If I Was Geoff Tate I Would Just Grab My Sax And Jump Off A Very Tall Bridge! "CONDITION HUMAN!!!!"

RUSHHEAD666

Meh. The only thing going for this album is that it's produced better than 2013's effort. I know it's cool to hate on Tate, and with good reason. But it's not like they haven't done songs like these before. They had more charged, enthusiastic songs on Mindcrime II and American Soldier if we're going to be honest. So many hate on Promised Land, even though it has some actual soul to it. This new version of the band has no songs like 'Bridge' or 'Out Of Mind' that can actually bring chills with how haunting they sound. I mean, the new album is okay. It is better than their self-titled and Dedicated To Chaos, that's for sure. But it belongs nowhere close to Empire or Promised Land. Those records are massive examples of emotional, hard-hitting songwriting. This new album is like the band wanted to be QR, instead of presenting anything organic.

This is an excellent post. I just listened to the new record again on my commute. I do dig it but of course it will never compare to "Empire" and back. As a drummer I've always loved Scott and I think his drumming simply kicks ass on the new record! "Condition Human" is an excellent effort by a band that should have retired in 1991. To be a broken record. Once Chris left the band it was over.

Ryche without DeGarmo is like Alice in Chains without Cantrell. It's an absolute necessity for the songwriting.

Rushhead, have you heard the EP that DeGarmo and his daughter released under the name "The Rue"? I haven't. I figure that if anyone here has heard it, it'd be you.

• Like 1

I like the new one, quite a bit actually

Bout 4-5 listens

Well Dj I am only on two listens and I agree with you. I like it quite a bit as well. I love the 8 minute title track. AT THE END!

I think the title track is my favorite. This band has had some really good lengthy epics in the past (my favorite being Roads To Madness) so it was nice to see them put forth a song longer than 5-6 minutes again.

I do like Bulletproof a lot too. :)

Sorry to be a negative nanny.

I am a long time QR fan. But my favorite stuff was the Rage thru Promised Land

This new album is nothing....nothing like that period.

The song writing is average at best. The debut with LaTorre had far better and far more memorable hooks than this effort. The production was weak but the songs were much better and had urgency and passion.

The production value of the new album is far higher than the debut but the songwriting is totally forgettable and they are reaching hard to ignite the early 80's sound and even Fates Warning if I may say so.

Everyone has different tastes and expectations. But after really enjoying LaTorre's debut this album really falls flat on the song writing end.

Absolutely nothing truly captivating nor memorable other than 2 songs:

Selfish People and Hellfire are strong tracks.

The rest is all hype and no bite.

Huge letdown 5/10

• Like 2

Meh. The only thing going for this album is that it's produced better than 2013's effort. I know it's cool to hate on Tate, and with good reason. But it's not like they haven't done songs like these before. They had more charged, enthusiastic songs on Mindcrime II and American Soldier if we're going to be honest. So many hate on Promised Land, even though it has some actual soul to it. This new version of the band has no songs like 'Bridge' or 'Out Of Mind' that can actually bring chills with how haunting they sound. I mean, the new album is okay. It is better than their self-titled and Dedicated To Chaos, that's for sure. But it belongs nowhere close to Empire or Promised Land. Those records are massive examples of emotional, hard-hitting songwriting. This new album is like the band wanted to be QR, instead of presenting anything organic.

Spot on post man.

Being a long time fan of the band I can say confidently American Solider blows this album out of the water. Even Mindcrime II is far better. This is better than Dedicated to Crap and QR2K and the very first album of the band (EP) but that's not saying anything.

The songs are just so forgettable.

I donated 10 bucks to them.

However I also picked up Geoff's new album called The Key (under the band name Operation Mindcrime).

It's interesting, it challenges you, and it has those classic QR sounds and structures you want. It is a 3 part concept with two more albums to follow. Production is hit or miss in many spots, a few clunker songs, but overall is a much more interesting and better album than QR's new effort.

I would suggest giving it a few spins. It is not an instant gratification record. But there are some very cool songs on it and I have already listened to the album 5 times through. I was done with the new QR after 2 listens. I never wanted to put it back on.

The Key keeps me coming back for repeated listens to songs I have latched on to. I look forward to more output and the second and third albums (all recorded simultaneously). And yeah it is so in vouge to hate on this guy....but at least he is moving forward with his new project and not trying to recapture the past. I only care about the music. If it's good...it's good.

QR worked best as a whole. I agree when Degarmo left....it was really the beginning of the end. But American Solider and even Tribe were very very solid records.

Edited by Todem

This is an excellent post. I just listened to the new record again on my commute. I do dig it but of course it will never compare to "Empire" and back. As a drummer I've always loved Scott and I think his drumming simply kicks ass on the new record! "Condition Human" is an excellent effort by a band that should have retired in 1991. To be a broken record. Once Chris left the band it was over.

Ryche without DeGarmo is like Alice in Chains without Cantrell. It's an absolute necessity for the songwriting.

Rushhead, have you heard the EP that DeGarmo and his daughter released under the name "The Rue"? I haven't. I figure that if anyone here has heard it, it'd be you.

Hey buddy! Thanks for the tip! NO! I have not heard that EP yet! It's a must!! As much as I am a RYCHEWHORE it is obvious that the band is nothing without Chris. I too have been typing that for over a decade!

Nice Alice comparison. I agree again.

It's like the Scorpions without Uli Roth! LOL!

LOL!

