

Thnks everyone!

Precision basses have a wider fret board than J's. You can find P's with J pickup configurations. That might suit you best. They used to be called Jazz Bass Specials or P Bass Specials, one of the two.

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2

Looks like the P bass with the J style bridge pickup is now called the Deluxe. MSRP is $699 but haven't seen a Squire equivalent which should be cheaper.

Thanks all.

Why would WIDER be better? not following.

I am not particularly looking for TONE like Geddy/Squire. Actually I plan on playing a lot of BLUES, and haven't thought that much about the tone!

Thanks all.

I am not particularly looking for TONE like Geddy/Squire. Actually I plan on playing a lot of BLUES, and haven't thought that much about the tone!

I would go try out some different basses at the music store. We can make suggestions but only you are going to know what actually fits, feels and sounds good to you.

Thanks all.

I misread, sorry. I thought you said you had large hands. A J has a thinner neck, especially at the nut.

Having two pickups allows for more variety of tones, not so much to sound like Geddy. Only Geddy sounds like Geddy. :)

You really need to walk into a store and try a few ......the quality of the bass does indeed affect the sound, but most of the tone comes from your tehnique and how you play.

here's am example of Joe Satriani playing at someones house using heap crappy gear....still sounds like him

(I know its not bass, bur a valid illustration)

Did my research, found what I like... fender jazz... now...

COMBO AMP suggestions for $300ish

I am only going to use in my home and yes I know that, like the bass, there is some preferences that might affect my decision, but is terms of QUALITY construction and a trusted company?

Can any of you tell what you like and why?

thanks!

Thanks... how old for $300? worried about used cuz I know so little about equip/tech.

do big music stores do checks on used equip?

THANKS

Used GK. Their tone is sweet. All I've used for the past 10 years. Bought other amps to try out but keep going back to the GK's.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Bass-Combo-Amplifiers.gc?N=1085&postalCode=92101&radius=100#narrowSideBar

Here's a variety of amps on that range. Ampeg, GK, SWR and others make good products in that range.