Ken Jennings' Boner Thread (aka, The New Star Trek Thread)

LedRush

New 'Star Trek' series to blast off on CBS streaming service

By Frank Pallotta @frankpallotta

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/money/dam/assets/151011151956-star-trek-780x439.jpg The new "Star Trek" series will premiere in 2017 on CBS' All Access streaming service.

"Star Trek" is about to boldly go online.

A new "Star Trek" television series will arrive in our galaxy in January 2017, CBS announced on Monday.

The new series will have a "special preview broadcast" on the CBS Television Network, but the premiere and first-run episodes of the series will run on the network's digital subscription video on demand platform, "CBS All Access."

This is the first original series developed for CBS' streaming service.

"Star Trek" is one of the most popular franchises in popular culture with an obsessed fan base that is arguably only rivaled by another outer space saga "Star Wars."

With such widespread passionate fans, known as "Trekkies," CBS is hoping that many will now venture to the network's new streaming service in order to take part in the next space adventure.

"Great now I have to subscribe to yet another SVOD service to watch the new 'Star Trek,' which I'll obviously have to do," tweeted Wall Street Journal reporter, Ben Fritz.

The series, which celebrates its 50th anniversary next year, has had about half a dozen television series over its run and multiple films including the 2009 reboot blockbuster, "Star Trek."

"This new series will premiere to the national CBS audience, then boldly go where no first-run 'Star Trek' series has gone before -- directly to its millions of fans through CBS All Access," Marc DeBevoise, executive vice president of CBS Digital Media said in a statement. "We've experienced terrific growth for CBS All Access... We now have an incredible opportunity to accelerate this growth with the iconic 'Star Trek,' and its devoted and passionate fan base, as our first original series."

Alex Kurtzman will serve as executive producer for the new series. Kurtzman co-wrote and produced 2009's film adaptation and its 2013 sequel "Star Trek Into Darkness," both directed by J.J. Abrams.

CBS noted that the new series would not be related to the upcoming film, "Star Trek Beyond," which debuts in theaters next year.

The crew for the new incarnation of the USS Enterprise is not yet know. It's also not clear if the classic spaceship will be involved. But CBS did say that the series will "introduce new characters seeking imaginative new worlds and new civilizations."

I don't care if it's Captain Caitlin Jenner, I'm in.

Seriously though, I hope this isn't a remake, this isn't a continuation of the alternate universe movies, and this isn't a huge deviation from the existing Trek vibe.

I want a return to form. I doubt I'll get it, but I'm still happy to hear the news.

Here's how I feel about the state of the franchise.

Edited by KenJennings
  • Like 3

I don't care if it's Captain Caitlin Jenner, I'm in.

Seriously though, I hope this isn't a remake, this isn't a continuation of the alternate universe movies, and this isn't a huge deviation from the existing Trek vibe.

I want a return to form. I doubt I'll get it, but I'm still happy to hear the news.

Here's how I feel about the state of the franchise.

Brilliant!

Can't get excited if I have no idea what the new show's premise is. If it focuses on a group of young cadets at Starfleet Academy, I'm not interested. If the star is the bastard child of some alien Kirk banged, I'm not interested. No parallel universe with the same character names. No Wil Wheaton. No Kate Mulgrew. No Ferengi. And, believe it or not, no variation of Data.

Can't get excited if I have no idea what the new show's premise is. If it focuses on a group of young cadets at Starfleet Academy, I'm not interested. If the star is the bastard child of some alien Kirk banged, I'm not interested. No parallel universe with the same character names. No Wil Wheaton. No Kate Mulgrew. No Ferengi. And, believe it or not, no variation of Data.

I'd totally be in for the the adventures of Commander Wesley Crusher and Captain Data. Even if they were teaching a group of young cadets in Starfleet Academy...as long as it isn't on earth.

I'd totally be in for the the adventures of Commander Wesley Crusher and Captain Data. Even if they were teaching a group of young cadets in Starfleet Academy...as long as it isn't on earth.

And there'd be plenty of people that would be with you. But everyone I named, I never liked. Yes, that includes Data. And a Starfleet Academy show seems more like some teen drama crap that goes nowhere. Star Trek should be about...trekking. ;)

My biggest fear is that the new iteration will be dark and cynical... As long as its not dark and cynical, I'll take what I get.

Why do you hate Klingons?

• Like 1

My biggest fear is that the new iteration will be dark and cynical... As long as its not dark and cynical, I'll take what I get.

As long as they make it with the feel of the first three series' and nothing like the new movies, I'll be very surprised but relieved.

Agreed except the Ferengi, are you an anti-capitalist? Truth is this news is exciting but we know nothing else other than the platform it will air on. I hope they don't dick with the formula much. If they go the Renegade route I'll likely bail early.

Agreed except the Ferengi, are you an anti-capitalist?

I'm anti-nonfunny scenes that were intended to be funny. The scenes with Ferengi just really seemed forced and were usually hard to watch.

They're the comic relief of the Federation for sure and have their moments. The DS9 episode taking place at Area 51 is a hoot.

Yeah I know they were intended to be comic relief. I just never laughed at any of those relief moments. I read a bit before that they were FIRST meant to replace the Klingons as the Federation's enemies. However, their appearance wasn't menacing enough and they wouldn't have been seen as a threat. Soooooo, they were rewritten to be comic relief.

That is how I remember it. In season one of NG there were treated seriously for an episode or two. I'd like the new series to be a five year mission type with out a star base just three hours away.

Some of the best episodes of DS9 centered around the Ferengi.

All I can say is that it's a preference. And I prefer not to have them.

But I'm also a guy that didn't really like ToS' tribbles episode. Also, didn't really like the ST 4 whale movie either...though it was still better than part 3 and a million times better than part 5

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

And there'd be plenty of people that would be with you. But everyone I named, I never liked. Yes, that includes Data. And a Starfleet Academy show seems more like some teen drama crap that goes nowhere. Star Trek should be about...trekking. ;)

YOU NEVER LIKED DATA!?

YOU MONSTER!!

Seriously though, how is that possible?

Some of the best episodes of DS9 centered around the Ferengi.

And I'm always happy to see Wally Shawn as Grand Nagus Zek!

Maybe not the absolute 'best', but for sure they had some good ones like The House of Quark and the one where Quark tries selling weapons.

The Magnificent Ferengi was also pretty good.

But as a whole even if Quark wasn't the main attraction in an episode he did a lot to enhance it just by being in it.

And the Quark / Odo relationship I'd say is one of the best of all Trek.