Is Neil Peart a Selfish Prick?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
380 replies to this topic

Poll: Is Neil Peart a Selfish Prick? (76 member(s) have cast votes)

Is Neil Peart a selfish prick?

1. Yes (2 votes [2.60%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.60%

2. No (66 votes [85.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 85.71%

3. Kinda (9 votes [11.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.69%

Vote

#61 Fridge

Fridge

The Freezable Fridge™

• Members *
  • 10261 posts
  • Interests:Being a covers band hack
    hillwalking
    Just about anything in the great outdoors

Posted 25 October 2015 - 03:31 PM

View PostEagleMoon, on 25 October 2015 - 03:18 PM, said:

View PostFridge, on 25 October 2015 - 02:53 PM, said:

Think I'll lob a grenade into the convo......

As far as I am concerned, let him retire, but why not replace him for a farewell tour or something?

And I don't want to hear any nonsense that he is irreplaceable, he is not...it's not as if he wrote any of the music, is it?

Many bands have survived the departure of a member, and I don't see why they couldn't if they chose.

Geddy has dramatically improved as a lyricist, and it might even be nice not to have to hear him crowbar an excessive amount of words into each line.

However, if Alex is struggling, then that is a much more serious blow.

You don't consider drums a part of the music? Seriously?

Of course I do, but I think you're being a little disingenuous here, and you know exactly what I mean.

Neil did indeed come up with his drum parts, but he didn't write any riffs on the guitar and keys...he fitted in what he did around them.

I'm not saying it would be the same, but there are many drummers who could have done a good job for them...now, take Geddy or Alex out of the picture and it is indeed, game over

Sponsored Post

#62 fraroc

fraroc

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2612 posts
  • Interests:Rock music, roller coasters, aviation, writing novels,

Posted 25 October 2015 - 03:33 PM

This is Neil's problem, he thinks that everyone will magically be fine with whatever decision he's going to make. Whether it's his fans or bandmates, it doesn't matter, what Neil wants, Neil gets. I shouldn't be too surprised that he's like this, seeing as how the song Anthem and Something For Nothing sort of summarizes his position on life. "Only your opinion matters, it's your life, do what you want." but is it a bad thing to have things done more democratically? Keep the opinions of people close to you in mind?

That's what annoys me about Rush ending it. This was NOT a democratic decision amongst the trio, this was all Neil.

Edited by fraroc, 25 October 2015 - 03:33 PM.

#63 Union 5-3992

Union 5-3992

A Pale Boy with only Half a Brain

• Members *
  • 22380 posts
  • Location:The rich and sunny planet Ursa Minor Beta (or Bradford PA)

Posted 25 October 2015 - 03:39 PM

The band is not a democracy. It never has been. Any member has always had veto power. They never did anything without a unanimous decision

#64 Digital Dad

Digital Dad

The Dad Abides

• Members
  • 10593 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 03:43 PM

View Postfraroc, on 25 October 2015 - 03:33 PM, said:

This is Neil's problem, he thinks that everyone will magically be fine with whatever decision he's going to make. Whether it's his fans or bandmates, it doesn't matter, what Neil wants, Neil gets. I shouldn't be too surprised that he's like this, seeing as how the song Anthem and Something For Nothing sort of summarizes his position on life. "Only your opinion matters, it's your life, do what you want." but is it a bad thing to have things done more democratically? Keep the opinions of people close to you in mind?

That's what annoys me about Rush ending it. This was NOT a democratic decision amongst the trio, this was all Neil.

You are reaching again.

#65 Ancient Ways

Ancient Ways

That's It™ Sig

• Members
  • 16026 posts
  • Interests:Hanging out with my kids, riding my bike, playing guitar.

Posted 25 October 2015 - 03:44 PM

View PostAnEggplant, on 25 October 2015 - 03:12 PM, said:

As far as I am concerned, let him retire, but why not replace him for a farewell tour or something?

And I don't want to hear any nonsense that he is irreplaceable, he is not...it's not as if he wrote any of the music, is it?

Many bands have survived the departure of a member, and I don't see why they couldn't if they chose.

Geddy has dramatically improved as a lyricist, and it might even be nice not to have to hear him crowbar an excessive amount of words into each line.

I get what you're saying, and I agree, however Geddy has stated that he doesn't want to play if the other two guys aren't involved.
And that's a choice geddy made, not Neil.  And if that's what geddy wants I support it

#66 Anthemic

Anthemic

Prime Mover

• Members *
  • 764 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 04:03 PM

View PostAncient Ways, on 25 October 2015 - 03:44 PM, said:

I get what you're saying, and I agree, however Geddy has stated that he doesn't want to play if the other two guys aren't involved.
And that's a choice geddy made, not Neil.  And if that's what geddy wants I support it

that's how geddy feels now but i'll bet after a while he'll be thinking that alex and some other drummer are enough.

#67 Digital Dad

Digital Dad

The Dad Abides

• Members
  • 10593 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 04:05 PM

View PostAnthemic, on 25 October 2015 - 04:03 PM, said:

that's how geddy feels now but i'll bet after a while he'll be thinking that alex and some other drummer are enough.

You guys really need to come to the realization that they are most likely done with any large scale touring.  Just like they said. It's not going to be with a replacement drummer.

#68 Anthemic

Anthemic

Prime Mover

• Members *
  • 764 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 04:22 PM

View PostDigital Dad, on 25 October 2015 - 04:05 PM, said:

You guys really need to come to the realization that they are most likely done with any large scale touring.  Just like they said. It's not going to be with a replacement drummer.

you don't know what's going to happen any more than i do.  i just would prefer to think some day i will see live rush music again played by as many members of rush as still want to play it.  maybe you think i'm foolish for keeping that hope alive but if you knew what rush meant to me and my wife you be less inclined to piss on it.

