Is Neil Peart a Selfish Prick?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
380 replies to this topic

Poll: Is Neil Peart a Selfish Prick? (76 member(s) have cast votes)

Is Neil Peart a selfish prick?

1. Yes (2 votes [2.60%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.60%

2. No (66 votes [85.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 85.71%

3. Kinda (9 votes [11.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.69%

Vote

#41 Tony R

Tony R

Prog Archivist

• Members *
  • 16913 posts
  • Interests:stuff

Posted 25 October 2015 - 01:49 PM

Has anyone else got a point of view other than this complete idiot?

Sponsored Post

#42 Digital Dad

Digital Dad

The Dad Abides

• Members
  • 10260 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 01:58 PM

View PostTony R, on 25 October 2015 - 01:46 PM, said:

View PostDigital Dad, on 25 October 2015 - 01:43 PM, said:

View PostTony R, on 25 October 2015 - 01:39 PM, said:

View PostDigital Dad, on 25 October 2015 - 01:36 PM, said:

View PostTony R, on 25 October 2015 - 12:00 PM, said:

View Postgrep, on 25 October 2015 - 11:57 AM, said:

Yeah, and I'm pissed at my mentor for retiring and getting out of IT and dropping off the grid.

Becasue i can't pick his brain anymore and ask him for advice.

Not.   Totally respect his decisions for his life.

Again, there are other people dependent on him and in the absence of being able to force him what can the other members of the band do?
Clearly Geddy would have preferred to spread the tour further afield, what about his decisions about his life?

Ehh. The only people in the slightest bit dependent on Neil are his wife and young daughter.

That's a bit naive. The band relies on all three wanting to tour, clearly the other two are dependant on Peart's consent.

No it isn't. You have a family right??
Almost everybody has a family. They also have commitments outside of the family.

To whom? Nearly everyone who works for the band has to find other work when Rush isn't touring. I don't really see how your argument holds any merit.

#43 Digital Dad

Digital Dad

The Dad Abides

• Members
  • 10260 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 02:00 PM

View PostTony R, on 25 October 2015 - 01:49 PM, said:

Wow. I don't anything else needs to be said.

#44 Tony R

Tony R

Prog Archivist

• Members *
  • 16913 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 02:00 PM

View PostDigital Dad, on 25 October 2015 - 02:00 PM, said:

View PostTony R, on 25 October 2015 - 01:49 PM, said:

Wow. I don't anything else needs to be said.

Indeed fanboy.

#45 New_World_Man

New_World_Man

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 866 posts
  • Interests:Music, internet, reading, outdoors, movies, etc.

Posted 25 October 2015 - 02:18 PM

From what I understand it's not just Neil and even if he is the main reason for wanting to retire so what? I think the band respect the fact that he has certain physical limitations now and also wants to concentrate on raising a young child(a daughter if I'm not mistaken). Anyway, no I don't think he's a selfish prick.

The one thing that is disappointing is there was no major announcement. Their decision to retire from touring(and I believe that's all it is)was whispered in the grape vine. It wasn't like with the Grateful Dead. There was no big announcement. So in that sense it kind of feels like they went out with a wimper and not a bang.

#46 AnEggplant

AnEggplant

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1634 posts
  • Interests:Coming up with things to put in my "interests" box.

Posted 25 October 2015 - 02:19 PM

View PostTony R, on 25 October 2015 - 05:30 AM, said:

Rush have been a massive part of my life for 40 years. That's longer than I've known my wife, some of my friends, and of course much longer than many of you have been alive. Why should some people get to see the last hurrah and not others? Why should some non fan win tickets to see their final tour but 40 plus year fans get nothing?
The band owes us nothing does it? The one time they could have repaid the loyalty of their incredible fans in full and they fudge it.
Ungrateful and inconsiderate.

They made the music they wanted to make. Some people really enjoyed it and continued to support it, but the band doesn't owe them anything. There was no deal that said 'you buy our albums, and we'll play concerts for you'. They didn't play in your area? Too bad. That sucks, but the band has no legal or moral obligation to play music at all.

Edited by AnEggplant, 25 October 2015 - 02:20 PM.

#47 Digital Dad

Digital Dad

The Dad Abides

• Members
  • 10260 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 02:24 PM

View PostNew_World_Man, on 25 October 2015 - 02:18 PM, said:

From what I understand it's not just Neil and even if he is the main reason for wanting to retire so what? I think the band respect the fact that he has certain physical limitations now and also wants to concentrate on raising a young child(a daughter if I'm not mistaken). Anyway, no I don't think he's a selfish prick.

The one thing that is disappointing is there was no major announcement. Their decision to retire from touring(and I believe that's all it is)was whispered in the grape vine. It wasn't like with the Grateful Dead. There was no big announcement. So in that sense it kind of feels like they went out with a wimper and not a bang.

If you mean the original Dead then yes. Jerry died. That was it. He was the one who kept that train going because he didn't want to cheat people out of their livelihoods. There is an inherent problem with this line of thinking. It's a slippery slope but I don't want Neil to just hang on like Jerry. It ultimately led to his undoing. Going out on top is the absolute correct way to go.

#48 Narps

Narps

Official TRF Pace Car Driver

• Members
  • 27720 posts
  • Interests:Exercise, my children, my new grandchildren(twin boys), the rest of my life...

Posted 25 October 2015 - 02:24 PM

Edited by Narps, 25 October 2015 - 02:26 PM.

