The Caress Of Steel Appreciation Thread

Cygnus 2112

I love certain aspects of the album, but the majority is taken up by a sidelong epic that has some pretty nice moments but isn't in the slightest bit cohesive. I do see it as a major stepping stone for them though, without it, maybe Rush as we know it today does not exist.

Musically overall its meh.

• Like 2

I love it

The Necromancer is RUSH at their Formula 455 Trans Am best

Had they recorded Garden Road and put it on instead of I Think I'm Going Bald, it might very well have been my favorite album

No One At The Bridge is probably the most underappreciated piece of music RUSH ever did, next to Tears .

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/JphWi_GOIao/hqdefault.jpg

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 4

One of my favourite albums, I even have great love for I Think I'm Going Bald. The album just wouldn't be the same without it!

The first album where Rush really came together. I love it a lot.

• Like 2

It ranks among my very favorite. I think the Fountain of Lamneth suite is the most underrated extended piece in the band's entire catalog with the Necromancer probably the second monst underrated extended piece. Lakeside Park is one of the band's great radio-friendly songs and Bastille Day perfectly captures the band's early era hard-rock aggressiveness. Even I Think I'm Going Bald is pretty good once you get past the terrible title. Here's how I rate all Rush albums:

4-studio-chart-i.jpg

• Like 3

Bastille Day- One of my all time favourite songs, a genuine classic and I wish it was more widely adored. Best Rush song of the seventies. 5/5

I Think I'm Going Bald- A great song, fun, silly lyrics, AMAZING guitar work and it really adds a sense of jollity to proceedings. 4.5/5

Lakeside Park- One of my favourite Rush songs, a real beauty and it has a smooth vibe that really agrees with me. 5/5

The Necromancer- Near flawless, I do not enjoy the spoken word parts. They aren't really very easy to understand, and they are just plain goofy. But this is only a teensy blemish on an otherwise grand song. 4/5

The Fountain Of Lamneth- So it doesn't really work perfectly as a side long epic. But to be fair, if these were all separate songs I would still rank it as one of my favourite album sides of the seventies. 5/5

One of my favourite albums by any band ever. 4.5/5

It ranks among my very favorite. I think the Fountain of Lamneth suite is the most underrated extended piece in the band's entire catalog with the Necromancer probably the second monst underrated extended piece. Lakeside Park is one of the band's great radio-friendly songs and Bastille Day perfectly captures the band's early era hard-rock aggressiveness. Even I Think I'm Going Bald is pretty good once you get past the terrible title. Here's how I rate all Rush albums:

4-studio-chart-i.jpg

I love this! Nice choice for number one.

You might as well add Mick to your friends list haha!

By the way what is the album bar after CA?

Edited by Segue Myles

4-studio-chart-i.jpg

I love this! Nice choice for number one.

You might as well add Mick to your friends list haha!

By the way what is the album bar after CA?

It's the average of all their albums. Somehow forgot to label it properly.

I have an entire History of Rush in Chart Form if you want to check it out: http://lifeismusic.me/2015/10/22/the-history-of-rush-in-chart-form/

Easy album to rate for me:

Bastille Day - 10/10

I Think I'm Going Bald - 5/10

Lakeside Park - 9/10

The Necromancer - 7/10

The Fountain Of Lamneth - 10/10

Nice to see Bald not getting the usual 1/10

Now see this album is underrated. People just toss it aside and damn it.........it's so unfair. To me their first memorable album after 2 blah efforts. also some of Al's best guitar work on here for real.

only weak track is i Think I'm going Bald. the 2 epic's......particularly Fountain.......are great.

yes more love for COS.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 3

Now see this album is underrated. People just toss it aside and damn it.........it's so unfair. To me their first memorable album every 2 blah efforts. also some of Al's best guitar work on here for real.

only weak track is i Think I'm going Bald. the 2 epic's......particularly Fountain.......are great.

yes more love for COS.

Mick

I like I Think I'm Going Bald if only for the killer riff and the humor. Whenever I hear Geddy scream "I THINK I'M GOING BALD!" I can't help but crack a smile.

• Like 2

Now see this album is underrated. People just toss it aside and damn it.........it's so unfair. To me their first memorable album every 2 blah efforts. also some of Al's best guitar work on here for real.

yes more love for COS.

Mick

Eugh "But the debut is great as it is Rush and Rush is Rush"

Sorry. It's as generic as RTB. Only it rocks harder.

CoS is just AMAZINGNESS!

And Bald is not a weak song. Ip

• Like 2

yes more love for COS.

Mick

CoS is just AMAZINGNESS!

ok ok i should have said weaker. I like it but not as much as the others.

Mick

• Like 2

yes more love for COS.

Mick

CoS is just AMAZINGNESS!

Mick

tumblr_ljeos6V4ny1qagtwyo1_r3_500.gif

• Like 1

yes more love for COS.

Mick

CoS is just AMAZINGNESS!

Mick

I can agree with that. :)

• Like 2