Bon Scott without AC/DC!

Iron Maiden without Paul and Burr!

Accept without UDO although I do admire Mark.

Ozzy Osbourne without Randy.

Dream Theater without Kevin Moore

Primus without Tim Alexander. Glad he's back.

Genesis without Peter Gabriel

Skid Row without Sebastian Bach

Asia without John Wetton. Oh wait, he's back.

Thin Lizzy without Phil

Quiet Riot without Kevin

Motley Crue without Vince

KISS without Ace. Because all Ace songs in KISS RULE!

DOKKEN without George Lynch

RUN DMC without Jam Master Jay

Stevie Ray Vaughan without Double Trouble

Marillion without FISH! Sorry Hogarth fans. BITE ME!

I could go on forever.

So yeah,

Ghost without Tobias Forge! HELL NO!

• Like 2

Spot on post man.

Being a long time fan of the band I can say confidently American Solider blows this album out of the water. Even Mindcrime II is far better. This is better than Dedicated to Crap and QR2K and the very first album of the band (EP) but that's not saying anything.

I don't agree with your assessment of the band's latest release but I do want to say that I do agree that American Soldier and Mindcrime II were actually better than most Ryche fans wanted to give them credit for. Mindcrime II, in particular, was going to be vilified before people even listened to it due to the inevitable comparisons and as a result I always felt that they listened with very biased ears from Day 1. Of course it is not the first Mindcrime but it was, in my mind, far from the "junk" many people labeled it.

• Like 1

I liked their first album sans Tate, but the production is horrible...it sounds like it was recorded in a cave.

if it were recorded in a cave, it would've sounded awesome! I thought that toddryche record sounded like disturbed or some shit.

• Like 1

all retread shit imo. The new guy cant decide if he wants to be Tate or Ray Alder from Fates.

I'll stick with s/t-Empire tyvm. ymmv.

HAHAHAHAHA!! Ok DD! Your post is good. I totally get it. I always thought that Fates was to Ryche as Triumph is to Rush.

I have warmed up to some tracks. At my 10 year old sons request (He loves The Ryche and his favorite albums are of course OM and Empire as they should be IMO) he asked I put it on in the car over this past weekend.

Arrow Of Time

Guardian

Hellfire

Selfish Lives

Eye9

Just Us

Condition Human

All tunes I can listen to driving around with my son. I still think it is an overall weak effort compared to the debut with LaTorre. But it's not a bad album. And again the production is quite stellar. But overall in the entire catalog it does not stack up to most of their previous work save for a few absolute bombs (Dedicated To Shit, QR2K).

• Like 1

I have warmed up to some tracks. At my 10 year old sons request (He loves The Ryche and his favorite albums are of course OM and Empire as they should be IMO) he asked I put it on in the car over this past weekend.

Arrow Of Time

Guardian

Hellfire

Selfish Lives

Eye9

Just Us

Condition Human

All tunes I can listen to driving around with my son. I still think it is an overall weak effort compared to the debut with LaTorre. But it's not a bad album. And again the production is quite stellar. But overall in the entire catalog it does not stack up to most of their previous work save for a few absolute bombs (Dedicated To Shit, QR2K).

YES TODEM!

• Like 1

No it doesn't stack up to RFO--->Empire, but it's a good late career effort, best since PL for sure, maybe best since Empire. Needs more hooks though.

That's where I disagree. I thought they had some better albums than this since then.

I agree about more hooks. Too many songs are missing that. But like I had said....after giving it more spins it is a definite grower. The songs I mentioned above are all fun to rock too and have some great playing and production. Perfect for driving around in the car and getting amped up before a baseball game (my son loves to jam out and get pumped before he plays ball and this album will do that).

It is a polar opposite album compared to Tate's new one, which again is also a decent noble effort.

Hellfire is one of the best tunes they have written in a long time from a pure metal rock standpoint. Selfish Lives is straight out of Empire and could have been on that album.

Seriously the song Hellfire is a sizzling track. My son goes ape shit every time we crank that f***er up.

The album grew on me and the tracks took some time to digest.

7/10 after repeated listens.

• Like 2

F

Is it better than the actual follow-up to Empire [Promised Land...which I think is good-really good for the first half]?

I'm so sorry Johnny! I missed your post!! YES! It's better than "Promised Land!" I promise!!!!

Interesting (stroking beard)

Sums up perfectly how I feel about the new album. I do love Promised Land and i'm not sure what someone could be thinking when they say the new one is better? Probably a case of new album excitement clouding better judgement. Promised Land is a well written original album, with soul and emotion as you said and it stands out because of that. This new album is standard, run of the mill metal. There's no originality or emotion in these songs.

Hmmmm I'm feeling less interested (still stroking beard)

Just grabbed 3 tickets 2nd row for their show with Dokken 2/27 here in South Florida at the Pompano Beach Amphitheater. This will be a Chrsitmas gift for my son who has never seen them (loves the new albums with La Torre) and loves Mindcrime and Empire with passion. He also digs Dokken (loves Dream Warriors, In My Dreams, Into The Fire...you know all their good 80's stuff).

He will be thrilled. Plus I looked at their most recent set-lists from November and October and they play plenty of the standards from Mindcrime and Empire. Sprinkle in some of their new material from Condition Human and we have a f***ing ripping rock show! We are going to Iron Maiden 3 days before that show too!!!

YEAH!!!!!!!

Edited by Todem
  • Like 2