#49 New_World_Man

New_World_Man

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 02:29 PM

View PostDigital Dad, on 25 October 2015 - 02:24 PM, said:

If you mean the original Dead then yes. Jerry died. That was it. He was the one who kept that train going because he didn't want to cheat people out of their livelihoods. There is an inherent problem with this line of thinking. It's a slippery slope but I don't want Neil to just hang on like Jerry. It ultimately led to his undoing. Going out on top is the absolute correct way to go.

No, actually I was referring to their recent farewell concerts this year.

I agree with you about going out on top. The thing is from what I understand they are not breaking up. I get the feeling a lot of fans don't like this grey area and would rather have the band just call it quits entirely. However, look at the Beatles. They stopedp touring in 1966 and still had a few more years left in them. A lot of bands seem to do it for the live performances(financial or otherwise)and so just recording and not touring is not an option but to each their own.

Edited by New_World_Man, 25 October 2015 - 02:29 PM.

#50 Ancient Ways

Ancient Ways

That's It™ Sig

• Members
  • 15992 posts
  • Interests:Hanging out with my kids, riding my bike, playing guitar.

Posted 25 October 2015 - 02:41 PM

View PostDigital Dad, on 25 October 2015 - 02:24 PM, said:

It has nothing to do with going out on top or hanging on too long.  If you love touring and have no other considerations then why sit at home and not do what you love just because you hit a certain age?  On the flip side, if you have other considerations (such as young child) you shouldn't worry about the band.  No one is stopping geddy or Alex from doing whatever they want to do.  They can record, the can produce, they can perform.

#51 toymaker

toymaker

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 5896 posts
  • Interests:Songwriting and recording, cycling, movies, guitar and bass collecting

Posted 25 October 2015 - 02:45 PM

View PostNarps, on 25 October 2015 - 02:24 PM, said:

Your avatar says it all, I think!

#52 Tony R

Tony R

Prog Archivist

• Members *
  • 16913 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 02:47 PM

Posted Image

#53 Narps

Narps

• Members
  • 27720 posts
  • Interests:Exercise, my children, my new grandchildren(twin boys), the rest of my life...

Posted 25 October 2015 - 02:52 PM

View Posttoymaker, on 25 October 2015 - 02:45 PM, said:

View PostNarps, on 25 October 2015 - 02:24 PM, said:

Your avatar says it all, I think!
Guess so. I miss timed my :eyeroll: so it didn't make any sense at that point...

#54 Fridge

Fridge

The Freezable Fridge™

• Members *
  • 9841 posts
  • Interests:Being a covers band hack
    hillwalking
    Just about anything in the great outdoors

Posted 25 October 2015 - 02:53 PM

Think I'll lob a grenade into the convo......

As far as I am concerned, let him retire, but why not replace him for a farewell tour or something?

And I don't want to hear any nonsense that he is irreplaceable, he is not...it's not as if he wrote any of the music, is it?

Many bands have survived the departure of a member, and I don't see why they couldn't if they chose.

Geddy has dramatically improved as a lyricist, and it might even be nice not to have to hear him crowbar an excessive amount of words into each line.

However, if Alex is struggling, then that is a much more serious blow.

#55 New_World_Man

New_World_Man

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 03:12 PM

Replace Neil? You're kidding right?

I actually kind of get what you're saying though. However, if Geddy and Alex continued I can pretty much guarantee they wouldn't call the band RUSH. Even though Neil wasn't an original member his footprints go pretty deep and he definitely put his stamp on the band. It's pretty inconceivable(at least to me) at this point that the band would continue as RUSH without Neil.

#56 AnEggplant

AnEggplant

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1634 posts
  • Interests:Coming up with things to put in my "interests" box.

Posted 25 October 2015 - 03:12 PM

View PostFridge, on 25 October 2015 - 02:53 PM, said:

As far as I am concerned, let him retire, but why not replace him for a farewell tour or something?

And I don't want to hear any nonsense that he is irreplaceable, he is not...it's not as if he wrote any of the music, is it?

Many bands have survived the departure of a member, and I don't see why they couldn't if they chose.

Geddy has dramatically improved as a lyricist, and it might even be nice not to have to hear him crowbar an excessive amount of words into each line.

I get what you're saying, and I agree, however Geddy has stated that he doesn't want to play if the other two guys aren't involved.

#57 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21764 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 25 October 2015 - 03:18 PM

You don't consider drums a part of the music? Seriously?

#58 librarian

librarian

Aquarian Librarian

• Members
  • 5714 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 03:18 PM

No. I wish him happiness in the next chapter of his life. Alex and Geddy also.

Edited by librarian, 25 October 2015 - 03:23 PM.

#59 Narps

Narps

• Members
  • 27720 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 03:21 PM

Incoming!!!! :lol: Wouldn't bother me a bit. At least for me at a certain age you just want to be entertained and sentimentality be damned... :codger:

#60 toymaker

toymaker

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 5896 posts
  • Interests:Songwriting and recording, cycling, movies, guitar and bass collecting

Posted 25 October 2015 - 03:23 PM

I think the idea of Rush is pretty much completely bound up with the three guys in it.  40 years.  There are tons of other bands who've had line-up changes but not usually after 40 years.  And for the bands who are making changes, they're already used to it - part of the history of bands like Yes and Genesis are lineup changes ever few years or so.  I think for Rush, the band and the friendship are bound together cohesively.  At least, that's my impression.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users