Is Neil Peart a Selfish Prick?

Union 5-3992

77 members have voted

1. 1. Is Neil Peart a selfish prick?

I don't know why all this retirement talk is going on. I thought this was all about Neil not wanting to extend R40, not retiring. It was billed as the last tour of this magnitude, not the last time Rush will ever perform live. Geddy and Alex mentioned they have ideas where Rush can perform live again, such as a residency. Why would they think such thoughts in the press if Neil was retiring from playing live with Rush. I even saw you comment pages back where you sounded hopeful Neil would perform live with Rush again.

I looked at FOH's posts in this thread, and I now see that he mentioned "3 more months and a European leg", then mentioned "three more weeks", implying that they would go to Europe for 3 weeks before concluding the tour. My supposition was that's the three weeks they were to head to Europe, in August, after The LA Forum show. Confusing, FOH is. All he ultimately did was muddy the waters for me, and I assumed at least he knew what he was taking out when it came to tours. 3 weeks, 3 months.. I guess not so much if he couldn't keep the story straight. At any rate, FOH appears to have taken his ball and gone home (as he suggested Neil was doing). Eh, whatever.

At any rate, the voters have decided decisively. Neil is definitely not a prick. Now I'll do my part to let this thread die. The thread title absolutely sucks and promotes never-ending discord.

Dear god, confusion between months and weeks? The horror, this completely discredits everything.

I knew I should have added, "no personal offense intended to OP" at the end there. Sorry for the omit :)

I don't know why all this retirement talk is going on. I thought this was all about Neil not wanting to extend R40, not retiring. It was billed as the last tour of this magnitude, not the last time Rush will ever perform live. Geddy and Alex mentioned they have ideas where Rush can perform live again, such as a residency. Why would they think such thoughts in the press if Neil was retiring from playing live with Rush. I even saw you comment pages back where you sounded hopeful Neil would perform live with Rush again.

I looked at FOH's posts in this thread, and I now see that he mentioned "3 more months and a European leg", then mentioned "three more weeks", implying that they would go to Europe for 3 weeks before concluding the tour. My supposition was that's the three weeks they were to head to Europe, in August, after The LA Forum show. Confusing, FOH is. All he ultimately did was muddy the waters for me, and I assumed at least he knew what he was taking out when it came to tours. 3 weeks, 3 months.. I guess not so much if he couldn't keep the story straight. At any rate, FOH appears to have taken his ball and gone home (as he suggested Neil was doing). Eh, whatever.

At any rate, the voters have decided decisively. Neil is definitely not a prick. Now I'll do my part to let this thread die. The thread title absolutely sucks and promotes never-ending discord.

Dear god, confusion between months and weeks? The horror, this completely discredits everything.

I knew I should have added, "no personal offense intended to OP" at the end there. Sorry for the omit :)

I actually missed that last line, but my topic was created in anger due to one person's irrational hatred of Neil. Not a well formed argument, literally the comment, "f**k Neil"

a short and specific window of time he wanted to spend with her as a reason to retire would be stupid.

Neil`s stupid decision could have given his daughter a lifetime of wonderful memories.

oh for god's sweet sake i did not say i thought Neil was stupid

I know, but you did infer the decision was stupid. ;)

can't wait to come back later and see what wild misinterpretations this post generates!

I can`t wait either. :)

a short and specific window of time he wanted to spend with her as a reason to retire would be stupid.

Neil`s stupid decision could have given his daughter a lifetime of wonderful memories.

oh for god's sweet sake i did not say i thought Neil was stupid

I know, but you did infer the decision was stupid. ;)

can't wait to come back later and see what wild misinterpretations this post generates!

I can`t wait either. :)

look above. you did not disappoint!

is reading comprehension no longer taught in schools or was my post in the unpopular opinions thread even more accurate than i thought?

neil wanting to spend time with his daughter before she starts school is a stupid excuse to NO NEGOTIATION EVER PLAY IN EUROPE EVER AGAIN.

Maybe I am missing something....

