Guitar newbie looking for pedal recommendations

sun dog

Hi all, I've been a drummer for 30+ years (and I have v-drums), but I've been venturing into guitar over the last couple of years. It's been great fun trying to reproduce Lerxst, and I'm very happy with the tone that I sort of stumbled into. After a great deal of noodling at the music store, I settled on the DS-1, Tera Echo, Super Chorus and Chorus Ensemble (with stereo output), along with the Noise Suppressor (wonderful, btw) and the tuner. My guitar is a strat. Understanding that I could get closer to his tone with another guitar, along with vintage pedals and/or other brands, I'm cool with just getting somewhere near the vicinity of that tone. My favorite periods are the 80s and VT through CA. I'm just wondering if there are any other Boss pedals that might be worth trying. Maybe compression?

I wouldn't worry about a compressor at this point. I've had two, and sold them both in favor of different OD flavors.

Speaking of OD's, you can't go wrong with a Boss Super Overdrive. I had one for years and loved it. Put a Flanger or Chorus after it, and you have some great Alex tones available.

Alex also used Phasers early on, too. I'm not sure which he used, but any four stage Phaser should do the trick. MXR makes a one knob Phaser that is classic. EHX makes a couple of good Phasers as well. Boss makes a Phase Shifter that does classic Phaser sounds and more.

+1 on the Electric Mistress. It's pretty much essential, along with a chorus and a good delay.

Hartman makes a clone of the old Electric Mistress 18v. I own both and the EHX lives in a box in my closet and the Hartman is on my pedal board. Amazing flanger, not another one on the market that even touches it.

I use a multi effects pedalboard so I don't really use any singular pedals. However, I really like the Boss CH-1 Super Chorus or the Boss CE-3 Chorus, Boss SD-1, and of course, the MXR Phase 90.

If early tone what you're after, he just used amp distortion and not much else.

For this I just used a semi-hollow body guitar into a Marshall amp and no overdrive pedals at all. Just a Boss chorus on some parts.

"YYNOT" by billyalexander

on #SoundCloud

Overdrive is distortion. :)

Volume, Wah, Distortion/Amp, Modulation (chorus, phase, flange), Time Domain (delay, reverb). EQ can go anywhere but serve best very early or very late in the signal path. Comps should go before time domain, but really don't act much more than as a boost than as a compressor works in a studio scenario. They work best before the amp, as do preamps.

These days I am processing after the fact: guitar, quality cable, amp, mic, outboard processing. But I used to really like the DigiTech stuff. Had a bunch of RP units (still have one that sits unused). I have an old analog Ibanez multi effects that is my primary modulaion FX. Super creamy phase and flange and wide, smooth chorus. That stuff just doesn't work digitally. Good luck finding true analog modulation boxes anymore.

+1 on the Electric Mistress. It's pretty much essential, along with a chorus and a good delay.

Hartman makes a clone of the old Electric Mistress 18v. I own both and the EHX lives in a box in my closet and the Hartman is on my pedal board. Amazing flanger, not another one on the market that even touches it.

So after much research and digging around I got a hold of the ($$$) Hartman flanger, and while I do agree that it's probably the best flanger around (so much better than the Boss), I actually found that I prefer my current lineup. For whatever reason I just love the warm, full tone that I have with the two choruses, the Tera Echo and distortion. It's got some shades of old and some flanginess about it, but it also feels versatile and modern. It's a lot of fun to try and figure out the next pedal but I haven't found a keeper for a while now. I also tried adaptive distortion but the 'ol DS-1 is imo a better match for the others. The quest continues...