#69 Digital Dad

Digital Dad

The Dad Abides

• Members
  • 10593 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 04:33 PM

View PostAnthemic, on 25 October 2015 - 04:22 PM, said:

you don't know what's going to happen any more than i do.  i just would prefer to think some day i will see live rush music again played by as many members of rush as still want to play it.  maybe you think i'm foolish for keeping that hope alive but if you knew what rush meant to me and my wife you be less inclined to piss on it.

I'm not pissing on anything, just Reiterating what has been said in the press by the members of the band. Rush means something to all of us and been a huge part of my life since 1987. But it is what it is man. Do t make it something it isn't. Like a lot of others here I do have hope they do something in he future and beleive they will.

#70 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

Cupcake Warrior

• Members
  • 35263 posts
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Paradise Lost
    Nightwish
    HIM
    The Gathering
    Within Temptation
    The Juliana Theory
    Machine Head
    Trivium
    Sonata Arctica
    Jimmy Eat World
    Alter Bridge
    Mekong Delta

Posted 25 October 2015 - 04:52 PM

No.

And Zumbi and Fraroc can cry for days, but time waits for no man and he deserves retirement. If he was a builder, or a garbage man, or a dentist and was the best in any of those fields, we would not be arguing.

#71 AnEggplant

AnEggplant

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1634 posts
  • Interests:Coming up with things to put in my "interests" box.

Posted 25 October 2015 - 04:55 PM

View PostSegue Myles, on 25 October 2015 - 04:52 PM, said:

No.

And Zumbi and Fraroc can cry for days, but time waits for no man and he deserves retirement. If he was a builder, or a garbage man, or a dentist and was the best in any of those fields, we would not be arguing.

This. He doesn't owe us anything. He also shouldn't be obligated to play with his bandmates anymore.

#72 Ancient Ways

Ancient Ways

That's It™ Sig

• Members
  • 16026 posts
  • Interests:Hanging out with my kids, riding my bike, playing guitar.

Posted 25 October 2015 - 04:56 PM

View PostAnthemic, on 25 October 2015 - 04:22 PM, said:

You think rush means more to you than the rest of us here?  Who do you think you are saying something like this?  We ALL want to see them again but (some of us) support whichever decision they make.  Your feeling of entitlement to them is why Neil doesn't want to meet you othe rest of us.

#73 Digital Dad

Digital Dad

The Dad Abides

• Members
  • 10593 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 05:00 PM

deleted

Edited by Digital Dad, 25 October 2015 - 06:11 PM.

#74 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21917 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 25 October 2015 - 07:04 PM

View PostFridge, on 25 October 2015 - 03:31 PM, said:

Of course I do, but I think you're being a little disingenuous here, and you know exactly what I mean.

Neil did indeed come up with his drum parts, but he didn't write any riffs on the guitar and keys...he fitted in what he did around them.

I'm not saying it would be the same, but there are many drummers who could have done a good job for them...now, take Geddy or Alex out of the picture and it is indeed, game over

:facepalm:

#75 Fridge

Fridge

The Freezable Fridge™

• Members *
  • 10261 posts
    hillwalking

Posted 25 October 2015 - 07:06 PM

View PostEagleMoon, on 25 October 2015 - 07:04 PM, said:

Is that the best you can come up with to refute my points?...Really?

#76 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21917 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 25 October 2015 - 07:28 PM

View PostFridge, on 25 October 2015 - 07:06 PM, said:

Sometimes you just have to shake your head at the ignorance.

#77 Union 5-3992

Union 5-3992

A Pale Boy with only Half a Brain

• Members *
  • 22380 posts
  • Location:The rich and sunny planet Ursa Minor Beta (or Bradford PA)

Posted 25 October 2015 - 07:30 PM

Try listening to the newest alum by Black Sabbath. Bill Ward isn't there and you can definitely tell. There's something completely lost without him

#78 Fridge

Fridge

The Freezable Fridge™

• Members *
  • 10261 posts
    hillwalking

Posted 25 October 2015 - 07:33 PM

View PostEagleMoon, on 25 October 2015 - 07:28 PM, said:

Sorry, there was nothing ignorant at all about my post, merely opinion which I backed up...you don't have to agree, but cop out statements like that don't make your point any more valid...so I ask you again, try reasoned argument against my points, or forfeit any respect for your opinion.

#79 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21917 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 07:39 PM

View PostFridge, on 25 October 2015 - 07:33 PM, said:

View PostEagleMoon, on 25 October 2015 - 07:28 PM, said:

Sorry, there was nothing ignorant at all about my post, merely opinion which I backed up...you don't have to agree, but cop out statements like that don't make your point any more valid...so I ask you again, try reasoned argument against my points, or forfeit any respect for your opinion.

Tell me how you legitimately backed anything up with facts and I'll give your comment due consideration.

#80 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

Cupcake Warrior

• Members
  • 35263 posts
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Paradise Lost
    Nightwish
    HIM
    The Gathering
    Within Temptation
    The Juliana Theory
    Machine Head
    Trivium
    Sonata Arctica
    Jimmy Eat World
    Alter Bridge
    Mekong Delta

Posted 25 October 2015 - 07:43 PM

All this arguing is starting to make Apocalypse Now feel like a rom com!

Let Neil retire.

All who say otherwise are even more selfish than what they accuse him of being.

A man wants to live his life. A bunch of nobodies who claim to love his art boo and hiss.

Meh.

Edited by Segue Myles, 25 October 2015 - 07:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users