Roll The Bones vs Counterparts

AnEggplant

50 members have voted

1. 1. Which reigns supreme?

I can't listen to RTB. Weakest production job ever.......and people pick on presto, lol. RTB is like Rush- the girl group, lol

Mick

:boo hiss:

I never pick on Presto. It's fantastic.

But I love Roll the Bones, too!

(Except for You Bet Your Life)

I can't listen to RTB. Weakest production job ever.......and people pick on presto, lol. RTB is like Rush- the girl group, lol

Mick

I almost agree, but Presto's production is awful. It sounds just as weak as Roll The Bones if not more. I do like Presto, definitely more than I do Roll The Bones, but the production bothers me just as much in each.

• Like 1

Mick

I almost agree, but Presto's production is awful. It sounds just as weak as Roll The Bones if not more. I do like Presto, definitely more than I do Roll The Bones, but the production bothers me just as much in each.

i agree presto could use work. but nothing will ever be as weak as RTB.

lol

Mick

• Like 2

Mick

RTB has a similar production to Presto, but the album is better in almost every way, including that the songs are more guitar-centric.

Mick

RTB has a similar production to Presto, but the album is better in almost every way, including that the songs are more guitar-centric.

:tsk:

Roll The Bones only has 2 decent tracks. Presto has at least 9.

• Like 2

Mick

sorry........uh.........no it isn't.

Mick

• Like 2

Roll the Bones overcomes bad production and a tinny sound with great songs, while Counterparts jumps on the grunge trend and disposes of an instrument that had become an iconic part of the RUSH sound and a huge reason why their popularity increased exponentially starting in the very early 80s, synthesizers. Edited by diatribein

Roll the Bones overcomes bad production and a tinny sound with great songs, while Counterparts jumps on the grunge trend and disposes of an instrument that had become an iconic part of the RUSH sound and a huge reason why their popularity increased exponentially starting in the very early 80s, synthesizers.

What songs on CP could be considered "grunge" other than maybe SIO? And how many "grunge" bands used synthesizers?

Roll the Bones overcomes bad production and a tinny sound with great songs, while Counterparts jumps on the grunge trend and disposes of an instrument that had become an iconic part of the RUSH sound and a huge reason why their popularity increased exponentially starting in the very early 80s, synthesizers.

What songs on CP could be considered "grunge" other than maybe SIO? And how many "grunge" bands used synthesizers?

Exactly my point!

There is practically no use of synthesizers in grunge, hence the elimination of synth use for RUSH on Counterparts in order to better fit in with the prevailing trend.

Off the top of my head I would say that Stick It Out, Double Agent, and Cut to the Chase all subscribe to grunge writing conventions. Nobody's Hero, although great, is a ballad that fits into more of a grunge style than ballads on previous albums while Speed Of Love also falls into many of those same trappings far less gracefully, and Alien Shore is also not without some elements that are reminiscent of grunge. Overall the feel of the album is a stylistic departure from previous albums that comes off as an attempt to appeal to a record buying public spending money on Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and most notably Alice In Chains. Whether they managed to clone the grunge sound or not is not up to debate (they did not - they are still RUSH). What is clear is that an effort to fit in with a grunge dominated roster of artists was made, and the songwriting suffered for it, in my opinion.

Edited by diatribein

I've often found Grunge a handy term to describe bands that came from the Seattle area around the early nineties, no matter what style of music they played.

Seriously, how are Pearl Jam and Nirvana even close to playing the same style of rock? And don't get me started on Soundgarden.

Still, if you want to subscribe to the term as an accurate description of those bands, let alone as an actual style of music, the riff to Stick It Out is actually pretty similar to one of the riffs on Pearl Jam's Vs. ...though I don't know which came out first. That's as close as I think Rush came to "Grunge" on Counterparts. The rest is them fully admitting to what they had hinted at on the past two albums: playing alternative rock (in a broader sense, as alternative rock is also a sucky label for a style of music). I for one have definitely heard some R.E.M. Influences on RTB and CP.

Also RTB's production and songwriting was seriously dated by the time of its release. If they had failed to change their sound and approach on the next album to something more aware of the times, it wouldn't have just been embarrasing like RTB, it would've been downright shocking and appalling. So, whether it was a conscious response to grunge or not, CP needed that kind of sound for anyone to get behind it at the time.

CP wins this easily for me by the way.

I've often found Grunge a handy term to describe bands that came from the Seattle area around the early nineties, no matter what style of music they played.

Seriously, how are Pearl Jam and Nirvana even close to playing the same style of rock? And don't get me started on Soundgarden.

Still, if you want to subscribe to the term as an accurate description of those bands, let alone as an actual style of music, the riff to Stick It Out is actually pretty similar to one of the riffs on Pearl Jam's Vs. ...though I don't know which came out first.

Counterparts and Vs. were released on exactly the same date in '93.

Vs. (unfortunately) also beat out Counterparts for the #1 spot that week.

• Like 1

Still, if you want to subscribe to the term as an accurate description of those bands, let alone as an actual style of music, the riff to Stick It Out is actually pretty similar to one of the riffs on Pearl Jam's Vs. ...though I don't know which came out first.

Lol, then I guess that works out.

• Like 1

God this poll is a veritable festival of shite, isn't it?

Their two worst albums, it's like choosing between terminal bowel cancer and acute liver failure...

Oh this is tough...

They each have several of my top tier Rush songs...and also absolute garbage.

The great and the good:

Dreamline

Bravado

Roll The Bones

Where's My Thing

Heresy

Ghost Of A Chance

Animate

Between Sun And Moon

Nobody's Hero

Double Agent

Alien Shore

Speed Of Love

Cold Fire

Everyday Glory

One album has Face Up...my least favourite on that record...the other has Stick It Out...my least favourite Rush song ever...

But the highs...them highs are insane...

I go for...

An equal split

Yeah, the synth era really made Rush explode in popularity :sarcastic:

Vs. is about 6 infinity times better than Counterparts.

Yeah yeah yeah. And autumn is better than winter. Coconut cream pie better than lemon meringue pie. Blue is better than grey.

Yeah yeah yeah. And autumn is better than winter. Coconut cream pie better than lemon meringue pie. Blue is better than grey.

I agree completely.

I agree completely.

And Vs. has survived the test of time and remains incredibly relevant today. CP...didn't survive the test of 4 months. Without RTB being such a commercial success, it would have died even earlier.

I agree completely.

And Vs. has survived the test of time and remains incredibly relevant today. CP...didn't survive the test of 4 months. Without RTB being such a commercial success, it would have died even earlier.

You're trying to convince me that a Bloody Mary, a drink I don't like, is delicious.

It's irrelevant how popular the drink is if I don't like the drink after trying it enough times.

I agree completely.

You're trying to convince me that a Bloody Mary, a drink I don't like, is delicious.

It's irrelevant how popular the drink is if I don't like the drink after trying it enough times.

Um...huh? I'm stating my opinions. If you like shit sandwiches, enjoy them.