Is Neil Peart a Selfish Prick?

Union 5-3992

77 members have voted

1. 1. Is Neil Peart a selfish prick?

The future of the band is uncertain. It's very likely that their last show was August 1, 2015. Most of this falls on Neil wanting to retire while the rest of the band are still interested in continuing on. Though the question itself may carry some bias, I'd like to see what the rest of you think.

No, he is not selfish. I can accept that they wanna quit. They have done it for over 40 years.

The only thing that makes me a bit angry/sad/disappointed is that they did not tour for another 2-3 months and did a Europe leg.

• Like 1

No...and to think so is kinda, well...prickish.

And dickish...

Welcome back, Narps! And no, I don't think Neil is selfish about not touring any longer; shoulder problems are terrible. I sometimes think his writings on religion are strange but that wasn't the question! :)

• Like 1

And dickish...

Welcome back, Narps! And no, I don't think Neil is selfish about not touring any longer; shoulder problems are terrible. I sometimes think his writings on religion are strange but that wasn't the question! :)

I think he has always been a bit strange to be frank but I don't begrudge him his retirement in any way. Truth be told after what happened to his wife and daughter we are damn lucky to have gotten what we ultimately did. Not sure many folks could come back from that. I have never lost a child or a wife but both? Good Lord... :(
  • Like 2

And dickish...

I think he has always been a bit strange to be frank but I don't begrudge him his retirement in any way. Truth be told after what happened to his wife and daughter we are damn lucky to have gotten what we ultimately did. Not sure many folks could come back from that. I have never lost a child or a wife but both? Good Lord... :(

Yes, I think that would make most people give up on everything for sure. I'm glad he has found happiness again with his wife and young daughter.

• Like 1

I plan on retiring in about ten years or so.....depending on my health and physical condition (....which is pretty damned good. I outwork guys half my age). After my 47 years of work, I will retire, and I will dare anyone to call me a selfish prick for doing so.

This entire conversation/debate/argument is absurd to the Nth degree. For FORTY YEARS, they've been playing. Any one of them has the right to retire with NO criticisms at all.

Well, the question is not as simple as simple saying "he owes us nothing" because "we" aren't the only ones in this equation.

There are two other guys in the band, a dedicated band of crew members, support teams at the label and the manager and label itself. It is inconceivable that no-one in the "inner circle" will feel bitter about Peart making a presumably unilateral decision that suits him but nobody else.

If reports and anecdotes are to be believed then they will not tour any more. There will be no one off gig, residency, nada. Recording a new album or releasing further live material will not finance the people who work around the edges of the band. The proof that Peart's decision is not totally accepted by the rest of the band is that this was not called "The Farewell Tour" and the proof that Peart has been a dick about it is the fact that they haven't been over to the UK and Europe. An extra couple of months then done forever instead people like me, a committed fan for 40 years, get nothing. If the band had been completely clear, no misdirection about one off gigs or residencies, then I would have ponied up the cash to catch a gig in Canada or the US knowing that it was a kind of justifiable expenditure given the circumstances.

Just to be clear this isn't some childish sense of entitlement, Rush have been a massive part of my life for 40 years. That's longer than I've known my wife, some of my friends, and of course much longer than many of you have been alive. Why should some people get to see the last hurrah and not others? Why should some non fan win tickets to see their final tour but 40 plus year fans get nothing?

The band owes us nothing does it? The one time they could have repaid the loyalty of their incredible fans in full and they fudge it.

Ungrateful and inconsiderate.

• Like 2

The proof that Peart's decision is not totally accepted by the rest of the band is that this was not called "The Farewell Tour"....

The proof that you're wrong: The band has publically stated that they have no interest in doing an official "farewell tour". They consider it cheap and cliche, as so many bands change their minds and do reunion tours.

More proof that you're wrong: Direct quote from Geddy: "There will be no bad guy when the end comes." When Geddy says that no one is a dick, then there's no dick. The only dick is the selfish fan.

Why should some people get to see the last hurrah and not others?

Because that's life. Deal with it. We're lucky that they toured at all. Why not have all fans around the world make demands to have the band tour every continent, just so they can see them one last time? Hell, they should do a full 2-year world tour......NOT.

• Like 1

The proof that Peart's decision is not totally accepted by the rest of the band is that this was not called "The Farewell Tour"....

The proof that you're wrong: The band has publically stated that they have no interest in doing an official "farewell tour". They consider it cheap and cliche, as so many bands change their minds and do reunion tours.

More proof that you're wrong: Direct quote from Geddy: "There will be no bad guy when the end comes." When Geddy says that no one is a dick, then there's no dick. The only dick is the selfish fan.

Why should some people get to see the last hurrah and not others?

Because that's life. Deal with it. We're lucky that they toured at all. Why not have all fans around the world make demands to have the band tour every continent, just so they can see them one last time? Hell, they should do a full 2-year world tour......NOT.

Did you get the opportunity to see them this tour? Did you never say "if this is to be the last I'm going to get the most I can out of it"?

Apparently you believe I am a dick for stating my opinion but the fact that you cannot see my point of view about touring over here shows who the real dick is.

• Like 2

No....

The guy wants to be with his family now. He's been dedicated to the band for over 40 years now. I think I can understand him retiring. :D

Edited by AnEggplant

his books show him to be a condescending entitled misanthropic prick, but whether or not he's actually a selfish prick is harder to tell.

i think the odds are very good that he is based on reading his own descriptions of himself not on him dumping rush.

Well, the question is not as simple as simple saying "he owes us nothing" because "we" aren't the only ones in this equation.

There are two other guys in the band, a dedicated band of crew members, support teams at the label and the manager and label itself. It is inconceivable that no-one in the "inner circle" will feel bitter about Peart making a presumably unilateral decision that suits him but nobody else.

If reports and anecdotes are to be believed then they will not tour any more. There will be no one off gig, residency, nada. Recording a new album or releasing further live material will not finance the people who work around the edges of the band. The proof that Peart's decision is not totally accepted by the rest of the band is that this was not called "The Farewell Tour" and the proof that Peart has been a dick about it is the fact that they haven't been over to the UK and Europe. An extra couple of months then done forever instead people like me, a committed fan for 40 years, get nothing. If the band had been completely clear, no misdirection about one off gigs or residencies, then I would have ponied up the cash to catch a gig in Canada or the US knowing that it was a kind of justifiable expenditure given the circumstances.

Just to be clear this isn't some childish sense of entitlement, Rush have been a massive part of my life for 40 years. That's longer than I've known my wife, some of my friends, and of course much longer than many of you have been alive. Why should some people get to see the last hurrah and not others? Why should some non fan win tickets to see their final tour but 40 plus year fans get nothing?

The band owes us nothing does it? The one time they could have repaid the loyalty of their incredible fans in full and they fudge it.

Ungrateful and inconsiderate.

To be fair I can see this point as well. I still don't begrudge him his retirement and in this position the fence post I am sitting on is getting real uncomfortable too. Yowza! Having not been given what most would consider a "reasonable shot" to say a proper goodbye might leave me a bit put off as well after my 40 years of investment. I just had to drive 4 or 5 hours each way. With me personally however I just don't give a sh*t about that much anymore to begin with and wish the folks who did and still really do could have seen them in my stead...
  • Like 1

It's not anymore of a prick than anyone else that wants to retire at his age.

We all live our lives to serve our best interests first, our families a close second, and everyone else's a distance third.

Anyone that even suggests that fame and fortune come above all else has a f***ed up sense of reality.