Is Neil Peart a Selfish Prick?

Union 5-3992

77 members have voted

1. 1. Is Neil Peart a selfish prick?

Meanwhile Pratt is completely oblivious to this debate, and is off happily living his life.

and your point is?

I believe his point is that our "debate" is meaningless. Geddy, Alex and Neil are living their lives, and they are completely unaware of and unaffected by our bickering. We should drop it and move on, as it's not doing us any good.

yeah, so? the same thing could be said about everything on the internet!

Meanwhile Pratt is completely oblivious to this debate, and is off happily living his life.

and your point is?

I believe his point is that our "debate" is meaningless. Geddy, Alex and Neil are living their lives, and they are completely unaware of and unaffected by our bickering. We should drop it and move on, as it's not doing us any good.

Or wasting our time arguing in real life.

Live for yourself...there's no one else

More worth living for

Begging hands and bleeding hearts will only cry out for more

Well, I know they've always told you

Selfishness was wrong

Yet it was for me, not you, I came to write this song

• Like 1

and your point is?

i will never understand people who try to tell other people to stop talking about things on the internet :huh:

• Like 3

and your point is?

i will never understand people who try to tell other people to stop talking about things on the internet :huh:

I mean no disrespect. I just can't understand why a discussion would go past a certain point, and why people are compelled to do so, over something so trivial. Carry on.... have at it. I'm just asking questions and trying to make a point.

and your point is?

I mean no disrespect. I just can't understand why a discussion would go past a certain point, and why people are compelled to do so, over something so trivial. Carry on.... have at it. I'm just asking questions and trying to make a point.

hahaha if meaningless discussions didn't regularly go past the point of ridiculousness internet forums would not exist.

and your point is?

hahaha if meaningless discussions didn't regularly go past the point of ridiculousness internet forums would not exist.

They would, but they'd be easier to read. More concise.

Carry on :)

and your point is?

Grep, this is a Rush Forum designed so that fans can discuss the minutiae of Rush the band and all things associated. If we cannot discuss Rush events, speculation and trivia here then they might as well close the site down.

Your "point" in that context makes no sense whatsoever.

• Like 2

I abstain from voting! The word "selfish" doesn't correlate with "prick." Neil is absolutely selfish, as he should be. However, no, I don't think he's being a prick in any way. He's given a ton to both the band and the fans, and 40 years is a fantastic career if you ask me. Neil has more than earned his retirement. I desperately hope he gains inspiration to write a new album, but if not, The Garden was a beautiful way to end a beautiful career.
  • Like 1

and your point is?

Then let's abandon the Internet and get back to having lives, shall we? ;)

Have any of you ever not been selfish?

I'm not religious by any means, but didnt God's kid once say "he who is without sin be the first to cast the stone"?

have you done a 180 and are on neil's side now?

No, I'm just saying to look at yourselves before looking at me or Zumbi with accusation in your eyes

Yes, I quoted an Ozzy song.

and your point is?

Agreed. As if simply no longer reading a thread that's irritating them isn't an option.

I've only seen one person actually suggest that Neil is selfish for wanting to retire now and that he should keep going.

Everyone else seems to understand and support his right to hang it up, especially given what he's been through. Some are just saying they wish Neil wouldn't have been so rigid in only allowing 35 shows in 2 neighboring countries to be the complete farewell for a 40 year-old band that's huge worldwide. That's NOT the same as "demanding" he get back out now, just disappointment that he chose *at the time the tour was planned* to not participate in a longer goodbye. Ancient history that can't be changed, sure. But I don't believe people expressing that disappointment should be slammed as "selfish" by the judgment police (especially by people who did get to see an R40 show). We are all fans of the same band, right?

What I'm especially tired of are the rants (by one person in particular) that if you so much as wish that there's another Rush show someday, you are a greedy a-hole who doesn't appreciate the 40 years you got and you must wish for Neil to writhe in constant pain. Such a ridiculously extreme overreaction and judgment (by another supposed Rush fan). Neil appears to be completely done and good for him if he's happy that way. And if he does ever play another gig with Rush, it will be because HE chooses to, not because a couple fans on a Rush discussion board (who apparently have the power to force him back on the road if they talk about it enough online, according to some) wouldn't let him retire in peace.

• Like 2

and your point is?

hahaha every day i wake up resolving to do that, and every day, I fail!

and your point is?

Agreed. As if simply no longer reading a thread that's irritating them isn't an option.

I've only seen one person actually suggest that Neil is selfish for wanting to retire now and that he should keep going.

Everyone else seems to understand and support his right to hang it up, especially given what he's been through. Some are just saying they wish Neil wouldn't have been so rigid in only allowing 35 shows in 2 neighboring countries to be the complete farewell for a 40 year-old band that's huge worldwide. That's NOT the same as "demanding" he get back out now, just disappointment that he chose *at the time the tour was planned* to not participate in a longer goodbye. Ancient history that can't be changed, sure. But I don't believe people expressing that disappointment should be slammed as "selfish" by the judgment police (especially by people who did get to see an R40 show). We are all fans of the same band, right?

What I'm especially tired of are the rants (by one person in particular) that if you so much as wish that there's another Rush show someday, you are a greedy a-hole who doesn't appreciate the 40 years you got and you must wish for Neil to writhe in constant pain. Such a ridiculously extreme overreaction and judgment (by another supposed Rush fan). Neil appears to be completely done and good for him if he's happy that way. And if he does ever play another gig with Rush, it will be because HE chooses to, not because a couple fans on a Rush discussion board (who apparently have the power to force him back on the road if they talk about it enough online, according to some) wouldn't let him retire in peace.

Another thing I'd like to add, I do f***ing NOT hate Neil. I'm dissapointed and angry at him for dragging Geddy and Alex into retirement but that does not mean that I hate him. If you think I hate Neil Peart, get that thought the f**k out of your head.

hahaha every day i wake up resolving to do that, and every day, I fail!

I remember life before the Internet. It wasn't all that bad! :sundog: I spent most of my free time going to the gym.... :ebert: ......or going to the bars..... :boo hiss:

• Like 1

Neil isn`t being a prick, but he`s being very shorted-sighted about how he is exiting from this incarnation of Rush.

How exactly do you know Neil is being "shorted-sighted." Do you know the intimate details of his personal life or something??
  • Like 2

He's a 62 year old guy who is ready to retire. He's worked his ass off and been lucky enough that it has been something he enjoyed. They're going out on their own terms, when they decide to, at the top of their game imo.

Hell, I wish I was a selfish prick if that's what one looks like.

• Like 2

Neil isn`t being a prick, but he`s being very shorted-sighted about how he is exiting from this incarnation of Rush.

How exactly do you know Neil is being "shorted-sighted." Do you know the intimate details of his personal life or something??

Exactly. The band has been preparing for this moment for years. They've done the last few albums/tours one at a time. They take a break after the tour, and then they decide what they want to do. If everyone is good to go, then they make another album and tour. Today, they're not all good to go. It's time to call it a day.....at least in terms of touring.

This has been the opposite of "short-sightedness". It's been responsible management of a rock & roll career.

• Like 1