Fly By Night or Caress Of Steel? Which Is Better?

Segue Myles

Which 1975 album is better?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for your favourite!

2. 2. How would you rate Fly By Night?

3. 3. How would you rate Caress Of Steel?

FBN - 8/10

COS - 2/10

Obviously, IMO, FBN is way better.

What is it about CoS that you despise so?

This isn't one of them hyper sensitive posts...just curious!

NP - glad to explain!!

I can't stand The Necromancer & The Fountain of Lamneth. As Geddy says in "Beyond the Lighted stage", "I think we were high when we made that record". Wow does it show and, to my ears, not in any good way. The music in these 2 songs stinks (mostly) and the lyrics do nothing for me.

IMO, the next time Rush created songs that were as bad as these 2 songs was when they created "Virtuality" and "Dog Years". Actually "Dog Years" and "Virtuality" are worse but thats not saying much - they are Rush's 2 worst songs. Keep in mind Neil was hung over when he wrote Dog Years. Even the songs from RTB are better - and thats not saying much!!! Most of them are not special. Well, most of the original VT songs are in the same boat as The Necromancer & The Fountain of Lamneth. The remix is actually slightly better.

Its a pity these 2 long songs ruin the album - for me. Lakeside Park & Bastille Day are both very good. I think I'am Going Bald is barely ok. Nothing more. So 1 barely ok song, 2 very good songs and 2 long and very bad songs yields a very bad album (IMO).

Thanks for asking!!

I will never for the life of me understand why Dog Years and Virtuality are so detested here. :huh:

They stink on their own merits but when you compare them to the greatness previous they are a word much worse than stink which escapes me at the moment... :codger:

I get that they're not the best Rush songs ever, but I don't see how they come close to the worst.

Believe me I find no enjoyment out of the fact that they do. Superconductor is probably worse than both if that helps any... :)

Aw, but I like Superconductor! :P

• Like 2

FBN - 8/10

COS - 2/10

NP - glad to explain!!

I can't stand The Necromancer & The Fountain of Lamneth. As Geddy says in "Beyond the Lighted stage", "I think we were high when we made that record". Wow does it show and, to my ears, not in any good way. The music in these 2 songs stinks (mostly) and the lyrics do nothing for me.

IMO, the next time Rush created songs that were as bad as these 2 songs was when they created "Virtuality" and "Dog Years". Actually "Dog Years" and "Virtuality" are worse but thats not saying much - they are Rush's 2 worst songs. Keep in mind Neil was hung over when he wrote Dog Years. Even the songs from RTB are better - and thats not saying much!!! Most of them are not special. Well, most of the original VT songs are in the same boat as The Necromancer & The Fountain of Lamneth. The remix is actually slightly better.

Its a pity these 2 long songs ruin the album - for me. Lakeside Park & Bastille Day are both very good. I think I'am Going Bald is barely ok. Nothing more. So 1 barely ok song, 2 very good songs and 2 long and very bad songs yields a very bad album (IMO).

Thanks for asking!!

I will never for the life of me understand why Dog Years and Virtuality are so detested here. :huh:

They stink on their own merits but when you compare them to the greatness previous they are a word much worse than stink which escapes me at the moment... :codger:

I get that they're not the best Rush songs ever, but I don't see how they come close to the worst.

Believe me I find no enjoyment out of the fact that they do. Superconductor is probably worse than both if that helps any... :)

Speechless here (for once)... :eh:

FBN - 8/10

COS - 2/10

NP - glad to explain!!

Thanks for asking!!

They are both better than Rivendell. FTR I love Dog Years...Virtuality not much.

• Like 1

FBN - 8/10

COS - 2/10

NP - glad to explain!!

Thanks for asking!!

Same! And more than all on the debut and bits and bobs off other seventies albums!

• Like 1

FBN - 8/10

COS - 2/10

NP - glad to explain!!

Thanks for asking!!

Same! And more than all on the debut and bits and bobs off other seventies albums!

SMH...
  • Like 1

FBN - 8/10

COS - 2/10

NP - glad to explain!!

Thanks for asking!!

SMH...

Remember when I said I didn't like FBN? Well give it time, the debut should click with me as well!

Because of your high praise, I revisited FBN and it now ranks in fourth place for me, ahead of VT but behind AFTK, MP and HYF.

FBN - 8/10

COS - 2/10

NP - glad to explain!!

Thanks for asking!!

YES! I like Working Man and Before and After more than Superconductor but otherwise I think Superconductor is a solid enjoyable tune. I never understood why so many people hate it.