Anyway, I have no idea what you posted in the unpopular opinion thread, but I also think Vapor Trails is on of Rush`s best albums, bricks and all. :D

neil wanting to spend time with his daughter before she starts school is a stupid excuse to NO NEGOTIATION EVER PLAY IN EUROPE EVER AGAIN.

Maybe I am missing something....

Anyway, I have no idea what you posted in the unpopular opinion thread, but I also think Vapor Trails is on of Rush`s best albums, bricks and all. :D

congratulations on proving that you understand how to use selective quoting to make it appear that i said something other than what i said. very well done, you have a brilliant future in politics with that kind of intellectual dishonesty and ability at finding things to take out of context to support your stance.

then also, those quotes are about an assumption that is not known to be true, so actually only one of those quotes supports your stance out of context as the other contains the phrase 'would be,' firmly establishing that it is not a statement of truth but rather an opinion on the validity of an unproven hypothesis.

by the way, you meant imply, not infer, but who in this day and age gives a damn about what words actually mean?

we do have one thing in common though, i love vapor trails!

Edited by Anthemic

This thread has become funny at this point.

it's been funny since page 1!

I agree. None of us know what any of the band's feelings towards each other are, none of us know the circumstances surrounding Neil's desire to retire, so it's pointless to talk about whether or not he's selfish.

• Like 1

I haven't read anything like: "Neil Peart, I am retiring".

Please show me some evidence-don't care one way or the other really. Doesn't matter.

Let's hear from this nut-job: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Virtue_of_Selfishness

Or from this dude, is this the perfect song? This is the soundtrack to my existance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5gg9ObM8uU

Geddy and I will get together and see if Neil's ready for it, and take it from there"

and your point is....?

Something you'd love to get your hands on?

My point is that new stuff on its way, eventually.

• Like 1

... That's the thing' date=' the human thing. It's the three of us and we've always made decisions that way. It has to be unanimous and if it isn't then you work hard to try and make it so. If not then you defer to the one outside. And in this case I think it's pretty obvious that Neil doesn't want to tour any more and that's fine and I understand. He's got some really good reasons: it's painful, it's hard, it's not joyful for him, it's difficult and it hurts his body and it hurts his brain and I totally get it. I'm fine with that.

I just wish we'd been able to do another 20 shows or so and it's too bad that we're going to miss the UK particularly. It just feels a little shy of a true finish, a complete resolution. But if that's the way it is then we'll adjust to it. I think we need to have a little space, a little time off to regroup and think about what we want to do in the future. [/quote']

So 2 of them wanted to come to the UK and Peart didn't. Lifeson says "it feels a little shy of a true finish".

... That's the thing' date=' the human thing. It's the three of us and we've always made decisions that way. It has to be unanimous and if it isn't then you work hard to try and make it so. If not then you defer to the one outside. And in this case I think it's pretty obvious that Neil doesn't want to tour any more and that's fine and I understand. He's got some really good reasons: it's painful, it's hard,[b'] it's not joyful for him,[/b] it's difficult and it hurts his body and it hurts his brain and I totally get it. I'm fine with that.

I just wish we'd been able to do another 20 shows or so and it's too bad that we're going to miss the UK particularly. It just feels a little shy of a true finish, a complete resolution. But if that's the way it is then we'll adjust to it. I think we need to have a little space, a little time off to regroup and think about what we want to do in the future.

So 2 of them wanted to come to the UK and Peart didn't. Lifeson says "it feels a little shy of a true finish".

Does this alter your desire to see them if they do eventually decide to perform abroad ?

I don't think Neil would do anything out of obligation - either because of the fans or bandmates - however, considering this quote, it does seem that the vibe and enthusiasm coming from the band ( in particular, Neil ) would make it uncomfortable as a fan ..

"ok, let's just get this over with so I can move on to what is actually joyful in my life"

• Like 1

I'm not trying to be a wise ass, but what does he mean that it "hurts his brain"?

Only he really knows what that means but I took it to mean he doesn't want to tour anymore. He's wants his life to be elsewhere.