• Like 2

FBN - 8/10

COS - 2/10

NP - glad to explain!!

Thanks for asking!!

YES! I like Working Man and Before and After more than Superconductor but otherwise I think Superconductor is a solid enjoyable tune. I never understood why so many people hate it.

Well, it does sound like a radio jingle. But there is more to the song than just the chorus!

• Like 1

FBN - 8/10

COS - 2/10

NP - glad to explain!!

Thanks for asking!!

Well, it does sound like a radio jingle. But there is more to the song than just the chorus!

I love the whole song, I think it's my favorite off of Presto.

FBN - 8/10

COS - 2/10

NP - glad to explain!!

Thanks for asking!!

:facepalm: :LOL: ...
  • Like 1

FBN - 8/10

COS - 2/10

NP - glad to explain!!

Thanks for asking!!

:facepalm: :LOL: ...

Yes Narps, we get it. :eyeroll:

FBN - 8/10

COS - 2/10

NP - glad to explain!!

Thanks for asking!!

Yes, thats exactly it. To my ears the lyrics on both songs are just horrible an the music is almost as bad. In addition, the are on TFE. The recording quality on TFE should have been a warning sign of the brick walling that was to come on VT. To my ears the recording quality on TFE was the worst (IMO) of any Rush album to that point and was, in retrospect, a warning sigh of what was to come. So that adds on to the horrible lyrics and poor music. Ouch is the result. Pity since the rest of TFE is actually decent.

Again, thats just my reaction to them. If somebody else enjoys them, well, good. Glad somebody gets listening pleasure from them. Obviously I don't.

FBN - 8/10

COS - 2/10

NP - glad to explain!!

Thanks for asking!!

Same here. Not great but its decent - IMO.

• Like 1

FBN - 8/10

COS - 2/10

NP - glad to explain!!

Thanks for asking!!

They are both better than Rivendell. FTR I love Dog Years...Virtuality not much.

Now I'am the one who is scratching his head. To me the strength of FBN is the title track & By-Tor. The next level of (very strong) songs includes Anthem & Beneath, Between & Behind. Then you get some decent songs and those include Rivendell.

Never quite figured out the dislike some have of Rivendell. Yes, its like a very, thin, quiet, soft Rupert Hine song. But I still enjoy it. A real change of pace.

No offense intended, but what makes you dislike Rivendell??

Rivendell is beautiful. I honestly think Fly By Night is one of Rush's best albums now, a near faultless recording!

Making Memories is also embarrassingly overlooked!

• Like 2

Rivendell is beautiful. I honestly think Fly By Night is one of Rush's best albums now, a near faultless recording!

Love that song. It's so upbeat.

• Like 1

FBN - 8/10

COS - 2/10

NP - glad to explain!!

Thanks for asking!!

Now I'am the one who is scratching his head. To me the strength of FBN is the title track & By-Tor. The next level of (very strong) songs includes Anthem & Beneath, Between & Behind. Then you get some decent songs and those include Rivendell.

Never quite figured out the dislike some have of Rivendell. Yes, its like a very, thin, quiet, soft Rupert Hine song. But I still enjoy it. A real change of pace.

It sucks the momentum out of it. Dont you think Garden Road would have fit better right there?

FBN - 8/10

COS - 2/10

NP - glad to explain!!

Thanks for asking!!

Oh by he way. Never worry about offending me. I am pretty impervious to public opinion.

FBN - 8/10

COS - 2/10

NP - glad to explain!!

Thanks for asking!!

Same here. Not great but its decent - IMO.

It's not the best song they've ever done or anything, but It's quite a good, catchy tune!

This! Fly By Night is amazing.

• Like 1

FBN - 8/10

COS - 2/10

NP - glad to explain!!

Thanks for asking!!

It sucks the momentum out of it. Dont you think Garden Road would have fit better right there?

I agree that it definitely slows down the album. But Garden Rd?? Its not horrible, but no thanks. Not my cup of tea. I would stick with the lightweight Rupert Hine work of Rivendell. The you can start building the speed of the album again.

• Like 1

FBN - 8/10

COS - 2/10

NP - glad to explain!!

Thanks for asking!!

I agree that it definitely slows down the album. But Garden Rd?? Its not horrible, but no thanks. Not my cup of tea. I would stick with the lightweight Rupert Hine work of Rivendell. The you can start building the speed of the album again.

Garden Road is great and deserved a proper release but I like the first three albums just fine!